This Republican has got it right.

What is an assault rifle and how does it differ from a regular rifle?

One is designed to kill 20 people in 10 seconds and the other one isn't.
One is designed for military use and warfare, the other one isn't.
Any other incredibly stupid questions?

The shotgun was designed for military use?

Yup, the pump shotgun.

It's pretty sick how any time leftists think of a gun they think of shooting people. Some serious projection there.

I grew up in Michigan in gun country and when conservatives think of guns, the first thing we always thought of was NOT shooting people.

The difference between the right and left starts there. The first thing our fathers taught us about guns was to handle them safely before we ever fired one

This man gets it.
I don't understand why other Republicans don't.

View attachment 508750
Here's the only assault weapon I own:

longland1.jpg

All the rest are sporting or home defense weapons:

wm_7511133.jpg

255280-800488.jpg

Almost forgot my other assault weapon, my reproduction 1874 Sharps Carbine:

wm_4497042.jpg

Last edited:

You aren't going to kill 20 people in 10 second with a semi-automatic weapon, and we already prohibit full auto weapons in this country for civilian use. Got any other good exaggerations to impress the people that know nothing about weapons?

Did you know you can kill 20 people in 10 seconds with a car? Didn't know that, did ja

The truth is that Assault Weapon is a made up description for scary looking guns. The truth is that these weapons are used in a fraction of shootings. The truth is they are not very good at killing people.

The average kill rate for an AR with the 5.56 round is about ten percent. That means 9 out of ten people survive. That can no be said for other weapons chambered for larger or more effective rounds.

In fact. The round was chosen for several reasons. One of those reasons is it creates a militarily significant wound. In other words. An enemy gets shot by the round chances are his is wounded, not dead. The enemy has to care for him. People have to provide medical treatment. People have to carry him to an aide station to get more care.

The idea behind this is to take more than one soldier off the battlefield with a single shot.

A dead guy isn’t screaming in pain and fear.

Statistics bear this out. The kill ratio for the round is about ten percent.

In Vegas with everything going in his favor Paddock fired more than 1000 rounds. He wounded 411 and killed 60. Densely packed targets that he almost couldn’t miss.

Panic resulted in additional wounded.

Most of those who died did so because people fled and the Emergency Services could not reach the wounded because of the threat of more gunshots. Or were hit multiple times.

So the idea is to get rid of these kinds of weapons in favor of firearms with greater kill rates. Instead of the 5.56 they would prefer to be shot with a 7.62. A heavier bullet with much more kinetic energy. About twice as much kinetic energy.

Not exactly a great idea. Forcing the mass murdering morons to go with larger and more effective weapons.

A .50 BMG rifle would have probably resulted in two or three kills per round in Vegas. A 7.62 probably would have resulted in a kill rate of .50 percent. As well as being sufficient to actually penetrate the oil tanks he was shooting at.

So let’s ban the scary looking rifles that don’t do as much damage in favor of more effective weapons with a much higher kill rate. Excellent idea.

This man gets it.
I don't understand why other Republicans don't.

View attachment 508750
That man doesn't get it at all. He thinks the 2A is concerned with hunting, when it is not in the slightest.

Yes, though the 2A doesn't leave it up to government at all why you want the gun.

Just like the second doesn't require you to want freedom of speech or religion for a particular reason.

It's not up to government at all

They know you mean combat weapons. The ones with no legitimate purpose.

Just FYI, the weapons you morons are calling "assault weapons" would never be used in combat either. They aren't designed for that either

You aren't going to kill 20 people in 10 second with a semi-automatic weapon, and we already prohibit full auto weapons in this country for civilian use. Got any other good exaggerations to impress the people that know nothing about weapons?

Did you know you can kill 20 people in 10 seconds with a car? Didn't know that, did ja
Does not surprise me. You are wanting to ban cars? Doubt you will win this one, any more than the nut-balls that would ban guns.

I am far more left wing than anyone here, but that is all wrong.
There is no such thing as an assault rifle, and the models civilians can buy have no assault weapon characteristics.

First of all, an assault weapon is not a particular type, but how you use it.
Shotguns and a pair of pistols have often been used as assault weapons at different times in history.

There is no weapon that can kill 20 people in 10 seconds, but a high rate of fire requires a full auto feature which no civilian weapons have.
There also is no such thing as a rifle designed for military use.
The main difference is that military weapons tend to just be more crudely finished so are cheaper.

Third is that the whole point of a democratic republic is that the people are supposed to all be citizen soldiers.
That is how we rebelled successfully from the monarchy, and is how you prevent dictatorships.
Anyone who is not doing their part as a citizen soldier, is pretty much a traitor.

They know you mean combat weapons. The ones with no legitimate purpose.

And the ones that commit roughly zero percent of the murders in this country.

So just to be clear, you read the Constitution and find where it says we need to justify needing our Constitutional rights protected. I don't see that qualification, can you show me where it says that?

Does that work with free speech? Religion? Due process? You think they start with a judicial hearing where you first prove you need them before you get them? You are actually this stupid, aren't you?
Your justifications are all wild flights of fancy. Just say they are cool and you like to shoot them. Anyone can understand that reasoning. I'm not against having them, I just think the right's arguments of civil wars, fighting tyranny or zombie like invasions of city dwellers in the suburbs are ludicrous.

Again assault is an act not an object so anything you use to assault someone with is an assault weapon. If you pick the right target you can kill 20 people in a matter of seconds with a semi automatic pistol if you bring one extra clip with you. For the record the majority of gun violence comes from pistols not rifles.

Does not surprise me. You are wanting to ban cars? Doubt you will win this one, any more than the nut-balls that would ban guns.

So you don't want to ban guns, which is good for a leftist.

But you think government can decide what our rights are, which isn't so good. You realize the second protects us specifically FROM government, right? That's the purpose of the 2nd, so say they can't restrict our rights. That it's a protection from government and government gets to decide what they means is absurd.

The right shall NOT BE INFRINGED. By ... government ... Seems clear. It's extremist to think it means what it says?

Forum List

Back