The Y2K bug, 22 years later

Golfing, I agree to some extent with you, but also disagree.

Why?

Because politicians have absolutely no clue about anything, especially if they have been politicians most of their adult lives. You even admitted the Y2K problem was discovered 1993; and it took 7 years?!?!?!?! While I appreciate everyone that worked on that problem very hard and for so long to solve it, why 7 years? Seems a bit long to most; doesn't it to you?

I see where you are coming from, but I was thinking more about "we the people" making everything political even more than the politicians.

I mean there is a thread on this very forum that has made getting a vasectomy a political issue. That is the sort of thing I was really thinking about

I see where you are coming from, but I was thinking more about "we the people" making everything political even more than the politicians.

I mean there is a thread on this very forum that has made getting a vasectomy a political issue. That is the sort of thing I was really thinking aboutFair enough

I mean there is a thread on this very forum that has made getting a vasectomy a political issue. That is the sort of thing I was really thinking about

Fair enough Golfing. I am just suggesting, that politicians are not our salvation. You are correct, for the good of the country, many times politics need to be put aside; in fact, the opposing party is supposed to stop politics at the waters edge when it comes to foreign policy. Sadly, neither of our political entities follow this edict any longer.

This is why I try never to comment on Afghanistan withdrawal, North Korea tea parties under Trump, etc. If I have, I apologize to you.

It appears to me with recent events, it might not be long before the most important issue in the Presidential election is foreign policy. As of right now though, it is still domestic.

You and I do not agree on most issues, but one thing we do agree on is.......we need a more nimble federal government. That is not much for either of us to ask of them, is it?

Dude, you took a 22 year old hoax and tried to revive it as if it had some sort of merit.

You did this because you thought this would deflate criticism of the media bullshit surrounding Covid and the Reichstag Fire.

You thought that if you could lend a sense of credibility to the long debunked Y2K hoax, that it would deflate criticism of the Covid and Reichstag media malfeasance,.

"See, we were right back then, so we are right now."

Except you weren't right, you weren't even on the right subject.

There was no bug, and no one "discovered" anything. Some code on a very few very old systems had to be updated.

Big fucking whoopie.

As noted in the OP...Y2K was not overblown.

It was dealt with so that it didn't become a problem

And 800,000 deaths says covid was not overblown...

800,000 deaths was collateral damage, compared to the way the left reacted to the pandemic: The destruction of entire economies, the shutdowns, the paranoia, the deaths caused by the health care system neglecting everything else, the increased use of drugs and alcohol, the suicides, and the ill effects of the vaccines, many which won't even be known for years.

Let's face it: China made you hurt yourself.

Golfing, I agree to some extent with you, but also disagree.

Why?

Because politicians have absolutely no clue about anything, especially if they have been politicians most of their adult lives. You even admitted the Y2K problem was discovered 1993; and it took 7 years?!?!?!?! While I appreciate everyone that worked on that problem very hard and for so long to solve it, why 7 years? Seems a bit long to most; doesn't it to you?

Let us fast forward to COVID! How long was it projected before a vaccine? Why 5 to 7 years was the projection of course. Sound familiar? So how did we get it in 9 months? Maybe because a politician wasn't in charge? Just saying.

People can despise Trump all they want, but his use of Federal funds, out and out threats to the drug companies if they tried to profit over the top after he funded them to create it, and his funding of them in advance so that the product would be available as soon as it was developed and approved by the FDA saved hundreds of thousands of lives, if not millions across the globe. In fact, Trump's investment of billions has now given us a pill that can help. For a supposed incompetent boob, he cut through all the red tape, and possibly helped save one of all our family members from severe illness.

I wish for Joe Biden the same success, and we could surely use it now. I am an American, and while I believe Joe has no idea what he is doing because he is a life long politician, I still hope for his success in this matter of COVID. He should not be worried about talking to other politicians for solutions, he should be going to the medical experts and drug companies with wallet in hand.

I don't like LEFTISTS perse, but I love them because they are Americans! Joe needs to be wise and save Americans because, after all; we are all in this together, like it or not.
This Post is The DEFACTO WINNER!

As noted in the OP...Y2K was not overblown.

It was dealt with so that it didn't become a problem

And 800,000 deaths says covid was not overblown...
More people die every year from the common cold, flu or pneumonia, or lower respiratory illness before COVID (coronavirus yes same virus as the common cold) ever came around.

Notice how they left out suicide?

2019 vs 2020

1640872203279.png

2018 vs 2019

1640873112524.png

Also note that COVID in the US was only responsible for 85 deaths per 100,000 people. That is an astonishingly low mortality rate for what is being called a Pandemic.

The Death Rate from COVID is 0.00085%

You are being lied to.

Last edited:
COVID is 110% political. The left didn't let a good crisis go to waste, got rid of a great President, and replaced him with a worthless POS.
It’s playing out in every country in the world moron. Blaming politics is ridiculous. Just look up.

I’d say you’re not at all correct except you have no verb in that sentence making it not a sentence.
You sir are a moron from a party of morons.

die
/dī/

Architecture
verb

1. 1.
    (of a person, animal, or plant) stop living.
    "the king died a violent death"

It’s playing out in every country in the world moron. Blaming politics is ridiculous. Just look up.

And in many other countries of the world, the pandemic is being exploited by the left in order to increase their power and control over the population. Look that the lockdowns, mandates, and draconian rules being put into place in countries like France, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

And in many other countries of the world, the pandemic is being exploited by the left in order to increase their power and control over the population. Look that the lockdowns, mandates, and draconian rules being put into place in countries like France, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
World wide conspiracy from a group sooooo coordinated that they can’t align their elected officials behind the BBB bill? That’s moronic. There is a sickness by low information right wingers who want to feel special in life so they manufacture a vast left wing conspiracy. Nuts.

More people than what? It’s not a complete sentence?
You really are an idiot and a leftist troll.

Here is the complete quote:

"More people die every year from the common cold, flu or pneumonia before COVID (coronavirus, yes, the same virus as the common cold) ever came around."

But nice dodge, zipperhead.

Poor Jacky can't tell the difference between mere number of ballots counted and actual legal votes.

Dummass, Trump's economy was great all four years, the best ever, even the last compared to now, and at that, only reduced by the democrat-mandated shutdowns in blue states!

Quit trying to muddy the water with irrelevancies, cupcake. Only thing that matters right now is what is Biddum's excuse for importing two million unvaccinated illegals into this country then busing them all around the country in secret?

All legal votes. Stop fucking whining. He lost. Deal with it.
Trump got the benefit of a growing economy and falling unemployment from his predecessor....until his presidency was tested for the first time
and he threw up all over his shoes.

World wide conspiracy from a group sooooo coordinated that they can’t align their elected officials behind the BBB bill? That’s moronic. There is a sickness by low information right wingers who want to feel special in life so they manufacture a vast left wing conspiracy. Nuts.

Let us all forget a conspiracy theory for a moment, and instead discuss logic. All of you seem to be intelligent people, so let us start there.

Unless any of you are not paying attention, people who have been vaxed are still getting COVID and spreading it to others, vaxed and no vaxed. Case in point, look at our sports teams, college and professional.

So then, someone has to explain to the rest of us the logic of allowing people to cross the Southern border, untested and unvaccinated, then distributing them throughout the country at record numbers. Does that make any sense to anyone on here? Forget who they are or where they came from, it makes little or no difference if they are from South America, Europe, Asia, or Mars. It is totally illogical!

Last I heard, we have policies in place that do not allow people to fly in, sail in, or cross the Canadian border by auto in either direction without meeting specific criteria to protect ourselves, and others abroad.

People of a certain political persuasion have to explain this logically, and so far, they have not been able to do so. If COVID is the number 1 or 2 issue on the ballot, I do not see how anyone can vote for a Democrat that supports this illogical, logic. With all things being equal, you can not insist that people follow your rules, except for certain people. To do so, puts these special people above everyone else, including your own citizens. Doing that might not show conspiracy, but it does show such incompetence that they should never be re-elected again.

Let us all forget a conspiracy theory for a moment, and instead discuss logic. All of you seem to be intelligent people, so let us start there.

Unless any of you are not paying attention, people who have been vaxed are still getting COVID and spreading it to others, vaxed and no vaxed. Case in point, look at our sports teams, college and professional.

So then, someone has to explain to the rest of us the logic of allowing people to cross the Southern border, untested and unvaccinated, then distributing them throughout the country at record numbers. Does that make any sense to anyone on here? Forget who they are or where they came from, it makes little or no difference if they are from South America, Europe, Asia, or Mars. It is totally illogical!

Last I heard, we have policies in place that do not allow people to fly in, sail in, or cross the Canadian border by auto in either direction without meeting specific criteria to protect ourselves, and others abroad.

People of a certain political persuasion have to explain this logically, and so far, they have not been able to do so. If COVID is the number 1 or 2 issue on the ballot, I do not see how anyone can vote for a Democrat that supports this illogical, logic. With all things being equal, you can not insist that people follow your rules, except for certain people. To do so, puts these special people above everyone else, including your own citizens. Doing that might not show conspiracy, but it does show such incompetence that they should never be re-elected again.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security works with state authorities, local authorities and non-governmental organizations to ensure that 100% of noncitizens are tested for COVID-19 during their immigration journey. The agency said that a negative coronavirus test is required by the federal government before entry to the U.S.

There are 275 positive Covid cases in custody today out of 22,000 detainees. This isn’t the issue to harp on if you are genuinely interested in community health.

What does this have to do with Y2K? :auiqs.jpg:

I was reading an article looking back at the Y2K bug. Some people today will say it was just one more panic that did not pan out. That it was all over blown.

But the fact of the matter is that it was a real problem that was discovered in 1993. Once it was found people took it seriously in the US alone we spent 100 billion dollars fixing it. I have seen estimates of over 2 billion man hours used to correct the problem.

The result of it being taken seriously is that when 2000 hit, there were no issues thanks to the work done for 7 years.

Then I wondered if something similar was found today, what would be the outcome.

Would we agree to spend the time and money to fix it, or would it become yet one more political tool and one side would be for fixing it so the other side would have to be against doing so. Would we spend our time fixing it or would we spend our time calling each other names and blaming the problem on the other side?

I am not confident we would be able to do what we did between 93 and 2000.
There actually is a another Y2K coming in 2038.

Many companies use Oracle and many of those systems use timestamps. The problem with timestamp in Oracle is that it can't store a value greater than '2038-01-19 03:14:07' UTC.

I was with Reuters Financial Transactions Division at the time and we probably spent the better part of 1999 on the Y2K “what ifs”.

Forum List

Back