This is why I don't watch baseball

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
Other than the fact that it's boring.

I came across this this morning and said WTF? So why should a hitter give a pitcher a free strike? Should a boxer let a guy who missed 3 punches hit him for free? Should a football team give their opponent a free first down?

I knew this was a worthless thread from your first sentence. If you think baseball is boring then you don't understand the game.
Baseball is better than Ambien.

But tell me why does a hitter have to apologize for hitting a home run?

I came across this this morning and said WTF? So why should a hitter give a pitcher a free strike? Should a boxer let a guy who missed 3 punches hit him for free? Should a football team give their opponent a free first down?

In professional sports, when you are playing for big money, full out compete until the end should never be a sin. If you don't want a player to play to his ability, than pull him for a replacement player. It gives bench players some time and protects against injuries.

That said, in sports with a clock, say in hockey, if you have an insurmountable lead, I have no problem playing a dump-in game and just defend. Ultimately though, I think the celebrations are what make the difference.

If you get a hold of one, and the game is well out of reach, just sheepishly run the bases with your head down and quietly enter the dugout. I've seen the Blue Jays of days past hit a HR and they are down 12-3 in the 8th and they are celebrating the HR as if it was an extra innings shot,. Now THAT was a sin. No wonder they were losing (until they made some good trades to get rid of that loser mindset culture).

It's axiomatic that regular bit players don't even have the green light to swing on a 3-0 count, even in the scrub leagues.....The point is to make the pitcher pitch. and if he can't find the zone you take the free base....There's also the avoidance of GIDP factored into the situation...This unwritten rule often doesn't apply to your primary run producing line-drive hitters.

When you're up by that much, that late in the game, it's generally considered poor form for the stud to be swinging for the fences when the bases are juiced....The same sorts of unwritten rules against running up the scores on overmatched opponents pretty much apply across all team sports.

It's axiomatic that regular bit players don't even have the green light to swing on a 3-0 count, even in the scrub leagues.....The point is to make the pitcher pitch. and if he can't find the zone you take the free base....There's also the avoidance of GIDP factored into the situation...This unwritten rule often doesn't apply to your primary run producing line-drive hitters.

When you're up by that much, that late in the game, it's generally considered poor form for the stud to be swinging for the fences when the bases are juiced....The same sorts of unwritten rules against running up the scores on overmatched opponents pretty much apply across all team sports.

Personally I think if you can win by a lot you should win by a lot.

I never see sprinters slow down because they're too far ahead of the pack.

Boxers don't give their opponents free shots

Maybe that's just me.

Personally I think if you can win by a lot you should win by a lot.

I never see sprinters slow down because they're too far ahead of the pack.

Boxers don't give their opponents free shots

Maybe that's just me.

I said team sports, not individual....It's an unwritten rule to not run up scores against the overmatched across them all....I'm not judging, just reporting.

Tatis did the right thing...apologizing. He's honoring the games' customs. This is one of the reasons A-Rod who, while being a superior player to 95% of his contemporaries, didn't carry the respect commensurate to a player of his calibre.

In professional sports, when you are playing for big money, full out compete until the end should never be a sin.
The New York Yankees when leading by a substantial amount don’t swing 3-0 bunt or steal bases.
It’s called sportsmanship.
Every team should do this.

I quite agree with you, I find sports boring except football. Baseball is tooo slow, Hockey is too fast, and golf is too boring.

In professional sports, when you are playing for big money, full out compete until the end should never be a sin.
The New York Yankees when leading by a substantial amount don’t swing 3-0 bunt or steal bases.
It’s called sportsmanship.
Every team should do this.
Bullshit. You play to win, on every play. And don't try to paint the fucking Yankees as a paragon of sportsmanship. That's just ridiculous.

Bullshit. You play to win, on every play. And don't try to paint the fucking Yankees as a paragon of sportsmanship. That's just ridiculous.
They have done it for many years.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back