Think im getting too old for massive bathroom remodels.

Bad contract manā€¦ I make a killing off of cookie cutter just meet the code remodels. My bread, and butter actually. And these guys donā€™t bat an eyelash at stroking out a check.
For a couple decades all I did was hud housing and military base housing. PHENOMINAL money but often I would go up to 45 days without a check. Made it really hard to make payroll so I ditched out of that and switched to restaurants and new builds. The restaurant rehabs were good money but the fucking grease made everything so difficult

Started a new bathroom yesterday. Holy hell I feel like the walking dead after 2 days on a demolition hammer.
View attachment 792714View attachment 792715View attachment 792716View attachment 792717View attachment 792718View attachment 792719View attachment 792720View attachment 792721View attachment 792722View attachment 792723
They set the damn tub in 6 inches of concrete instead of a proper mud bed.
The headers are all wrong.
The tile on the wall is ā…" porcelain and the 10' walls are solid concrete over the studs floor to ceiling.
The shower pan is set in 2 layers of concrete instead of proper floor mud.
The fucking columns are solid stone and have ZERO fucking support under the tub deck which is also 2" of concrete so I can't rip out the rest of the tub deck till I Jerry Rig some temporary support.

The worst part is this is a regular customers personal home so I don't wanna jack the price for fear of losing the 3 flips a year I do for them. And they flip Ā¾ million on up houses.
I did upcharge to rip out the headers so I can put in one solid one all the way across.

I'm physically DEAD
Get some real tools...

For a couple decades all I did was hud housing and military base housing. PHENOMINAL money but often I would go up to 45 days without a check. Made it really hard to make payroll so I ditched out of that and switched to restaurants and new builds. The restaurant rehabs were good money but the fucking grease made everything so difficult
Restaurants are the worst! Thereā€™s hardly a good place for me to eat in Birmingham after remodding so many kitchens here. Never take a behind the scenes tour of your favorite eatery. Youā€™ll never go back. Weā€™ve pulled out fryer stalls with what had to be tens of thousands of cockroaches cemented to the quarry tile underneath. And one tenant which was a Chinese restaurant; whom when he moved out, we went to do a re-roof, and at the base of the exhaust fan topside, it looked like the fucking LaBrea tarpits. Dozens of birds, and lizards in various states of decay, trapped in the grease expelled from the exhaust fanā€¦

Last edited:
Restaurants are the worst! Thereā€™s hardly a good place for me to eat in Birmingham after remodding so many kitchens here. Never take a behind the scenes tour of your favorite eatery. Youā€™ll never go back. Weā€™ve pulled out fryer stains with what had to be tens of thousands of cockroaches cemented to the quarry tile underneath. And one tenant which was a Chinese restaurant; whom when he moved out, we went to do a re-roof, and at the base of the exhaust fan topside, it looked like the fucking LaBrea tarpits. Dozens of birds, and lizards in various states of decay, trapped in the grease brain expelled from the exhaust fanā€¦
Killer.

Restaurants are the worst! Thereā€™s hardly a good place for me to eat in Birmingham after remodding so many kitchens here. Never take a behind the scenes tour of your favorite eatery. Youā€™ll never go back. Weā€™ve pulled out fryer stains with what had to be tens of thousands of cockroaches cemented to the quarry tile underneath. And one tenant which was a Chinese restaurant; whom when he moved out, we went to do a re-roof, and at the base of the exhaust fan topside, it looked like the fucking LaBrea tarpits. Dozens of birds, and lizards in various states of decay, trapped in the grease brain expelled from the exhaust fanā€¦
WORST I ever did was Chuckie Cheese.

No, I mean like pneumatics and big electric floor scrappers for tile
I have all that. And scrappers don't work on properly installed tile over wood unless you want to replace the subfloor.
I do that by hand with demolition hammers and a curved stem flat head blade.

Mine was an OK highway patrol hq in Vinita, Ok. only lost 76k on that trap.
The grease and oil in Chuckie Cheese I did was so inbedded in everything nothing would bond. And we could only work graveyards because they refused to close down for renovations

Iā€™ve encountered some old VCT, that had my guys begging for explosivesā€¦
Was it asbestos too? Lol

I've slung a few Walmarts of vct.

If memory serves me right the last time was .22 cents a foot.
We'd sand and glue up a couple thousand feet the go crash at the hotel for about 4 hours. Go back and slap that shit down! That fucking glue was serious business. Step in it and your shoe got left behind šŸ˜†

Was it asbestos too? Lol

I've slung a few Walmarts of vct.

If memory serves me right the last time was .22 cents a foot.
We'd sand and glue up a couple thousand feet the go crash at the hotel for about 4 hours. Go back and slap that shit down! That fucking glue was serious business. Step in it and your shoe got left behind šŸ˜†
Yup! Iā€™ve walked in to check a job like that and caugbt 3, 140 lb Mexicans on one machine. Two pushing for all theyā€™re worth, with one on the front trying to keep the blade down.

Yup! Iā€™ve walked in to check a job like that and caugbt 3, 140 lb Mexicans on one machine. Two pushing for all theyā€™re worth, with one on the front trying to keep the blade down.
Yeah those machines are near worthless on residential unless you're on a basement floor or slab.
Moonglow talking out of his ass.
You try using one of those on wood with concrete board and screws and you're fucked.

The job I'm on now has the DITRA for underlayment so it's gonna be a pain and require lots of leveling afterwards

The military housing I did was ALWAYS 12' sheet vinyl everywhere.

Worst fucking product for a home outside of a bathroom.

The ghettos I did I wouldn't even be out of the end of the building before the Tennants at the other end had fucked shit up and I had to go fix. To make matters worse I was REQUIRED to hire a percentage from within the community I was working in. Most useless motherfuckers ever.

Forum List

Back