This Melt up Sucks

Trying to sell puts in this market is a nightmaere
/----/ I don't know what trading platform you use. I have TD's Think or Swim. When you pull up the options chart in the TRADE tab, there are three bits of info you can use to help trade puts and calls. I set the preferences at Probability ITM. It shows the 27 Dec 2019 400 Put for Shopify (SHOP) trading at $409.63 is 65 cents to sell. Now look at the 15.29%. That means the Put has only a 15.29% chance of being assigned. The other red circled number in the right-hand corner shows what the market makers estimate of the volatility meaning they say the stock will only move up or down $7.49 before expiration. So if you sell the Put at $400 or less you most likely won't get assigned.

You can use the same info on the Call side.

Perhaps your trading platform has similar info that you can use.

upload_2019-12-27_9-38-0.png

You pretty much have to be ahead of the market to make a lot on short options; a long sustained boom means you probably need to take delivery, then guess on when the bubble pops. With so much foreign money seeking safe haven in the U.S. and the dollar, and select commodities, it will be a while. Overseas gambling is in decline, and nobody can trust the Red Chinese anymore.

Forum List

Back