They are monopolies! Will Cons believe it?

Yet you can't tell me why you were calling out conservative members about leftist media.
From the report…

During the investigation, the Subcommittee found evidence of monopolization and monopoly power. For example, the strong net- work effects associated with Facebook has tipped the market to- ward monopoly such that Facebook competes more vigorously among its own products—Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger—than with actual competitors.
As demonstrated during a series of hearings held by the Sub- committee and as detailed in this Report,8 the online platforms’ dominance carries significant costs. It has diminished consumer choice, eroded innovation and entrepreneurship in the U.S. econ- omy, weakened the vibrancy of the free and diverse press, and un- dermined Americans’ privacy.
These concerns are shared by the majority of Americans. On Sep- tember 24, 2020, Consumer Reports (CR) published a survey titled
‘‘Platform Perceptions: Consumer Attitudes on Competition and Fairness in Online Platforms.’’ 9 Among its findings:

Eighty-five percent of Americans are concerned—either very concerned or somewhat concerned—about the amount of data online platforms store about them, and eighty-one percent are concerned that platforms are collecting and holding this data in order to build out more comprehensive consumer profiles.
Fifty-eight percent are not confident that they are getting objective and unbi- ased search results when using an online platform to shop or search for infor- mation.
Seventy-nine percent say Big Tech mergers and acquisitions unfairly under- mine competition and consumer choice.10
Sixty percent support more government regulation of online platforms, includ- ing mandatory interoperability features, to make it easier for users to switch from one platform to another without losing important data or connections.

I think everyone in Congress is incompetent.

And the funny part is that you used to reject 99% of what Congress says and does...but you find one area where they agree with you and now they are beyond reproach.

You are incapable of using your own words to tell us how a company that does not even have the largest market share is a monopoly.

Can you even define monopoly for us?
You seem to believe that only a corporation which owns the entire market is a Monopoly but it can be a lot lower

A monopolistic firm is legally defined as a firm with "significant and durable market power." In other words, the ability to raise prices without long-term consequences or the ability to exclude competitors. To be deemed a monopoly, a firm or group of firms must generally have at least 50% of the sales for its product or service within a geographic area, although some courts require a far higher percentage. This dominance of the market must also be maintained over an extended period to be deemed monopolistic.

One of the ones I find most interesting is that of the Press. If my memory serves me well you have about 6 Corporations giving you your news and given that they all hold roughly the same views you are not getting a variety of views as would be expected in a democracy.

Obviously these things are important to all of us. Thatcher deliberately let Murdock in to buy the Times for the very reason that she knew she would be opening up the possibility of the Monopoly of our news which would mean we did not get other points of view.

This article points out how the Monopoly affecting Britain's news and media is also affecting our democracy.

and to put that onto a known use of these Media. The London School of Economics did a survey looking at how the Press spoke about Corbyn. They noted it was almost always offensive, most of it not true or a new and offensive description and none of it refuted. They thought such a one sided negatively slanted view of the Leader of the opposition was a direct attack on our democracy.

Last edited:
You seem to believe that only a corporation which owns the entire market is a Monopoly but it can be a lot lower

While it does not have to own it all, it should at least own the largest amount to be even looked at a monopoly.

Pretty stupid to call the 2nd or 3rd biggest Corp in a field a monopoly.

While it does not have to own it all, it should at least own the largest amount to be even looked at a monopoly.

Pretty stupid to call the 2nd or 3rd biggest Corp in a field a monopoly.
I'd say together they make it but you are missing out on the fact that there are certain actions which make the firm a Monopoly. This link gives you information on some of them and it is the ability to do these things which cause it to fit into the criteria of a Monopoly.

One of the ones I find most interesting is that of the Press. If my memory serves me well you have about 6 Corporations giving you your news and given that they all hold roughly the same views you are not getting a variety of views as would be expected in a democracy.

Obviously these things are important to all of us. Thatcher deliberately let Murdock in to buy the Times for the very reason that she knew she would be opening up the possibility of the Monopoly of our news which would mean we did not get other points of view.

This article points out how the Monopoly affecting Britain's news and media is also affecting our democracy.

and to put that onto a known use of these Media. The London School of Economics did a survey looking at how the Press spoke about Corbyn. They noted it was almost always offensive, most of it not true or a new and offensive description and none of it refuted. They thought such a one sided negatively slanted view of the Leader of the opposition was a direct attack on our democracy.

How much lower? What's the range?

I'd say together they make it but you are missing out on the fact that there are certain actions which make the firm a Monopoly. This link gives you information on some of them and it is the ability to do these things which cause it to fit into the criteria of a Monopoly.

Your link just reinforces that the companies in the OP are not monopolies

From the report…

During the investigation, the Subcommittee found evidence of monopolization and monopoly power. For example, the strong net- work effects associated with Facebook has tipped the market to- ward monopoly such that Facebook competes more vigorously among its own products—Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger—than with actual competitors.
As demonstrated during a series of hearings held by the Sub- committee and as detailed in this Report,8 the online platforms’ dominance carries significant costs. It has diminished consumer choice, eroded innovation and entrepreneurship in the U.S. econ- omy, weakened the vibrancy of the free and diverse press, and un- dermined Americans’ privacy.
These concerns are shared by the majority of Americans. On Sep- tember 24, 2020, Consumer Reports (CR) published a survey titled
‘‘Platform Perceptions: Consumer Attitudes on Competition and Fairness in Online Platforms.’’ 9 Among its findings:

Eighty-five percent of Americans are concerned—either very concerned or somewhat concerned—about the amount of data online platforms store about them, and eighty-one percent are concerned that platforms are collecting and holding this data in order to build out more comprehensive consumer profiles.
Fifty-eight percent are not confident that they are getting objective and unbi- ased search results when using an online platform to shop or search for infor- mation.
Seventy-nine percent say Big Tech mergers and acquisitions unfairly under- mine competition and consumer choice.10
Sixty percent support more government regulation of online platforms, includ- ing mandatory interoperability features, to make it easier for users to switch from one platform to another without losing important data or connections.
But you can't explain why conservatives would care if leftists control corporation were split up. And why you called out several.

Time to bust them up and destroy their ability to influence our government and the two crime families.
No. They are not freaking monopolies. They just have power that the government wants.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back