Time to Get Rid of the Rooney Rule.

Mashmont

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2022
For those who don't know, The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to interview ethnic-minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs. It is an example of affirmative action, even though there is no hiring quota or hiring preference given to minorities, only an interviewing quota.

A few days ago, fired Miami Dolphin head coach, Brian Flores who is black, filed a class-action racial discrimination lawsuit against the NFL claiming he wasn't hired for other head coaching jobs because he is black. He also claimed he was interviewed by the New York Giants AFTER they had already decided on a white coach, only because the Giants didn't want to violate the Rooney Rule. He has good evidence for that claim, because he mistakenly received a congratulary text by his former boss, Bill Belichick for being hired as the Giants' next head coach before Flores even interviewed. Turns out Belichick intended the text for Brian Daboll, who is white.

For me, the takeaway is NOT racial discrimination, it's that the Rooney Rule should be scrapped. It's a waste of time. It doesn't no good. Here's why. Let me relate a little story here.

I've been a landlord for 31 years. I learned a hard lesson early on. The law says you may not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including gender identity), familial status, or disability. I rented to a single white mom with three biracial children. She looked good on paper, but I had an uneasy feeling. She grew up in the bad part of town, but pulled herself up by becoming a nurse, the first in her family to achieve anything. I didn't really want to rent to her, but ultimately decided I "should" give her a chance. Well, upon move-in time, I realized I had made a huge mistake. She had relatives 'visiting' her for days and weeks on end. She ended up sneaking in her brother and his family. The brought in a big dog without permission that urinated on the carpets. A parade of men came and went. The kids were out of control, and my house was trashed. From that moment on, I decided to rent to whomever I wanted for whatever reason I wanted. I also decided if I didn't want someone, they weren't getting the house for whatever reason I chose, and that no government entity could make me do otherwise. If asked for a reason when someone is rejected, I never give any. I simply say "I've decided to move in a different direction" or "I decided to give it to another family". Since then, I've rented to every group on the protected class, but it has always been because they were qualified and for no other reason.

And it's the same with businesses. Personnel managers hire whom they want for whatever reason they want, and no government law can change that. When it's your family's livelihood at stake, you can't mess around by being politically correct. You have to make the best decision for your business.

You don't ask someone to waste time interviewing or hiring for reasons other than qualifications, because they won't do it. Human nature says people will hire the people they want to hire for whatever reasons they choose, and that's the way it should be. It's wrong that the Giants were forced to interview a candidate they didn't want. It's just another example of a failed stupid leftwing policy.

Last edited:
My question is what Marxist organization put Flores up to this lawsuit? It fits right in the with divisive race agenda.

Does anyone really believe that the Negro Football League discriminates against Black coaches?

In most sports, the best players rarely make good coaches. The people who work out best are the ones with marginal talent, who had to work their butts off to even make the team. For that reason, it is not rational to expect the ratio of Blacks players to be reflected in the coaching ranks.

The key here is the logical fallacy of "disparate impact." Just because few head coaches are Black does not prove that individual applicants were rejected because of racial animus. On the contrary, given the player demographics, one would think the owners would favor a Black coach if he is even marginally qualified.

Forum List

Back