This Texas Gun Owner Has Been An NRA Member For 46 Years. Now He’s Speaking Out.

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
“It’s mind-boggling they could come up with laws like that.”

Bernie Phillip is a 75-year-old Texas grandfather who owns nearly 20 guns ― enough, he says, “to take care of business.” He’s an avid hunter, and has been a National Rifle Association member for 46 years.

But this week, for the first time in his life, Phillip broke with the gun-rights group. He wrote to his state representative urging him to oppose two bills that would loosen restrictions on guns. HB 375 would allow Texans to carry a gun without a permit or license, and HB 560 get rid of gun-free zones, including schools, for people with a license to carry.

“I’m all for our 2nd Amendment rights but these two bills are downright irresponsible,” Phillip wrote in the letter, which has since gone viral on the internet. “I pride myself on gun safety and being a responsible gun owner. Neither of these bills further the cause of making our great state safer for my 5-year-old granddaughter. The thought of another parent being able to carry a gun in my granddaughter’s school when she goes to kindergarten next year is terrifying. There’s just no need for that.”

C2A9mqqVEAAO4yB.jpg

”It’s insane, no doubt about it,” Phillip said in an interview. “It’s mind-boggling they could come up with laws like that.”

Phillip said he’s discussed the legislation with his hunting buddies, also NRA members. “They’ve said, ‘Oh yeah, that’s ridiculous,’” he said.

Phillip’s daughter, Tricia Gronnevik, who said she was raised to respect gun rights, next week will go to Austin to lobby against the bills with Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America, a gun-safety advocacy group. Phillip won’t travel with her because of physical limitation, but asked his daughter to hand-deliver his letter to his state representative.

“Back when he joined the NRA, it was more of a gun-safety, sportsman organization, and so my dad still has that mentality,” Gronnevik said. “He doesn’t go online, he doesn’t even have an email address.

More: This Texas Gun Owner Has Been An NRA Member For 46 Years. Now He’s Speaking Out.

Amen! I left the NRA when it was hijacked by radicals in 1977.

Pesky Constitution

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yeah, clean your single-shot musket.

As soon as the worlds armies are limited to them we will happily do likewise.

Pesky Constitution

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why didn't the founders also pontificate about automobile and aviation amendments? Because they didn't know jack shit about them. They only wrote about what they knew at the time.

musket.jpg

Sanity and soundness are not concepts to which most gun rights advocates relate. They only see doomsday scenarios from a "what if" frame of mind.

Pesky Constitution

Why didn't the founders also pontificate about automobile and aviation amendments? Because they didn't know jack shit about them. They only wrote about what they knew at the time.

musket.jpg

Give it a rest Pokihontas and if you don't like Texas then don't go there.

You'd have real issues at our oldest's school, they have armed guards. GASP!

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

I surrender.

15622477_10211550915154716_5015292752430307444_n.jpg

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

And if you had more than two brain cells to rub together you would have read where the Supreme Court ruled that you could outlaw a sawed off shotgun because it had "no foreseeable military purpose". So the Supreme's realized that the 2nd is about military weapons.

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

I surrender.

We beat your ilk 150 years ago...you thought life stopped at "muskets" while we did the repeating rifle thing, then progressed to Gatling guns...see where I'm going with this?

“It’s mind-boggling they could come up with laws like that.”

Bernie Phillip is a 75-year-old Texas grandfather who owns nearly 20 guns ― enough, he says, “to take care of business.” He’s an avid hunter, and has been a National Rifle Association member for 46 years.

But this week, for the first time in his life, Phillip broke with the gun-rights group. He wrote to his state representative urging him to oppose two bills that would loosen restrictions on guns. HB 375 would allow Texans to carry a gun without a permit or license, and HB 560 get rid of gun-free zones, including schools, for people with a license to carry.

“I’m all for our 2nd Amendment rights but these two bills are downright irresponsible,” Phillip wrote in the letter, which has since gone viral on the internet. “I pride myself on gun safety and being a responsible gun owner. Neither of these bills further the cause of making our great state safer for my 5-year-old granddaughter. The thought of another parent being able to carry a gun in my granddaughter’s school when she goes to kindergarten next year is terrifying. There’s just no need for that.”

C2A9mqqVEAAO4yB.jpg

”It’s insane, no doubt about it,” Phillip said in an interview. “It’s mind-boggling they could come up with laws like that.”

Phillip said he’s discussed the legislation with his hunting buddies, also NRA members. “They’ve said, ‘Oh yeah, that’s ridiculous,’” he said.

Phillip’s daughter, Tricia Gronnevik, who said she was raised to respect gun rights, next week will go to Austin to lobby against the bills with Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America, a gun-safety advocacy group. Phillip won’t travel with her because of physical limitation, but asked his daughter to hand-deliver his letter to his state representative.

“Back when he joined the NRA, it was more of a gun-safety, sportsman organization, and so my dad still has that mentality,” Gronnevik said. “He doesn’t go online, he doesn’t even have an email address.

More: This Texas Gun Owner Has Been An NRA Member For 46 Years. Now He’s Speaking Out.

Amen! I left the NRA when it was hijacked by radicals in 1977.

It's already legal for lawful gun owners to have a firearm in their vehicle without a license, why make them leave them in the vehicle where their easy to steal? Also people with a carry permit can take their guns on school property legally, but if they have business inside that have to leave them in their vehicle, once again where their easy to steal. CHL holders are more responsible than police and police can carry in schools, so I don't see a problem.

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

I surrender.

We beat your ilk 150 years ago...you thought life stopped at "muskets" while we did the repeating rifle thing, then progressed to Gatling guns...see where I'm going with this?

Duh, yeah, and nowhere along the line was the 2nd Amendment ever updated.

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

No they knew the world was changing and they wrote the constitution perfectly.. So the change could happen.

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

No they knew the world was changing and they wrote the constitution perfectly.. So the change could happen.

Yeah, like the Bibles - they left it open to interpretation...forever.

Pesky Constitution

musket.jpg

I surrender.

Duh, yeah, and nowhere along the line was the 2nd Amendment ever updated.

Where in the Constitution does it say single shot muskets? Show me

Forum List

Back