Time to Bust Up Teacher Unions

Bullshit.

If we increased teacher pay and raised the barrier to entry we would get better teachers.
Nope.
Teachers are already overpaid.

Bullshit from a constant purveyor of the lowest quality bullshit!

I have 20 year-old kids with high school diplomas working for me making more than the starting salary for a teacher with at least 5 years of college.
Which ones have 5 months of vacation a year, tenure and lifetime benefits?

They bargain against the very people that pay them

Do you think public school teachers make too much money? Where I live some of them start as low as 35k/yr after 6 years of college.
Let's see now sit on their asses for a quarter of the year, free healthcare, retirement etc. etc. Lots of paid vacation time and days off. I don't see were they have it so tough.
Tell ya what, lets just do the hell away with public education since it sucks so bad and let free enterprise take over. I'm sure the good teachers will make out much better since there are so few of them while the crappy ones can flip burgers for a living. Plus after the parents are writing monthly checks for Johnny and Suzy's schooling maybe they'll suddenly give a shit that they're actually getting their money's worth for a change.

Public schoolteacher here. Almost no teachers have "free healthcare" anymore. I have a high family deductible and pay hundreds of dollars monthly out of my paycheck for it. Been that way for years.

Also, teacher shortage is painful in lots of places due in no small part to this attitude right here. It is what it is now. No going back.

Nope.

Maybe you're undervaluing what teachers do and the profound impact they have on society.
Look, you’re acknowledging those teachers should not be teaching.

The issue is Unions keep them from being fired.

Exactly how do they do that? You have no clue do you?

It's called due process!
Thanks for validating my point. You are clueless.

Time to end teachers getting special treatment and start getting treated as the private workforce does.

My husband has been in the private sector for 20+ years. When he hit all the years at his company, he got nice bonuses.

I got a certificate.

He gets perks. I get....nothing.

He gets raises. Again I get....nothing. Bashed, I get bashed.

He gets to work from home two days a week. From late August through early June, I go to work five days a week, no matter what, and there is NO flexibility in my day.

But we know, your kids were homeschooled and they loved it so much. RIGHT?

They bargain against the very people that pay them

Do you think public school teachers make too much money? Where I live some of them start as low as 35k/yr after 6 years of college.
Let's see now sit on their asses for a quarter of the year, free healthcare, retirement etc. etc. Lots of paid vacation time and days off. I don't see were they have it so tough.
Tell ya what, lets just do the hell away with public education since it sucks so bad and let free enterprise take over. I'm sure the good teachers will make out much better since there are so few of them while the crappy ones can flip burgers for a living. Plus after the parents are writing monthly checks for Johnny and Suzy's schooling maybe they'll suddenly give a shit that they're actually getting their money's worth for a change.

How many incredibly talented people choose not to be teachers because of the shitty pay? I think we should pay them a lot more, give them better conditions to work in and then raise the bar for entry.

Thank you, but it's really all over now. I mean it: it is.

Those of you who have young kids, I'm sorry. No young people are going into teaching, and those who are, who have any kind of head on their shoulders? They're gonna get out in very short order.

It's a hot mess and the culture has finally turned so bad and cynical it's not worth it anymore, not if you're starting out. And I love teaching to my baby toenail; I'm a "born teacher", I'm called a "master teacher".

But it's over.

And may the Devil take the hindmost

Nope.

Maybe you're undervaluing what teachers do and the profound impact they have on society.

It's called due process!

Time to end teachers getting special treatment and start getting treated as the private workforce does.

My husband has been in the private sector for 20+ years. When he hit all the years at his company, he got nice bonuses.

I got a certificate.

He gets to work from home two days a week. From late August through early June, I go to work five days a week, no matter what, and there is NO flexibility in my day.

Your hubby get 5 months of vacation a year?

Is that NOT the choice they made? Did they not know the pay scale, pros, and cons of the career before their first day of college?

Like everyone else, they are paid exactly what they are worth. No more, no less.

It's called due process!

I got a certificate.

What are you talking about "five months of vacation"? Did you even read my post?

How much did your kids love the homeschooling?

As far as I'm concerned no one working in the public sector should be allowed to have a union. So starters, they're already represented at the polls.

One-hundred percent true!! FDR, a staunch supporter of unions said exactly the same thing.

Here is what a top official of a teachers union had to say about their priorities. Not pretty and certainly not surprising.

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Pretty much says it all.

As far as I'm concerned no one working in the public sector should be allowed to have a union. So starters, they're already represented at the polls.

One-hundred percent true!! FDR, a staunch supporter of unions said exactly the same thing.

Here is what a top official of a teachers union had to say about their priorities. Not pretty and certainly not surprising.

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Pretty much says it all.

This public school teacher doesn't pay them one red cent.

Is that NOT the choice they made? Did they not know the pay scale, pros, and cons of the career before their first day of college?

Like everyone else, they are paid exactly what they are worth. No more, no less.

That's a dumb thing to say when you know public school teachers cannot negotiate our own salaries individually.

It's called due process!

I got a certificate.

What are you talking about "five months of vacation"? Did you even read my post?

Sure teachers work 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. Riiiiight.....

My career was common to work 60 hours a week, 2AM calls, and got 2 weeks vacation and 6 holidays a year. On a fixed salary.

No complaints. I signed up for it.

Teachers today get 5 months vacations well as ‘flex days’ every month where the teachers can just take random days off. I know of one school we’re a teacher calls in sick every Friday. For years. And she’s still working there.

So cry me a River.

It's called due process!

I got a certificate.

My career was common to work 60 hours a week, 2AM calls, and got 2 weeks vacation and 6 holidays a year. On a fixed salary.

Teachers today get 5 months vacations well as ‘flex days’ every month where the teachers can just take random days off. I know of one school we’re a teacher calls in sick every Friday. For years. And she’s still working there.

So cry me a River.

How in the world do we get "five months off".

Show your math. Or wait, is that homeschooling math?

I got a certificate.

So cry me a River.

Show me teachers working 5 days a week 52 weeks a year.

I got a certificate.

So cry me a River.

Show me teachers working 5 days a week 52 weeks a year.

Moving the goalposts homeschooler. You said we get "five months off a year". Show your work.

Bullshit.

If we increased teacher pay and raised the barrier to entry we would get better teachers.
Nope.

I have 20 year-old kids with high school diplomas working for me making more than the starting salary for a teacher with at least 5 years of college.

Here is where you said five months a year, Weatherman. Is this how you homeschooled your kids--taught them to say something and then run away from it?

Bullshit.

Nope.

Here is where you said five months a year, Weatherman. Is this how you homeschooled your kids--taught them to say something and then run away from it?
Simple math, so easy a public school teacher can do it. Teachers get an entire season of the calendar, every Federal holiday, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Easter, plus ‘flex time’, and sick time they can take at anytime.

Plus teachers don’t have to put in 40 hours a week even.

Bullshit.

Nope.

Simple math, so easy a public school teacher can do it. Teachers get an entire season of the calendar, every Federal holiday, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Easter, plus ‘flex time’, and sick time they can take at anytime.

So you know my calendar better than I do? That's amazing. Really amazing.

You're wrong, of course. My last day this year was June 7th. We go back August 21st. Even including federal holidays--which almost everyone has btw--and 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week at Easter, and two days in Feb and two at Thanksgiving, that's 14 weeks. Not even close to "five months".

My workday is 8-4. So you're wrong there too.

Were you wrong so much when you homeschooled your kids? That's scary.

Nope.

So you know my calendar better than I do? That's amazing. Really amazing.

You're wrong, of course. My last day this year was June 7th. We go back August 21st. Even including federal holidays--which almost everyone has btw--and 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week at Easter, and two days in Feb and two at Thanksgiving, that's 14 weeks. Not even close to "five months".

My workday is 8-4. So you're wrong there too.

Were you wrong so much when you homeschooled your kids? That's scary.
14 weeks off a year, paid lunch breaks, and can’t get fired if you follow simple rules. And let’s not forget your floating days off. Plus lifetime salary and benefits based upon your last year of pay.

You make my point. You’re like most teachers- no clue to what goes on in the real world.

Collective bargaining is an employees right

Says who? I sure as hell didn't have any in the Air Force. It was yes sir or suffer the consequence including jail or even being stood up in front of a firing squad and being shot to death. I don't hear anyone here whining about military pay and believe you me I put in lots of overtime that I wasn't paid for. You wanna talk about working conditions now? How about having your ass shot at while sloshing around in a swamp and eating shit out of a can for months. About time these teachers either got a real job or stop their endless incessant whining. If they don't like their job, the door is always open which I remind you it isn't for our servicemen.
Armed Forces are not employees

Forum List

Back