This is a good saw.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Fiskar 15" Pruning Saw.

Cut every secondary trunk ranging from 6" to 11" at a 15 foot height on a 45 foot dead silver maple from a ladder without issue. Through cuts and under cuts were a breeze with either hand. I was impressed.

I don't have a chainsaw small enough to handle in a tree from a ladder so I bought one of these from Walmart for $22. I've had good luck with fiskar saws in the past, but the 7" folding saw I bought for the truck last year wasn't worth the powder to blow it up.

Unfortunately, this one is made in China. I looked for saws made in the USA and didn't come up with any. The closest I got was Corona in Mexico and Silky from Japan. I've heard Silky's quality has been on the decline of late (I think from Wranglerstar) so I gave Fiskar anothet shot.

If China's not a complete dealbreaker for you and you need this type of saw, you're likely to be very happy with this one.

-----------

On a related note. If you've read this far you might have an opinion on the Fiskar style ax. How do those plastic sides hold up to chopping and splitting wood?

Do you have a saw you like? Any made in the US?

These past 4 or so years have me so beat up I avoid looking at tools these days.
All it does is bum me out.
Bought a nice wood maul right before my hip and back problems started and now it just sits there.
Had to pick up a small electric log splitter to break down my splits for the BBQ pit.
It just aint the same.

These past 4 or so years have me so beat up I avoid looking at tools these days.
Bought a nice wood maul right before my hip and back problems started and now it just sits there.
Had to pick up a small electric log splitter to break down my splits for the BBQ pit.
It just aint the same.
Sorry to hear that.

After splitting wood today I wouldn't mind that electric splitter. Couldn't find a maul or a full sized ax...I think they accidentally ended up in storage. All I had was a Collins boys ax, an Estwing hatchet and a wooden mallet.

It just aint the same.
Sorry to hear that.

After splitting wood today I wouldn't mind that electric splitter. Couldn't find a maul or a full sized ax...I think they accidentally ended up in storage. All I had was a Collins boys ax, an Estwing hatchet and a wooden mallet.

Thats pretty limiting for a large batch no doubt.
The best thing about the electric is it sits about 16 inches high.
I can sit in my chair and run through a 1/4 cord in no time.
Still gotta stack it but at least I aint swinging an axe or maul.
If I tried that I wouldnt be able to get outta bed for days.

It just aint the same.
Sorry to hear that.

I didn't have much to do. The trees I cut down I believe died of a fungal infection so 90% of the wood went to the city yard waste and straight into the fire. The 10% left is for the chickens dust bath which we'll burn for wood ash in the morning.

Can anything be done for your back?

It just aint the same.
Sorry to hear that.

I didn't have much to do. The trees I cut down I believe died of a fungal infection so 90% of the wood went to the city yard waste and straight into the fire. The 10% left is for the chickens dust bath which we'll burn for wood ash in the morning.

Still trying.
Had five surgeries on the hip with one more coming.
The back has had one.
It's hard to figure out what the real problem is because they both interact so much that it's tough to figure out where the pain is actually coming from since they're both nerve related.
They've been feeding me a steady dose of oxycodone which keeps it bearable but I really hate taking stuff like that and I keep it to a minimum as much as I can.
But I'll admit I'll take two every once in awhile just to be pain free for 4 or 5 hours.
The rest of the time ya just grit your teeth.

It just aint the same.
Sorry to hear that.

Still trying.
Had five surgeries on the hip with one more coming.
The back has had one.
It's hard to figure out what the real problem is because they both interact so much that it's tough to figure out where the pain is actually coming from since they're both nerve related.
They've been feeding me a steady dose of oxycodone which keeps it bearable but I really hate taking stuff like that and I keep it to a minimum as much as I can.
But I'll admit I'll take two every once in awhile just to be pain free for 4 or 5 hours.
The rest of the time ya just grit your teeth.
That sucks. I sure hope they can figure it out next time.

Forum List

Back