Time To Get Serious About Language Learning?

Being most recent and active on language, (in general ?)

This Is the Most Bizarre Grammar Rule You Probably Never Heard Of​

But I've been following it all my life, and so have you.
Since we all seem to know this rule by instinct, it would seem to be cut and dried, but it isn't quite. Forsyth says there are eight types of adjectives, which should be used in this order:

1. Opinion

2. Size

3. Age

4. Shape

5. Color

6. Origin

7. Material

8. Purpose

But then, the Cambridge Dictionary--which certainly seems like an authoritative source--offers a list of ten types of adjectives in a slightly different order:

1. Opinion

2. Size

3. Physical quality

4. Shape

5. Age

6. Color

7. Origin

8. Material

9. Type

10. Purpose

I never pass up an opportunity to tease my Spanish speaking students who get terrible grades in SPANISH CLASS. On the other hand, I had a student from Georgia (the country) who got top marks in Spanish class.

I said. "There simply is not much use for farmers and ranchers to learn foreign languages if there is no one in the community to talk to!"

Reading is not your strong suit.
The local labor workforce is part of our community. My wife worked along side many when she was QA manager for a local food/produce processing company.

Consider taking the chip off your shoulder.
Also read Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Wikipedia

The local labor workforce is part of our community. My wife worked along side many when she was QA manager for a local food/produce processing company.

Consider taking the chip off your shoulder.
Also read Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Wikipedia

OMG, you are another idiot who refuses to read. There is NOTHING in my statement which contradicts with yours, dickhead!

Perhaps rather you are an idiot (and dickhead) who doesn't know how to write clearly.

BTW, you seem to be out of touch with the ethnic and demographic changes in the agricultural workforce.
I write perfectly clear. Have you notices no one has come to your defense? That's because your IQ is apparently similar to the temperature of a Florida day in mid-winter.

Foreign language instruction in the US starts late and is not emphasized as much as many other subjects. Should we as a nation (more accurately, as many local school districts) change this emphasis? Every year, more and more jobs in the US are advertised as requiring at least bilingualism, and more of the higher paying jobs involve working and communicating with people in and from all over the world. Employment aside, there are many well-established social and cognitive benefits from learning other languages than one's first. Should we require a much higher standard of proficiency and/or acquisition of two or more languages as part of graduation requirements from high school?

More and more high schools offered Russian during the 70s and 80s. What might be a good option for today's global circumstances?

I write perfectly clear. Have you notices no one has come to your defense? That's because your IQ is apparently similar to the temperature of a Florida day in mid-winter.
No one needs to come to my defense.
Endorsements of my posts out number your non-existent ones, so that would contradict your claim.
Since saving face and counting coup is more important to you than discussing the topic of this thread, I'll concede and say "you win".
We've already wasted too much space and time in this spitting contest you've started.

Foreign language instruction in the US starts late and is not emphasized as much as many other subjects. Should we as a nation (more accurately, as many local school districts) change this emphasis? Every year, more and more jobs in the US are advertised as requiring at least bilingualism, and more of the higher paying jobs involve working and communicating with people in and from all over the world. Employment aside, there are many well-established social and cognitive benefits from learning other languages than one's first. Should we require a much higher standard of proficiency and/or acquisition of two or more languages as part of graduation requirements from high school?
With all these foreign native speakers flooding across our border I dont think we need more spanish or farsi speakers than we already have

For the most part, learning a foreign language in this country is a waste of time.
We already speak the right language

I learned Spanish 50 years ago and have had little chance to use it. Most has been forgotten.
When I have gone to Mexico, I spoke English….most do

Same goes when I visited Europe. I had little difficulty in finding those who speak English
Right winger fer sure

Forum List

Back