Theses Senators who voted against Betsy DeVos, send their kids to private schools, not public....

What is it exactly that you DO for those 80 plus hours a week?

Why should I bother telling you? Honestly, you know so very little about what goes on in education, you would not understand anyway. But here is my typical week.

I arrive at school at 7 am at the absolute latest every day. Class starts at 8 and I teach until 3pm. That's 40 hours a week right there. I tutor three days a week after school for my students. That's 43 hours. I grade papers for at least 2 hours each day, sometimes staying at school until after 6 pm. We'll be generous and say that I don't stay late on Fridays, so we will add another 8 hours, so we are up to 51. Each night I write my lesson plans and that takes about 2-3 hours because I teach 3 separate classes. Because we have no textbooks, I write SmartBoard presentations, edit worksheets for their classwork/homework, and then make up handouts containing notes and formulas we use. We'll go conservative and add another 10 hours. That's 61 hours. I also have to do a book study for my new teacher orientation classes because I am new to this district, despite having taught 20 years. That's a few hours a week, We'll add three for that so we are up to 64 hours. On Sundays, I have to watch professional development videos to get my required 24 hours in this year, so we'll add another 2 for that. That's a total of 66 hours. Oh, BTW, because my district held their professional development in the summer before I was hired, I paid nearly $200 out of pocket for the video courses that I am using.

I also sell tickets for sports events at school as part of my other assigned duties. I watch the restrooms between classes, which is about the only time I get to use those facilities. I do not have my own classroom because we are building a new school on-site and I am the new kid on the block. I push a cart with all of my instructional materials to 4 different classrooms throughout the day. Our teachers lounge contains two copiers, a refrigerator, a microwave (donated by yours truly) and our mailboxes. There are no chairs or desks. My planning period has me sitting at my desk/cart near an electrical outlet in a hallway so I can use my printer (bought and paid for by yours truly).

That's as a teacher. Now imagine being an administrator and having to supervise all of the after school sports and other activities,

Now, how about those apples?

You knew all that you are whining about the day you decided to teach in a government school.

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

You made the choice to ignore all of the sacrifices that teachers make, dismissing them as union pawns who don't care about their students. I find your ignorance of reality very disturbing.

You're wrong.

I have great respect for teachers in government schools. I have no respect when they start whining and belly aching about how hard they have it when they KNEW, GOING IN, DAY ONE, what they were signing up to do.

I empathize with them that their job and responsibilities are miles away from what they were fifty years ago. Nonetheless, they know this going in which is why I hold them responsible for doing the same thing expecting a different result.

Primarily the government, teachers unions, and local school districts are responsible for the massive failure.

They won't be getting less from the government...they will get exactly what the government school gets....but they will have to actually educate children.

Total bullshit! They will be paying rent or loans to pay off their buildings. Most will not own the land where their school is located and will be subject to the whims of landlords. Those magic numbers everyone floats about the cost to educate the child builds schools, buys land, buys or contracts buses, pays administrators, teachers, custodians and the cafeteria workers.

Those funds are not included in " the money the schools gets". Again, you people are so sure of yourself and you don't know squat!

Nope......you are looking at it as someone trained in public school education.....you have blinders on where change and improvements can be made....

No. I am looking at it from someone who sees the problem is not in the schools but society in general.

Your solution is to destroy all of the schools so the problems of a few percent of school districts can be remediated. That is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Do you take your car to your dentist to have it fixed? When you drains clog do you call an electrician? When you get sick, do you consult your garbage man?

Of course not! You find the best people who know how to solve the problem and let them do it. You don't let rank amateurs control your personal investments do you?

Actually a better analogy, Admiral would be...do you take your car to the Mercedes dealership where they charge you an arm and a leg for service...or do you take it to an independent mechanic that does the same job for half the money? It appears you want public education to be a monopoly run by the teacher's unions with parents having no say on what kind of an education their kid's receive. I'm sorry but that's NOT what parents want!

For about the ten thousandth time, let me explain it to you again!

TEACHER'S UNIONS HAVE ZERO IMPACT ON WHAT IS TAUGHT IN THE SCHOOLS. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Why do you people cling so bitterly to something that is dead wrong? It is incredible stupidity is what it is!

Parents elect school boards that make all of those decisions. They get a say. Our school and every school where I have worked also has parents on some sort of committee to make decisions for the school.

When I was hired, the Site-Based Decision Making (SBDM) Council at my public high school decided whether to hire me or not, based on the principal's recommendation. Even he does not get the final say in who he hires. Two of those members are parents and three are teachers. I have sat as a teacher member of those type of boards. I know how they operate.

I am also on committees for my school in charge of curriculum, and technology. We make the decisions for the school. The union is not allowed.

Once again, you amateurs do not know what you are talking about, so why should we take any input from you?

I've never said that the horrid Teacher's Unions had anything to do with the curriculum.

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Says it all does it not?

For someone in education, Admiral...your word comprehension skills are a bit off! I didn't say my brother told me he didn't have teachers working more than 40 hours a week...i said that nobody in his school system works 80 plus hours a week. Care to try again?

So, you are admitting your brother is a clueless? I guarantee there are multiple people who work that many hours. If not, they are in a lousy school putting out a lousy product. I have never worked less than 50 hours a week and I have been a teacher for 20 years.

Well, that's not 80, is it......

Do you understand the term "Representative?" Representatives are supposed to vote and do things with the best interests of their constituents in mind, not what they do with their own kids. If they can afford to pay for a private school, and they want to send their kids to a private school, more power to them. This is a free country and that is their right to be able to do so. However, if they think it is in the best interests of their constituents NOT to have a voucher program that will hurt public schools which most of the kids of the people they represent attend... then they made the right choice.

US kids are among the last in Math and Science. How much more is someone going to hurt these schools? Maybe they are doing something wrong? It would be fair to let some of the poorer children have a chance to attend a better school. If those children not attending class in public schools affects funding, then maybe its time to revisit the .way public schools are funded. Surely there must be someone intelligent enough to do this?

Do you have any idea how these tests are slanted to the US's disadvantage?

The best American students are equal to or exceed the scores from other countries. None of those other countries test all of their their students. If they did, do you honestly think some kids in these third world countries could outperform our best and brightest? Germany was so upset that the test results were biased against countries with large immigrant populations that they pulled out of the tests completely. Isn't Germany one of those educational systems that many people want to serve as a model for our schools to follow?

When you put students who barely speak English taking a math or science test that is not in their native language, how can you compare the results? Just think of all the different languages spoken in our schools today. I once taught a 7th grade World Civilizations class where there were none (For those more mathematically inclined, we will use the word "ZERO"!) students in that class who spoke English as their first language. Those are the kids were are testing in math and science that bring down the average score of US students to such meager levels.

I have many exceptionally bright students, but I also have a large number who think that getting out of bed in the morning is all they need to accomplish for the day. If they can text on their phone, play video games, or watch Youtube videos, they are fine with doing absolutely nothing towards their education. I have many students whose major challenge is getting to school in the first place, but truancy laws are virtually impossible to enforce because of the rampant liberalism in society that it does no good to hold them accountable.

For someone in education, Admiral...your word comprehension skills are a bit off! I didn't say my brother told me he didn't have teachers working more than 40 hours a week...i said that nobody in his school system works 80 plus hours a week. Care to try again?

So, you are admitting your brother is a clueless? I guarantee there are multiple people who work that many hours. If not, they are in a lousy school putting out a lousy product. I have never worked less than 50 hours a week and I have been a teacher for 20 years.

Well, that's not 80, is it......

Man, do you people need reading comprehension lessons. Go back and read what I said. Then if you want to argue, bring it on, but stop arguing with me about things that you don't understand because you cannot read. I said that I worked 80 hours a week as an administrator. That is why I no longer do that job. I was getting paid only slightly more than as a teacher and working twice as hard.

Children do better in schools taught by union teachers than schools taught by the cheapest available teacher

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Says it all, does it not?

He's a lawyer! That is his J-O-B!

Glad you agree! Thanks!

He is not an educator, dumbass!

Children do better in schools taught by union teachers than schools taught by the cheapest available teacher

Glad you agree! Thanks!

WOW! You must be a teacher to have put that together!

I'm simply pointing out the problems. You wish to disagree with the facts. That's your problem.

Glad you agree! Thanks!

WOW! You must be a teacher to have put that together!

I'm simply pointing out the problems. You wish to disagree with the facts. That's your problem.

What problem are you pointing out? The problem is that you are clueless. The facts are that he is a lawyer not an educator. He is not a member of the union, Why not just admit that and we can move on?

Do you understand the term "Representative?" Representatives are supposed to vote and do things with the best interests of their constituents in mind, not what they do with their own kids. If they can afford to pay for a private school, and they want to send their kids to a private school, more power to them. This is a free country and that is their right to be able to do so. However, if they think it is in the best interests of their constituents NOT to have a voucher program that will hurt public schools which most of the kids of the people they represent attend... then they made the right choice.

US kids are among the last in Math and Science. How much more is someone going to hurt these schools? Maybe they are doing something wrong? It would be fair to let some of the poorer children have a chance to attend a better school. If those children not attending class in public schools affects funding, then maybe its time to revisit the way public schools are funded. Surely there must be someone intelligent enough to do this?

The problem is that the federal government thinks throwing money at a problem solves it, it doesn't. Here in Kentucky you can drive the back roads in some of the poorest counties in the country, and you'll see brand new schools full of high tech equipment. Yet Kentucky has some of the poorest educational rankings in the country. Why? Because first off, so many kids here have parents that would rather have their kids working a job just to bring in some income than studying and doing well in school. Secondly because the government thinks that the poor educational performance is directly related to the kind of school the students do to and the equipment they have... and lastly because every year the students are taught just to try and do well on the standardized tests and not actually improve their education from year to year.

So you want an answer to the problem? Quit trying to compare apples to oranges and start comparing the students performance based on growth against their own scores and not some mystical average student.

Why should I bother telling you? Honestly, you know so very little about what goes on in education, you would not understand anyway. But here is my typical week.

I arrive at school at 7 am at the absolute latest every day. Class starts at 8 and I teach until 3pm. That's 40 hours a week right there. I tutor three days a week after school for my students. That's 43 hours. I grade papers for at least 2 hours each day, sometimes staying at school until after 6 pm. We'll be generous and say that I don't stay late on Fridays, so we will add another 8 hours, so we are up to 51. Each night I write my lesson plans and that takes about 2-3 hours because I teach 3 separate classes. Because we have no textbooks, I write SmartBoard presentations, edit worksheets for their classwork/homework, and then make up handouts containing notes and formulas we use. We'll go conservative and add another 10 hours. That's 61 hours. I also have to do a book study for my new teacher orientation classes because I am new to this district, despite having taught 20 years. That's a few hours a week, We'll add three for that so we are up to 64 hours. On Sundays, I have to watch professional development videos to get my required 24 hours in this year, so we'll add another 2 for that. That's a total of 66 hours. Oh, BTW, because my district held their professional development in the summer before I was hired, I paid nearly $200 out of pocket for the video courses that I am using.

I also sell tickets for sports events at school as part of my other assigned duties. I watch the restrooms between classes, which is about the only time I get to use those facilities. I do not have my own classroom because we are building a new school on-site and I am the new kid on the block. I push a cart with all of my instructional materials to 4 different classrooms throughout the day. Our teachers lounge contains two copiers, a refrigerator, a microwave (donated by yours truly) and our mailboxes. There are no chairs or desks. My planning period has me sitting at my desk/cart near an electrical outlet in a hallway so I can use my printer (bought and paid for by yours truly).

That's as a teacher. Now imagine being an administrator and having to supervise all of the after school sports and other activities,

So even exaggerating the ever loving shit out of everything you do...you only got it up to 66 hours? That's after claiming to work 80 hour plus weeks. So let me guess...you're not teaching math...are you, Admiral?

So even exaggerating the ever loving shit out of everything you do...you only got it up to 66 hours? That's after claiming to work 80 hour plus weeks. So let me guess...you're not teaching math...are you, Admiral?

You need remedial reading. I said I worked 80 hours a week as an administrator in response to those who accused administrators of being hired to do nothing.

Then the subject was then turned to what teachers work. I responded with my current situation Try reading it again and see if you can't figure it out. If not find a 10 year-old to read it to you!

Yes...the democrats will condemn minority kids to hell holes for schools.......and happily send their own kids to private schools...from the salaries we pay them....

Well, well, well........the fake indian princess sent her kids to private schools....

Senators Opposed Vouchers Backer DeVos, Send THEIR Kids To Posh Private School

Sen. Al Franken, a Democrat representing Minnesota who was once an unfunny comedian with bit parts on “Saturday Night Live,” has two children who attend The Dalton School in New York City — 1,018 miles from Minneapolis and 226 miles from Washington, D.C.

The cost of a single year of tuition for students in kindergarten through 12th grade at Dalton is $44,640. This amount, which represents slightly more than the average household income in the state of Alabama, is “among the lowest of our peer schools,” the posh Upper East Side school trumpets. On Friday, lunch at Dalton scrumptiously featured sustainable green tea salmon, anasazi bean salad, fresh organic papaya yogurt and a pasta bar with both marinara sauce and puttanesca sauce.

Dalton is most famous because its administration called off this year’s ice-skating party after a large group of parents refused to send their children to the Trump Wollman Rink in Central Park for political reasons. (RELATED: ‘Liberal Moms’ Make Fancypants Manhattan Prep School Cancel Ice Skating Party At Trump Rink)

Elizabeth-Warren-Getty-Images-Kris-Connor-GOOD.jpg

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat representing Massachusetts, has a granddaughter who rubs shoulders with the children of movie stars at the trendy Harvard-Westlake School in Los Angeles, California. Tuition at Harvard-Westlake costs $35,900 each year. There’s also a $2,000 fee for new students.

Harvard-Westlake offers a bevy of amazing opportunities for students including study-abroad programs in Spain, France, China, Italy and India. There’s also the Mountain School, “an independent semester program that provides high school juniors the opportunity to live and work on an organic farm in rural Vermont.”

Sheldon-Whitehouse-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat representing Rhode Island and himself a private boarding school product, has two children. His daughter attended the Wheeler School, a coed day school in Providence where a single year of tuition for sixth grade through 12th grade currently costs $35,215.

Sixth graders at Wheeler spend a segment of the school year romping around at a 120-acre farm owned by the school. The “unique, place-based experience” includes “vigorous scientific leaf studies” and “examinations of poetry, art, and mathematical models deepened through the context of” the school-owned farm.

Whitehouse, who has owned stock in a for-profit charter school company, also sent his son to a St. George’s School, a private boarding school in a gorgeous hamlet on the seaside.

Annual tuition at St. George’s is currently $39,900. Boarding students pay $58,000.

St. George’s offers a special program which allows students to sail around the world for several week on a 69-foot sailboat “traveling in a grand loop from Rhode Island across to the Azores and Spain, through the Mediterranean to Italy and Greece, back to the Canary Islands and Puerto Rico.”

Kirsten-Gillibrand-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, a Democrat representing New York and herself an alumna of the tony Emma Willard School, sends her two school-age children to Capitol Hill Day School, according to The Washington Post. Tuition at the private, progressive bastion currently runs $30,300.00 per year for sixth through eighth grades, $28,700.00 per year for first through fifth grades and $28,000.00 per year for preschoolers.

Instruction in French and Spanish begins in preschool at Capitol Hill Day School. Also, performing arts is a big deal. There are “operas based on children’s books,” for example, and the sixth graders put on a musical theater production.

Richard-Blumenthal-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat representing Connecticut, sent one of his four children to Brunswick School, a private, all-boys day school in Greenwich, according to the Connecticut Post. A year of high school tuition at Brunswick currently costs $40,450. Tuition for preschoolers costs $30,930 per year.

On Tuesday, grade school kids at Brunswick will enjoy a delicious lunch of barbecue antibiotic-free chicken sandwiches on Texas rolls.

Blumenthal sent another one of his kids to Greenwich Academy, an all-girls day school where high school tuition currently runs $41,890. A single year of prekindergarten at the private institution costs $37,470.

Tuesday’s lunch at Greenwich Academy includes potato leek soup, baked macaroni and cheese and braised red cabbage.

Maggie-Hassan-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Maggie Hassan, a Democrat representing New Hampshire, has two children. Her daughter attended Phillips Exeter Academy, one of the most notable fancypants private schools in the United States. Hassan’s husband, Thomas, was the principal of Phillips Exeter at the time. The cost for a year of tuition and fees at Phillips Exeter is currently $37,875. Boarding students pay $48,550.

The lunch menu at Phillips Exeter features “authentic recipes from around the world” and “more than 5,000 recipes in regular rotation.” Dinner selections for boarders include “grilled steak tips, fettuccine alfredo, palak paneer or quinoa with nuts.” Also, all dining staffers — “from chefs to dishwashers” receive “training in food allergens.”

Bob-Casey-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Bob Casey, a Democrat representing Pennsylvania, sent his daughters to Scranton Preparatory School, a private Jesuit school where a year of tuition costs $13,400. Casey is also an alumnus of Scranton Prep.

Every classroom at Scranton Prep offers cutting-edge technology and contains “the very latest in interactive instructional technology.” There’s also a very impressive 34,000-square-foot building dedicated to the arts and sciences which features “state-of-the-art science classrooms and laboratories as well as a magnificent theater that seats 875 people.”

Read more: Senators Opposed Vouchers Backer DeVos, Send THEIR Kids To Posh Private School
They pay.

That s the difference dumbass.

They aren't whining & wanting me to pay.

DeVos wants me to pay for your sniveling brat to go to private school. I say fuck that.

I pay for public school.

Use it or lose it.
I don't get your objection.

You are already paying for schools. Why would you be angry that these education dollars are going to a good school rather than a failing one?

You need remedial reading. I said I worked 80 hours a week as an administrator in response to those who accused administrators of being hired to do nothing.

Then the subject was then turned to what teachers work. I responded with my current situation Try reading it again and see if you can't figure it out. If not find a 10 year-old to read it to you!

What in god's name are you doing for 80 plus hours a week as an "administrator", Admiral?

What in god's name are you doing for 80 plus hours a week as an "administrator", Admiral?

I was in a school of over 3000 kids. Use your imagination.

Are you reluctant to tell us what it is that you did because you'd have to admit that you spent most of your days having to "feed the beast" that the Department of Education has become in this country, Admiral?

Are you reluctant to tell us what it is that you did because you'd have to admit that you spent most of your days having to "feed the beast" that the Department of Education has become in this country, Admiral?

I did NOTHING that was required by the Department of Education. There were no impacts on my daily routine because of federal rules.

I did NOTHING that was required by the Department of Education. There were no impacts on my daily routine because of federal rules.

I find that remarkable, Admiral! Does your school of over 3000 kids not have a school lunch program?

I find that remarkable, Admiral! Does your school of over 3000 kids not have a school lunch program?

The school lunch program is not a concern for individual schools. See how little you know?

The school lunch program is not a concern for individual schools. See how little you know?

Yet my aunt did inspections of individual school's school lunch programs for the better part of forty years! Who knew that wasn't a "concern" for individual schools!

Forum List

Back