Those MLB Talks...???

It is becoming clear that the biggest sticking point is th CBT, the question of whether to raise the level by $10 million or more, or not at all.

1. Players want it wayyyy up, so lots of players can be paid more withouth the team having to pay that tax.
The players are claiming that keeping it low is essentially a cap on salaries.
Three of the four big sports have caps.

2. Owners want it to stay at $210 million so they can reason not to give sky high contracts.

3. Look at the states above: only three teams went over $210 million.
And some teams spent only about 10% of that amount.

4. How about we have a real salary cap......but also a salary floor.
If you can't pay $50 million to an entire team, then the home venue can't support major league baseball......three teams would be gone, or fans would pony up.

It would fill the wishes of both sides.

Let's play ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is becoming clear that the biggest sticking point is th CBT, the question of whether to raise the level by $10 million or more, or not at all.

1. Players want it wayyyy up, so lots of players can be paid more withouth the team having to pay that tax.
The players are claiming that keeping it low is essentially a cap on salaries.
Three of the four big sports have caps.

2. Owners want it to stay at $210 million so they can reason not to give sky high contracts.

3. Look at the states above: only three teams went over $210 million.
And some teams spent only about 10% of that amount.

4. How about we have a real salary cap......but also a salary floor.
If you can't pay $50 million to an entire team, then the home venue can't support major league baseball......three teams would be gone, or fans would pony up.

It would fill the wishes of both sides.

Let's play ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's insane to keep raising the cap just so the top players can make all that money while the supporting cast are stuck with the minimum! I haven't been to a baseball game since '95 and haven't even watched a full game since my White Sox won it all over Houston back in '05! It's just not worth watching anymore IMO! Everything about it is overpriced; hence all those empty seats at most games! They're going to lose what few fans they have and cable will sooner or later say "Fk off!" :dunno: :eek::stir::itsok:

"MLB lockout ends as MLBPA, owners reach agreement: Live updates, reaction to baseball's return

MLB's lockout is set to end in its 99th day

[IMG alt=" R.J. Anderson
"]https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2017/07/07/7ccc5316-db89-4357-8b13-1ed9506251d1/thumbnail/80x80/9a48915f2351dbd22e7205e11d767a88/rj-anderson-700.png[/IMG]

By R.J. Anderson

13 mins ago

I prefer the NL style of play, more strategy involved.
Was there? I mean I guess there was occasionally a decision point for the manager to pull his pitcher to pinch hit for him vice taking the auto out but that was a pretty minuscule part of the game.

One Conf. without a DH used to be what set them apart when referencing them on ESPN as the "Major" and/or "Junior" League IIRC! I don't watch Baseball anymore so makes little sense watching their results or commentary during the season! I just think all concerned have a lot of nerve with how $$ has gotten out of hand in a sport few really watch! ESPN's made sport of baseball by describing patrons disguised as "empty seats!" I used to be a huge ATL Braves fan back in the 90's but they couldn't fill the seats in the playoffs or World Series at times! ATL didn't deserve their sports' teams! Living in Sacramento years ago for about a decade, the franchises there had never failed "selling out" for the "Kings" of basketball and a World football league team I didn't pay attention to! Being sustained with Cable money just to say it's an option is a huge amenity on the dial just to say it's there! :stir: :itsok::dunno::eek:

Was there? I mean I guess there was occasionally a decision point for the manager to pull his pitcher to pinch hit for him vice taking the auto out but that was a pretty minuscule part of the game.

It is not really that minuscule, but it will not keep me from watching the games that is for sure

It is not really that minuscule, but it will not keep me from watching the games that is for sure
How many times a year does that factor into a game? Like really factor in? I get that if a pitcher was getting close to getting pulled and he was also coming up to bat they might pull him an out or 2 early or something, but it was rare that they pulled a pitcher who was dealing in a close game for a hitter.

How many times a year does that factor into a game? Like really factor in? I get that if a pitcher was getting close to getting pulled and he was also coming up to bat they might pull him an out or 2 early or something, but it was rare that they pulled a pitcher who was dealing in a close game for a hitter.

It can be a factor in every game that is not a blowout.

And also there were a lot more bunts and hit and runs in the NL.

But older players that can't hack it in the field will be able to keep playing longer

One of the biggest responsibilities that catchers have at the higher levels is stealing strikes. Framing pitches on the edges that might be balls to get them called strikes by the umpire. I would argue it's their most important job. The pitching coach can (and now alot of the time does) call the game and pitchers shouldn't be throwing that many balls in the dirt (unless it's called) or missing his spots by much in the MLB. Stolen bases are way down as it is. Take away the catcher's responsibility to frame pitches and no one will be able to steal on them. Unles the pitcher just doesnt hold them on or there's a passed ball or something.

Forum List

Back