This Must End

.If you'd like me to dissect your original post for grammar, I will gladly do so...who knows you might just learn something?

I'm long past learning anything, so don't waste your time.

I'll take that as a "I'm going to admit you're right that there are some grammatical mistakes in my post...only I want to save face and not actually admit it".

I'll take that as a "I'm going to admit you're right that there are some grammatical mistakes in my post...only I want to save face and not actually admit it".

As the son of two educators, let me put it this way.... "FUCK YOU!"

P.S. - Welcome to my Ignore List.

The story of the Tower of Babel.

One day many years ago, I walked into a Roy Rogers restaurant to order lunch. The speechless senora at the counter punched the picture buttons on her console to make my order, and then suddenly barked out "CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

I squinted and said "Huh?"

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?" She was a big girl, and quite loud.

I scratched my head and said "Excuse me?"

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

By this time everyone in the restaurant was aware of the high-volume negotiation occurring at the counter. My fellow queue mates were beginning to chuckle.

"Hmmm, Big Rhonda perhaps?" I thought to myself. "What game might be afoot here?"

I grinned, stared her straight in the eye, winked and said "Well, maybe! Walk Big Rhonda out here an' lemme have a look at her!"

The whole place fell apart laughing. The loud girl stood gaping blankly.

Turned out the restaurant had a special deal, aptly titled "Big Roundup" for the cowboy atmosphere.

That is a true story.

Clear communication is a necessity for human interaction.

Children learn languages best by immersion. Immerse immigrant children in English, American children in the language of their choice.

Sounds like you're a poor listener, and looking hard for something to be upset over.

Nope. She couldn't speak English.

In the story you told, she could. You were half of that breakdown in communication.

That's your opinion.

To the alt-right, educating yourself by learning a second language is unpatriotic :laugh:

Yes it is. In 1900 my great-grandparents came here from the German-Polish border area. Between them they spoke six different languages fluently or almost fluently. They also both spoke English moderately well.

Aftrr they got through Ellis Island my grsat-grandparents spoke only one language wjth any frequency - English. They refused to teach their eight children ANY of the German, French, Polish, Czheck, Slovak, and Russian.

It's tjme for Americans to ALL start speaking English again. The best way to do thst us very simple..... No Government, Legal or Medical documents in any language ither thsn English.

Oh no, whatever will I do now that a stranger from USMB has blocked me? How will I live a meaningful life? This is the worst thing that anybody's ever done to me!

For the hell of it though in the off chance you do see this (and really just to prove my point), here's the grammatical mistakes you did make.

1) You spelled "Czech" incorrectly (this is clearly not a typo as the "c" is nowhere near the "k" and the word was over regardless).

2) In the quote "No Government, legal or Medical documents", none of the words should be capitalized.

3) An elipse is only three dots long, yours has five dots.

4) "Yes it is." is technically a fragment/dependent clause and therefore is not a complete sentence (it lacks a subject). There are numerous examples of this throughout your post, so I wont point out all of them.

Your parents being/having been educators has zero impact on this thread. Your attempt at using ethos (citing your parent's credentials as educators) actually backfires against you because...if your parents being educators grants them some sort of authority to speak about the subject at hand, then myself as an educator also have that authority. In some weird way you actually give me credibility to speak about this subject at hand, so thanks!

PS: Folks, you can't fix stupid. You can help to fix ignorance, but stupid can't be fixed.

... (I don't teach ESOL classes)....

I do. Subject area courses for ELLs who are also SLIFE in SEI classroom environments (not to mention a host of other issues the students may face) are a hell of a lot more complex than some yahoo getting pissed off because the person getting his crappy fast food doesn't sound exactly like his own mother is likely to appreciate. Some of the same yahoos who think CALP can be mastered in a few months are only too eager to lend their bumper-sticker expertise to the subject.

One day many years ago, I walked into a Roy Rogers restaurant to order lunch. The speechless senora at the counter punched the picture buttons on her console to make my order, and then suddenly barked out "CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

By this time everyone in the restaurant was aware of the high-volume negotiation occurring at the counter. My fellow queue mates were beginning to chuckle.

"Hmmm, Big Rhonda perhaps?" I thought to myself. "What game might be afoot here?"

I grinned, stared her straight in the eye, winked and said "Well, maybe! Walk Big Rhonda out here an' lemme have a look at her!"

Turned out the restaurant had a special deal, aptly titled "Big Roundup" for the cowboy atmosphere.

That is a true story.

Children learn languages best by immersion. Immerse immigrant children in English, American children in the language of their choice.

Sounds like you're a poor listener, and looking hard for something to be upset over.

In the story you told, she could. You were half of that breakdown in communication.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

To the alt-right, educating yourself by learning a second language is unpatriotic :laugh:

Yes it is. In 1900 my great-grandparents came here from the German-Polish border area. Between them they spoke six different languages fluently or almost fluently. They also both spoke English moderately well.

Aftrr they got through Ellis Island my grsat-grandparents spoke only one language wjth any frequency - English. They refused to teach their eight children ANY of the German, French, Polish, Czheck, Slovak, and Russian.

It's tjme for Americans to ALL start speaking English again. The best way to do thst us very simple..... No Government, Legal or Medical documents in any language ither thsn English.

Oh no, whatever will I do now that a stranger from USMB has blocked me? How will I live a meaningful life? This is the worst thing that anybody's ever done to me!

For the hell of it though in the off chance you do see this (and really just to prove my point), here's the grammatical mistakes you did make.

1) You spelled "Czech" incorrectly (this is clearly not a typo as the "c" is nowhere near the "k" and the word was over regardless).

2) In the quote "No Government, legal or Medical documents", none of the words should be capitalized.

4) "Yes it is." is technically a fragment/dependent clause and therefore is not a complete sentence (it lacks a subject). There are numerous examples of this throughout your post, so I wont point out all of them.

Your parents being/having been educators has zero impact on this thread. Your attempt at using ethos (citing your parent's credentials as educators) actually backfires against you because...if your parents being educators grants them some sort of authority to speak about the subject at hand, then myself as an educator also have that authority. In some weird way you actually give me credibility to speak about this subject at hand, so thanks!

PS: Folks, you can't fix stupid. You can help to fix ignorance, but stupid can't be fixed.
He randomly capitalizes words in many posts...I have no idea why, but he has for years. "It is," is a complete sentence. Subject: "it".

He randomly capitalizes words in many posts...I have no idea why, but he has for years. "It is," is a complete sentence. Subject: "it".

"It" is a subject pronoun, but not an actual subject that can complete a dependent clause. What does "it" refer to, a beach, an elephant, happiness, orange?

Anyways anahtema is a funny character I agree haha.

"CHOO WON BEEG RONDA?"

That is a true story.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

Being an expert and present on site, you then know she couldn't speak English. There were other questions she could not respond to.

Dunno why there's such a bug up your ass about primary languages. A requirement of citizenship is proficiency in English. So what idiots ruled that voting information at the polls must be posted in 14 languages, hmm?

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

Being an expert and present on site, you then know she couldn't speak English. ....

The situation you described was a person speaking English, and YOU failing to communicate.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

...... A requirement of citizenship is proficiency in English. So what idiots ruled that voting information at the polls must be posted in 14 languages, hmm?

Maybe someone who wanted people to know for sure what or who the hell they were voting for?

OP is right. The US should continue its race to the bottom. Let other countries educate their population. This is the US. We're dumb and that's the way we like it.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

OP is right. The US should continue its race to the bottom. Let other countries educate their population. This is the US. We're dumb and that's the way we like it.

We dont need to be over-educated unless it's in combst tactics and marksmanship. The pen may be mightirr thsn the sword but most bullets go right through a book and I've never seen a library survive a napalm attack.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

Being an expert and present on site, you then know she couldn't speak English. ....

The situation you described was a person speaking English, and YOU failing to communicate.

In your opinion.

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

...... A requirement of citizenship is proficiency in English. So what idiots ruled that voting information at the polls must be posted in 14 languages, hmm?

Maybe someone who wanted people to know for sure what or who the hell they were voting for?

If they spoke English there would be no question.

Well now you've gone and done it. Anathema takes great pride in his ignorance and temper tantrums. He actually posted that he buys cheap televisions because he often gets so angry that he breaks his by throwing things at it. He also says his wife 'knows her place'.

He's an ignorant dinosaur and no, you're not lucky enough to be ignored by him.

-----

Americans seem to think they should wipe out other cultures and languages, often in the name if spreading their abominable religions.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

That's your opinion.

My expert opinion.

In your opinion.

But you did say she spoke English. And, from what you wrote, she was being very patient with her ignoramus customer.

You're a close minded, ignorant bigot.

Thing is, nothing makes me crazier than dealing with an American company and getting a phone contact in another country. I changed insurance companies for that reason.

It's one of the (many many many many many) reasons I despise trump. He and his evil spawn refuse to make their products in the US and hire undocumented and foreign workers.

So see? Your English-only rant is a huge lie.

[emoji90]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back