This Must End

OP is right. The US should continue its race to the bottom. Let other countries educate their population. This is the US. We're dumb and that's the way we like it.

We dont need to be over-educated unless it's in combst tactics and marksmanship. The pen may be mightirr thsn the sword but most bullets go right through a book and I've never seen a library survive a napalm attack.
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe

In the story you told, she could. You were half of that breakdown in communication.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

...... A requirement of citizenship is proficiency in English. So what idiots ruled that voting information at the polls must be posted in 14 languages, hmm?

Maybe someone who wanted people to know for sure what or who the hell they were voting for?

If they spoke English there would be no question.

Sharp as an anvil, as usual.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

...... A requirement of citizenship is proficiency in English. So what idiots ruled that voting information at the polls must be posted in 14 languages, hmm?

Maybe someone who wanted people to know for sure what or who the hell they were voting for?

Here's a prime example of an English deficiency nearly getting someone killed.

Just sayin'.

Why Panera Put Peanut Butter on a Grilled Cheese Sandwich For a Child With Severe Allergies

My expert opinion.

Just sayin'.

Why Panera Put Peanut Butter on a Grilled Cheese Sandwich For a Child With Severe Allergies

And what does that have to do with what we've been talking about?

Just sayin'.

And what does that have to do with what we've been talking about?

I see you're thinking of a brick wall.

The story of the Tower of Babel.

One day many years ago, I walked into a Roy Rogers restaurant to order lunch. The speechless senora at the counter punched the picture buttons on her console to make my order, and then suddenly barked out "CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

I squinted and said "Huh?"

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?" She was a big girl, and quite loud.

I scratched my head and said "Excuse me?"

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

By this time everyone in the restaurant was aware of the high-volume negotiation occurring at the counter. My fellow queue mates were beginning to chuckle.

"Hmmm, Big Rhonda perhaps?" I thought to myself. "What game might be afoot here?"

I grinned, stared her straight in the eye, winked and said "Well, maybe! Walk Big Rhonda out here an' lemme have a look at her!"

The whole place fell apart laughing. The loud girl stood gaping blankly.

Turned out the restaurant had a special deal, aptly titled "Big Roundup" for the cowboy atmosphere.

That is a true story.

Clear communication is a necessity for human interaction.

Children learn languages best by immersion. Immerse immigrant children in English, American children in the language of their choice.

Sounds like you're a poor listener, and looking hard for something to be upset over.

In a suburb of Washington D.C. at a Burger King, I had to order in my broken Spanish because not one employee spoke English. It happens!

One day many years ago, I walked into a Roy Rogers restaurant to order lunch. The speechless senora at the counter punched the picture buttons on her console to make my order, and then suddenly barked out "CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

By this time everyone in the restaurant was aware of the high-volume negotiation occurring at the counter. My fellow queue mates were beginning to chuckle.

"Hmmm, Big Rhonda perhaps?" I thought to myself. "What game might be afoot here?"

I grinned, stared her straight in the eye, winked and said "Well, maybe! Walk Big Rhonda out here an' lemme have a look at her!"

Turned out the restaurant had a special deal, aptly titled "Big Roundup" for the cowboy atmosphere.

That is a true story.

Children learn languages best by immersion. Immerse immigrant children in English, American children in the language of their choice.

Sounds like you're a poor listener, and looking hard for something to be upset over.

Nope. She couldn't speak English.

In the story you told, she could. You were half of that breakdown in communication.

Sorry! That was not English. You are just being a contrarian.

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

That is a true story.

The poster was describing an accent and a lack of fluency, not another language.

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

That is a true story.

The poster was describing an accent and a lack of fluency, not another language.

Sorry! They did not speak English. We will agree to disagree because the communication was not possible due to those issues.

... We will agree to disagree ...

No, we won't. You are wrong.

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

That is a true story.

What she spoke was not recognizable as English.

You were not there, ergo, you don't know squat.

Do YOU speak English?

That was not English.

It was gibberish.

To you, because you were half of the failure in communication.

You were not there, ergo, you don't know squat.

What you described was someone speaking English.

OK, so you are just deciding to be an ass. Enough said.

I thought you might have matured some.

Do YOU speak English?

Yes, I do.

Do YOU speak English?

Yes, I do.

Apparently you also speak gibberish because you confused it with English!

OK, so you are just deciding to be an ass. Enough said.

I thought you might have matured some.

Not my fault that you are unfamiliar with linguistics.

Forum List

Back