Think im getting too old for massive bathroom remodels.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Started a new bathroom yesterday. Holy hell I feel like the walking dead after 2 days on a demolition hammer.
20230605_133353.jpg
20230605_133358.jpg
20230605_133523.jpg
20230605_133651.jpg
20230605_133658.jpg
20230606_103140.jpg
20230606_150029.jpg
20230607_102009.jpg
20230607_125057.jpg
20230607_165527.jpg

They set the damn tub in 6 inches of concrete instead of a proper mud bed.
The headers are all wrong.
The tile on the wall is ⅝" porcelain and the 10' walls are solid concrete over the studs floor to ceiling.
The shower pan is set in 2 layers of concrete instead of proper floor mud.
The fucking columns are solid stone and have ZERO fucking support under the tub deck which is also 2" of concrete so I can't rip out the rest of the tub deck till I Jerry Rig some temporary support.

The worst part is this is a regular customers personal home so I don't wanna jack the price for fear of losing the 3 flips a year I do for them. And they flip ¾ million on up houses.
I did upcharge to rip out the headers so I can put in one solid one all the way across.

I'm physically DEAD

Too bad, you're getting older. I hope you have trained a son, daughter or other worthy apprentice.

Bathroom remodeling will be a growth industry soon, once the wokesters force every bathroom to be unisex, and they have to be converted to individual use for safety.

Started a new bathroom yesterday. Holy hell I feel like the walking dead after 2 days on a demolition hammer.
View attachment 792714View attachment 792715View attachment 792716View attachment 792717View attachment 792718View attachment 792719View attachment 792720View attachment 792721View attachment 792722View attachment 792723
The tile on the wall is ⅝" porcelain and the 10' walls are solid concrete over the studs floor to ceiling.
The fucking columns are solid stone and have ZERO fucking support under the tub deck which is also 2" of concrete so I can't rip out the rest of the tub deck till I Jerry Rig some temporary support.

The worst part is this is a regular customers personal home so I don't wanna jack the price for fear of losing the 3 flips a year I do for them. And they flip ¾ million on up houses.
I did upcharge to rip out the headers so I can put in one solid one all the way across.

Time I'm physically DEAD
Time to move to general contractor and hire crews to do the work.

View attachment 792714View attachment 792715View attachment 792716View attachment 792717View attachment 792718View attachment 792719View attachment 792720View attachment 792721View attachment 792722View attachment 792723

I'm physically DEAD
Are you a masochist? I Hate bathroom remodels.

• Banned
Too bad, you're getting older. I hope you have trained a son, daughter or other worthy apprentice.

Bathroom remodeling will be a growth industry soon, once the wokesters force every bathroom to be unisex, and they have to be converted to individual use for safety.
I gave up commercial work a decade ago. Too many headaches. And yes that is my oldest daughter. She has worked for me since she was about 14.

What was wrong with the original bath?
Dated. They're gonna sell next year if the feds stop fucking up the housing market and it needs updated.
Gonna install 4' floors and free standing tub etc.

No one wants those old ass Jacuzzis anymore. Replacing that alone changes the entire bathroom footprint because the deck has to go

I gave up commercial work a decade ago. Too many headaches. And yes that is my oldest daughter. She has worked for me since she was about 14.
Awesome that you taught your daughter a trade. I don't know any studies for it, but something like that has to sharply reduce a woman's likelihood of putting up with an abusive partner. Which in turn reduces the likelihood of a partner even trying it.

Dated. They're gonna sell next year if the feds stop fucking up the housing market and it needs updated.
Gonna install 4' floors and free standing tub etc.

No one wants those old ass Jacuzzis anymore. Replacing that alone changes the entire bathroom footprint because the deck has to go
Guess it depends on the market. Where I am that bath would be high end. Good luck, hope the remodel will be worth more than the cost.

Awesome that you taught your daughter a trade. I don't know any studies for it, but something like that has to sharply reduce a woman's likelihood of putting up with an abusive partner. Which in turn reduces the likelihood of a partner even trying it.
She had a bad guy early on. That was quickly delt with when I found out. Her man now is a good guy, builds elevators and has great job security because it's family owned

I'm physically DEAD

Wait....what? They wanted you to demolish a perfectly good bathroom and start over?

Last job I did was a pier 1. Electricians fucked up 1000 pieces of my installed tile with a jack lift and we all had a no charge back clause agreement.

That was it for me
Bad contract man… I make a killing off of cookie cutter just meet the code remodels. My bread, and butter actually. And these guys don’t bat an eyelash at stroking out a check.

Forum List

Back