Throw-away, consumerist society killing the ocean/s

We're polluting rivers, streams, ground water, oceans, and cutting down our forests. We're polluting the air we breath and contaminating the food we eat. We're not very good stewards of our natural resources. Oh, plastic is made from oil.
exactly my point. Many people are short-sighted and a consumerist society only feeds right into it.

What type of society do you favor? Agrarian? Anti-technological? Just curious...

How about one that wastes far fewer of the resources they have than we do?

I am ALL for that. The issue is when government decide that draconian measures are what is called for. Moderation, everything iodation.

Why is it being dumped there in the first place? Is this practice not illegal?
ever heard of the Citarum River? check this out:

River Pollution - GGY230F10 - Lipscomb - Confluence
The Citarum River is the largest and longest river in Western Java, Indonesia. The river originates in the Wayang Mountain and travels around in northern direction for about over 200 miles until it empties into the Java Sea. The Citarum River supplies water for large cities like Jakarta and Bandung and the 10 million people who live there The Citarum River basin area is over 7000 square miles covering 12 districts . It irrigates thousands of acres of rice and vegetables and also provides energy from hydropower. Today the Citarum River is known as one of the world’s dirtiest rivers. Economic development and population growth are factors to blame for overuse and increasing industrial pollution over the last twenty years. Deforestation is destroying ecosystems and causing soil erosion, siltation and flooding.3
dirty-river-4.jpg

Ummm, that's Malaysia. Not exactly a "consumerist" society. Does show that collective governments don't give a crap about their environments though. The Warsaw Pact countries were festering shitholes after the wall came down. It took some serious capitalism to clean them up.

No, it is Java. Can't you read? What about capitalist countries LIKE OURS?

valleydrums.jpg

Do you ever think before you post?

Java is an island. I did misspeak though, the country is Indonesia, I referenced the country to the north.

Ever notice the packaging on some stuff? Tiny little part or item..HUGE plastic package it comes wrapped in. Plus, the pain in the joints to OPEN the damn thing, then it takes up half your garbage can space when discarded. It's ludicrous.

WE are killing our planet. Naysayers can laugh it off all they want cuz by the time it is unfixable (like now), they will be dead and they won't have to suffer the consequences.
why aren't you recycling?

Ever notice the packaging on some stuff? Tiny little part or item..HUGE plastic package it comes wrapped in. Plus, the pain in the joints to OPEN the damn thing, then it takes up half your garbage can space when discarded. It's ludicrous.

WE are killing our planet. Naysayers can laugh it off all they want cuz by the time it is unfixable (like now), they will be dead and they won't have to suffer the consequences.

What used to be wrapped in biodegradable wax paper or butchers paper is now plastic and styrofoam. Over packaging of materials is ridiculous. We see it all the time when we order supplies - one TINY item, in a huge box full of styrofoam peanuts. Some companies are improving though, and trying to reduce the plastic use. Too much ends up in the oceans and the oceans aren't the bottomless garbage dump people used to think they were.
that's because we now buy on line. That's the only reason for that uptick. If we still all bought items at a store, the only packaging would be in bulk and not individual items.

so curious after some more thought Dot, you stated we should do something about something. Not sure what the something is. Isn't recycling doing something about it? Is it you don't want to ship water, soda, milk, etc to people? So you wish them to parish? Dude, don't you think that is excessive?

The Citarum River is the largest and longest river in Western Java, Indonesia. The river originates in the Wayang Mountain and travels around in northern direction for about over 200 miles until it empties into the Java Sea. The Citarum River supplies water for large cities like Jakarta and Bandung and the 10 million people who live there The Citarum River basin area is over 7000 square miles covering 12 districts . It irrigates thousands of acres of rice and vegetables and also provides energy from hydropower. Today the Citarum River is known as one of the world’s dirtiest rivers. Economic development and population growth are factors to blame for overuse and increasing industrial pollution over the last twenty years. Deforestation is destroying ecosystems and causing soil erosion, siltation and flooding.3
dirty-river-4.jpg

Ummm, that's Malaysia. Not exactly a "consumerist" society. Does show that collective governments don't give a crap about their environments though. The Warsaw Pact countries were festering shitholes after the wall came down. It took some serious capitalism to clean them up.

Mexico is another prime example. The people there dont give a rats ass about pollution and they bring that attitude here.
I watched a mexican lady leaving the grocery store the other day snatch a candy wrapper from her kids hand and just drop it in the parking lot.
Who the hell does that this day and age?

Guess what? I've seen Americans do far worse. Like this:
We're polluting rivers, streams, ground water, oceans, and cutting down our forests. We're polluting the air we breath and contaminating the food we eat. We're not very good stewards of our natural resources. Oh, plastic is made from oil.
exactly my point. Many people are short-sighted and a consumerist society only feeds right into it.

What type of society do you favor? Agrarian? Anti-technological? Just curious...

I am ALL for that. The issue is when government decide that draconian measures are what is called for. Moderation, everything iodation.

Since the government (at the urging of affected parties and their representatives) is the only entity that will ever insist that these things get cleaned up (rarely, if ever, have the responsible parties volunteered to do it themselves), those responsible parties have no right to complain when it gets "hard". Grow up and stop throwing your waste out the car window, into our streams, lakes, and the oceans.

dirty-river-4.jpg

valleydrums.jpg

Java is an island. I did misspeak though, the country is Indonesia, I referenced the country to the north.

Malaysia is also an Island (and a country).

dirty-river-4.jpg

Mexico is another prime example. The people there dont give a rats ass about pollution and they bring that attitude here.
I watched a mexican lady leaving the grocery store the other day snatch a candy wrapper from her kids hand and just drop it in the parking lot.

Since the government (at the urging of affected parties and their representatives) is the only entity that will ever insist that these things get cleaned up (rarely, if ever, have the responsible parties volunteered to do it themselves), those responsible parties have no right to complain when it gets "hard". Grow up and stop throwing your waste out the car window, into our streams, lakes, and the oceans.
you have heard of recycling right? Private business does this. No government dude.

BTW, tell you lamo peers to use it.

dirty-river-4.jpg

valleydrums.jpg

Yes, I know. However, Java is an island, within the country of Indonesia.

dirty-river-4.jpg

you have heard of recycling right? Private business does this. No government dude.

Have you ever heard of light pollution?

dirty-river-4.jpg

valleydrums.jpg

It's still not Malaysia. You're welcome. :)

dirty-river-4.jpg

Have you ever heard of light pollution?

valleydrums.jpg

It's still not Malaysia. You're welcome. :)

That's true, I missed by a few miles.

Forum List

Back