Time to buy LED lightbulbs.

I no longer buy incandescent but I use my old supply in the winter since they do give off heat, thus capturing the heat and using it offset the heating bill.

And in the summer, do you replace them with Cool White LEDs to help cool down the house?

But....and I know there will be liberals who try to deny this...if you put an LED lamp within about 5-feet of an AM radio you'll save a little money since you'll turn the radio off 'cause the LED hash will make it useless. Maybe there are premium LED lamps that don't do this but I haven't found any.

This must be frustrating for both of the people who listen to AM radio.

You have no fucking clue, jackass. I was educating people by stating facts, dumbass. Others undoubtedly learned because I shared my specialized knowledge.

The sh1t you dig out of your ass are not facts. How does saving poor people $500/year in utility costs by switching to LEDs constitute "f1cking the poor" as you say it does? Where does the AMA come out against warm LEDs in the home, as you claim they do. All you do is spread ignorance.

Hard learners such as yourself simply refuse to learn. You are doomed to remain an idiot.

Every time you don't answer my questions, you prove you're only talking to yourself.

I no longer buy incandescent but I use my old supply in the winter since they do give off heat, thus capturing the heat and using it offset the heating bill.

The heat from your incandescent bulbs costs several times as much as heat from your furnace. Your following a money-losing strategy.

USMB Republicans have been critical of LED bulbs insisting they are two expensive.

95% of the energy used by an incandescent bulb is converted to heat, the remaining 5% is light. Run a 60 watt incandescent bulb for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. What do you feel?

Run an LED bulb that's comparable for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. Feel any heat at all?

LED bulbs last 50 times longer.

Just saw an add on TV for four 60 Watt comparable LED bulbs for $4.99..

That brings the cost of LED bulbs in line with the cost of incandescent bulbs. As LED bulbs are used more and more, the cost will continue to decline. How many lights in your house?

New "Light Recycling" Incandescent Bulbs Could Outperform Energy-Efficient LEDs

But all is not lost. Scientists are figuring out a way to recycle the heat which might eventually make incandescent bulbs more efficient.
I'm a conservative (new here to USMB). I view conservation as being a conservative value, I'm not sure when it no longer was one. In terms of different kinds of bulbs, a lot of it depends on where you live and the climate. I live in the Sunbelt (Florida), and it's a no-brainer to get LED bulbs. Why? Well, I pay more to cool my house than I do to heat it. LED (and CFL bulbs before them), produce more light for the same amount of electricity and with less heat. I have to pay to get heat out of my house, so it makes sense to produce less heat. I've got a few LED bulbs, but that's because I'm waiting for my CFLs to burn out. I replaced (and am still replacing) my old incandescent bulbs (i've been in process for about ten years now) I don't replace working bulbs with more energy efficient ones, so I still have a handful of incandescents and a whole lot of CFLs.

While you have that LED Bulb in your hand, feel the weight. There is a separate power supply and a MASSIVE heat sink as part of the design. It's not that LEDs generate no heat. They generate heat over a smaller area thus making it necessary to use extensive materials to "fan out" that heat or cause the LEDs to die prematurely. They do generate somewhat less heat. Which leads to your 2nd "misconception"..

All that "heat" from an incandescent is not wasted. In the right season, when the household has the HVAC on heat cycle --- every lighting Watt going to heat --- REDUCES the load on the HVAC system. It is NOT wasted. And far more lighting is used in the Fall/Winter when days are short.

This effect is so significant, that it is reflected in the Energy Efficiency calculations for HVAC sizing. Mostly LED lighting can increase the SIZE of the HVAC unit used.
Only in winter. At least where I live, my major cost is cooling, not heating, so incandescents make less sense. The LED is producing less heat per unit of lighting.

LED bulbs would save you hundreds of dollars. They last a loooong time.

I bet I must have at least 150-200 light bulbs. Twice I filled a shopping cart up half with them. I have maybe $25 invested in all of them. After Brarackass The Jackass meddled in the free market and didn't leave it up to free will and market forces for people to decide what they wanted to use and misused his governmental power and forced the closing of all the light bulb factories, they were practically giving them away in stores. I'll use them till the day I die just to spite that jackass asshole bastard. If they cost me a little more, I don't care, I can afford it. I have a whole big closet shelf filled with them! I've had people over who said: "Where did you get all those light bulbs?!" You can't buy them anymore and a lot of people wish they could find them. I'm not selling any of mine.

Not a big Obama fan, but I do like to leave the blame to the appropriate people. The law that began the phaseout was Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 which was signed into law by GW Bush (it was passed by the Democratic House, with few Republican votes, and by the Democratic Senate (pretty bipartisan vote) It wasn't implemented until 2012 (which was the Obama admin). Interestingly, Obama was in the Senate at the time, and he didn't vote for it (he was absent).

When you pry it from my cold, dead hand ...

Don't worry, that hand won't be too cold. Your light bulb will help keep it warm. Ever been out under a car in winter with a trouble light? That little bit of warmth is a blessing. And what about germinators for seedlings and things where the warmth actually helps stimulate growth? There are a thousand ways that incandescents serve better over these newer complicated, high cost replacements.
And you can still buy incandescents for those sorts of things.

When you pry it from my cold, dead hand ...

Don't worry, that hand won't be too cold. Your light bulb will help keep it warm. Ever been out under a car in winter with a trouble light? That little bit of warmth is a blessing. And what about germinators for seedlings and things where the warmth actually helps stimulate growth? There are a thousand ways that incandescents serve better over these newer complicated, high cost replacements.

Light bulbs are light bulbs. If LEDs are truly a better product, it should have been sufficient to let the market decide that.

But, bans on incandescents, taxpayer funded subsidies to replace, expensive PSAs to inform me of the benefits of LEDs, it all stinks of evangelism.

Trust me .... THIS isn't going to sell me anything.

IMG20149152958HI.jpg

I started going away from incandescents around the time the law was passed phasing them out. Why? CFLs were getting reasonably priced. Now that my CFLs are burning out, I'm replacing them with LEDs. I don't miss incandescents much, in general. It's a pain to change light bulbs. I'd rather do it every five years (or 15 years with LEDs) than every year.

And, you really are spending hundreds of dollar extra each year by not going to LED bulbs.

Please show me where two-60 watt incandescent bulbs burning 6-12 hours per day cost me two hundred dollars a year each.

I much prefer the color.
Let's see. 120-watts for 10 hours a day (for ease of calculation) will be 1200 watt-hours per day, or 1.2 kWh a day. Multiply that by 365 days a year, and we have 438 kWh a year. U.S. average is $0.12 per kWh, or $52.56 a year.

There was no purpose served in mandating we quit manufacturing incandescent bulb of 60 and 100 watts forcing people to buy A bulb for $25.00-$50.00 which required a hazmat team if one was broken. Once again the Progressives, the saviors of the low-income household did the most damage to the low-income household.

Once the price of alternative light bulbs became competitive, they would have phased themselves out without the government's intervention.
I agree. Around the time that the government intervention was passed (which was 4 years or so before it went into effect), I was already phasing out incandescents for CFLs on my own--based on common sense while living in the SunBelt. Now, as many of my second set of CFLs are burning out (they last 4 or 5 years), I'm replacing with LEDs, as LEDs are now at my cost point. I do agree that CFL (and to a lesser extent LED) lighting isn't as nice as incandescent, but the savings both in time and money are worth it, IMHO.

I'm convinced that you are too stupid to understand the complicated physics involved regarding human biology and electromagnetic radiation.

I literally have more intelligence in my pinkie than you have in your entire body. Of course, my great brain is not confined to my cranium.... I mean, if it were, my head would be as big as beach ball, instead of insanely handsome and perfectly proportioned.

The infrared and near infrared electromagnetic radiation emanating from incandescent bulbs warms a person's body very efficiently and even stimulates mitochondria. It promotes healing. It is very therapeutic.

Fine. Get an LED bulb for the lamp and an infrared space heater that directs the magic straight at your aunt. If you stick the the high-watt bulb in the lamp, most of that magical therapeutic energy is wasted in the room and ceiling, not to mention causing higher cooling bills in summer.

You are too stupid to understand why some people prefer this light bulb or that light bulb or another light bulb. You are too ignorant of science to know why I prefer a total-spectrum CFL over the herb garden in my kitchen, prefer LEDs in my flashlights, and prefer incandescents in my dining room and livingroom.

Fuck off, jackass.

Full-spectrum CFL kitchen herb garden, how ghetto. :biggrin:
A space heater for every room? You're fucking loony.

Incandescent bulbs have therapeutic properties. LED bulbs do not. In fact, they are detrimental to your health. The American Medical Association has issued a warning regarding LED bulbs. The LEDs are not good for your eyes and fuck with your circadian rhythm. And some people can lower their thermostats when they use incandescents.

You jackasses want to hurt elderly people and fuck the poor.
INcandescent bulbs have therapeutic qualities? Evidence please.

A typical space heater is about 1500 watts. I don't think I've ever had that many lights in a room.

Incandescents excess heat cost me extra money to pump the heat out of the house 8 months a year.

USMB Republicans have been critical of LED bulbs insisting they are two expensive.

95% of the energy used by an incandescent bulb is converted to heat, the remaining 5% is light. Run a 60 watt incandescent bulb for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. What do you feel?

Run an LED bulb that's comparable for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. Feel any heat at all?

LED bulbs last 50 times longer.

Just saw an add on TV for four 60 Watt comparable LED bulbs for $4.99..

That brings the cost of LED bulbs in line with the cost of incandescent bulbs. As LED bulbs are used more and more, the cost will continue to decline. How many lights in your house?

New "Light Recycling" Incandescent Bulbs Could Outperform Energy-Efficient LEDs

But all is not lost. Scientists are figuring out a way to recycle the heat which might eventually make incandescent bulbs more efficient.
Look man, you win ok? We all agree that you are the looniest lib moron here! You win the title, no reason to keep proving each hour how deranged you are.

91e177248050411c2d106eefd3100536.jpg

Charging your mobile devices is now comparable to operating a refrigerator. One fancy phone will equal the load of a refrigerator by itself.

I call bullshit on the above. A phone charger uses about 2 kWh a year. A typical fridge uses about 350 kWh a year.

How Much Electricity Do Your Gadgets Really Use?
How much energy does a refrigerator use? - by Mr. Electricity

Many problems with those estimates. The first is that the first link is from 2013. The Iphone capacity has roughly doubled since then. Furthermore losses in the charger itself or leaving it plugged in all the time are not included and easily double the raw phone battery size. The original conflict stems from a SYSTEM estimate of the total energy usage of a cellphone. NOT just charging it. It includes the energy use to routers/networks/cell service etc.

There was faulty study that got HIGHLY magnified by MANY media sources which touted a HIGH-BALLED estimate putting the overall phone energy usage quite close to refrigerator. That was in 2013 also. See for instance

Your iPhone Uses More Energy Than A Refrigerator? Controversial New Research Spurs Debate | HuffPost

BUT since 2013, refrigs have 1/2've their energy use and all those "energy factors" for your cell phone have greatly increased. (more than doubled) INCLUDING data usage and the raw phone power requirements. It's a war of "estimates".. But I figure since 2013 with the closing gap between refrigerators and cell phones -- we're probably closer to parity now than in 2013.

Last edited:
I switched to LED bulbs long ago also replaced my HVAC system with an energy efficient system that also has a environmental control system on it. Has an air filtration system like a hospital. Switch to a tank less hot water heater. Paid money up front and am saving money on the back end. In about two more years all these change will have finally paid for themselves.

Also many people do not realize that they have poor windows that allow heat and air to escape.

So I have energy efficient windows with UV coating so the house will not over heat during summer.

Doing just one thing will not offset the other things like an inefficient HVAC system or windows that allow the air to pass through.

So buying LED bulbs may not ever show a savings at all if you have inefficient system in your home.

Let's see. 120-watts for 10 hours a day (for ease of calculation) will be 1200 watt-hours per day, or 1.2 kWh a day. Multiply that by 365 days a year, and we have 438 kWh a year. U.S. average is $0.12 per kWh, or $52.56 a year.

Most people use far more lighting than that. Nearly every switch in the house turns on at least two bulbs, in some rooms as many as six bulbs. People who aren't energy conscience have at least a dozen bulbs on half the day.

INcandescent bulbs have therapeutic qualities? Evidence please.

The idiot who who says incandescent bulbs have therapeutic qualities evidence is that he claims to be an expert and that the AMA issued a warning against LED bulbs. Although, on the AMA website (he provided no links), all I could find was a caution against using cool-temp LEDs on street lights (because of their high blue light content), nothing about warm LEDs in homes. But, that same sh1t-for-brains idiot accused me of wanting to "fuck the poor" with LED savings! Truly, he is an idiot.

Incandescents excess heat cost me extra money to pump the heat out of the house 8 months a year.

Incandescent bulbs are the most expensive way to heat a home in winter. So, those incandescent bulbs cost more 12 months of the year.

Charging your mobile devices is now comparable to operating a refrigerator. One fancy phone will equal the load of a refrigerator by itself.

I call bullshit on the above. A phone charger uses about 2 kWh a year. A typical fridge uses about 350 kWh a year.

How Much Electricity Do Your Gadgets Really Use?
How much energy does a refrigerator use? - by Mr. Electricity

Many problems with those estimates. The first is that the first link is from 2013. The Iphone capacity has roughly doubled since then. Furthermore losses in the charger itself or leaving it plugged in all the time are not included and easily double the raw phone battery size. The original conflict stems from a SYSTEM estimate of the total energy usage of a cellphone. NOT just charging it. It includes the energy use to routers/networks/cell service etc.

There was faulty study that got HIGHLY magnified by MANY media sources which touted a HIGH-BALLED estimate putting the overall phone energy usage quite close to refrigerator. That was in 2013 also. See for instance

Your iPhone Uses More Energy Than A Refrigerator? Controversial New Research Spurs Debate | HuffPost

BUT since 2013, refrigs have 1/2've their energy use and all those "energy factors" for your cell phone have greatly increased. (more than doubled) INCLUDING data usage and the raw phone power requirements. It's a war of "estimates".. But I figure since 2013 with the closing gap between refrigerators and cell phones -- we're probably closer to parity now than in 2013.

Please show your evidence that refrigerators have halved their energy use since 2013. Now, maybe since 2000, but not since 2013.

Did you even read the article you posted beyond the headline? Heres an interesting excerpt from the Time article linked in the Huffpo article:
[UPDATE: You can see the calculations behind the specific iPhone comparison, which was done by Max Luke of the Breakthrough Institute, at the bottom of the post. It’s important to note that the amount of energy used by any smartphone will vary widely depending on how much wireless data the device is using, as well as the amount of power consumed in making those wireless connections—estimates for which vary. The above examples assumes a relatively heavy use of 1.58 GB a month—a figure taken from a survey of Verizon iPhone users last year. (Details at bottom of post.) That accounts for the high-end estimate of the total power the phone would be consuming over the course of a year. NPD Connected Intelligence, by contrast, estimates that the average smartphone is using about 1 GB of cellular data a month, and in the same survey that reported high data use from Verizon iPhone users, T-Mobile iPhone users reported just 0.19 GB of data use a month—though that’s much lower than any other service. Beyond the amount of wireless data being streamed, total energy consumption also depends on estimates of how much energy is consumed per GB of data. The top example assumes that every GB burns through 19 kW of electricity. That would be close to a worst-case model. The Centre for Energy-Efficient Communications (CEET) in Melbourne assumes a much lower estimate of 2 kWh per GB of wireless data, which would lead to a much lower electricity consumption estimate as well—as little as 4.6 kWh a year with the low T-Mobile data use. In the original version of the post, I should have noted that there is a significant range in estimates of power use by wireless networks, and that this study goes with the very high end.]

The Surprisingly Large Energy Footprint of the Digital Economy [UPDATE] | TIME.com

Just FYI, the energy guide for what I think of as a typical family refrigerator (I have a similar model). It uses about 700 KWH per year. If anything, I understated the real engery use of a refrigerator. Regardless, a single smartphone isn't close to the energy usage of a refrigerator.
Samsung - 24.5 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Thru-the-Door Ice and Water - Stainless Steel
4126131_eg.jpg;maxHeight=500;maxWidth=500

Forum List

Back