This Must End

That is bullshit. Before you learned Calculus, were you "too lazy" to learn Calculus, or had you just not learned it yet?

Not yet mastering a language is not an indication of no interest or effort toward learning it. Use your head.

It sure seems like a lot of people have a lot of assumptions and misconceptions about the process and experience of acquiring another language. I don't mean the two years of French you took in high school, or those bullshit "Learn Any Language in Two Weeks!" scams. I mean really acquiring a language that you need to survive and thrive in an environment where the target language is the dominant means of communication in that location and cultural milieu. This is a lifelong challenge that proceeds at a pace determined by many factors in one's life and environment. So, someone who has not yet mastered a language is NOT "lazy," or "refusing to learn the language." Walk a mile in those shoes...

I

I am telling you your statistics may apply to your district, but they are far from typical in the rest of the US.
Yes, it is. I have been working closely with immigrant populations (not just making a few cold calls like some aluminum siding salesman) for over two decades.

Off hand I would guess he bases it on common sense

We need a common language
English is and will remain the dominant language in the US. We have never had an official national language, and we never will.

She did not speak english [sic] very well or an average American would understand her
Many Americans don't have much experience in communicating - even in English - with non-native speakers of English. A lot of people everywhere are lazy and impatient. Communication is (at least) a two-way street.

If by "common" you mean no one else ever speaks anything else, you are delusional.
I dont mean that

So even by your standards I am not delusional

I mean “common” such as two strangers speaking the same language so that they can understand each other

Forum List

Back