The Wonder Years

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
being redone as a Black vehicle?

Has Hollywood COMPLETELY ran out of ideas?

But then, it will be the first time a black family has had their own series.

IF you ignore The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, Good Times, What's Happening, Sanford and Son, etc.

Thoughts?

IF you ignore The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, Good Times, What's Happening, Sanford and Son, etc.

Thoughts?
Thoughts... about what you think? No. You are too predictable.

Could be an interesting period piece. Could suck eggs also. To answer the question: yes, they have run out of ideas years ago. It’s all remakes and reboots.

Thoughts?
Thoughts... about what you think? No. You are too predictable.

You are too predictable.

Not nearly as predictable as you are.

thanks for your non answer.

Thoughts?
It needs to be set in a more realistic setting.
1. Inner-city ghettos.
2. No father figure.
3. Mother works two jobs putting food on the table, which she is never around to prepare.
4. Older son, sells drugs to get rich quick and mugs people for entertainment (in and out of the episodes depending upon his incarceration situation at the time).
5. Younger son (who his older self narrates the story, in keeping with the Wonder Years), hangs with the kids his age and who are always accusing him of "trying to be white" when all he wants to do is better himself and not end up like his older brother.
6. The neighbor girl, who the younger kid has a crush on. She's just a set piece of no importance, drifting in and out of episodes as the plots call for it.
7. Neighbor family 1. Black. Absolutely evil. They make the Manson Family seem like amateurs.
8. Neighbor family 2. White. Stupid, Mentally deficient. Too dumb to tie their own shoes (a token white family for the racist blacks to laugh at).

Thoughts?

Speaking freely, I take very personally the cultural execution of classic pop culture icons, which end of the day feels like a malicious attempt to destroy the American concept of "hero" in the minds of older Americans and replace it with social justice inspired political correctness Americans like myself cannot stand. That being said, I think that an entirely new series—one written even in a similar vein—would better serve black audiences. Why not give black audiences something thoroughly original that their children can look back on with nostalgic fondness in twenty or thirty years, rather than appropriate a has been plotline intended for audiences of yesteryear?

Thoughts?
It needs to be set in a more realistic setting.
1. Inner-city ghettos.
2. No father figure.
3. Mother works two jobs putting food on the table, which she is never around to prepare.
4. Older son, sells drugs to get rich quick and mugs people for entertainment (in and out of the episodes depending upon his incarceration situation at the time).
5. Younger son (who his older self narrates the story, in keeping with the Wonder Years), hangs with the kids his age and who are always accusing him of "trying to be white" when all he wants to do is better himself and not end up like his older brother.
6. The neighbor girl, who the younger kid has a crush on. She's just a set piece of no importance, drifting in and out of episodes as the plots call for it.
7. Neighbor family 1. Black. Absolutely evil. They make the Manson Family seem like amateurs.
8. Neighbor family 2. White. Stupid, Mentally deficient. Too dumb to tie their own shoes (a token white family for the racist blacks to laugh at).

I loved The PJ's!!!!
Then the blacks got all offended even though it was created by Eddie Murphy.
It could have competed with the Simpsons but noooo!!
Blacks had to get all offended.

Thoughts?
I think it should be judged by the strength of the shows rather than the color of the actors.
I don't have a problem with that.

But, why do they need to recycle an old tv series to do it?

They tried to recycle the Honeymooners in movie using black actors.

it sucked.

If they tried recycling the Cosby Show with white actors, I doubt it would work.

Ideas for fiction are re-cycled ALL THE TIME. West Side Story = Romeo & Juliette.

Sometimes the later iteration is better than the original.

There is no rational reason to pre-judge this series. Let it rise or fall on its merits.

Have the original on DVD. Like to watch it now and then. Would get it on digital too.

I don't bother to watch the SJW crap fest out there.

Serious topic.

A cast member of "Friends" has recently suggested that today it would feature a non-Caucasian cast.

Bad idea, IMHO.

"Friends" was a comedy based on the sensibilities of a group of Caucasian twentysomethings.

If a non-Caucasian cast used the same script, it would be absurd. And a flop.

A group of non-Caucasian twentysomethings would not think or talk that way.

Yes, many non-Caucasian TV shows will be forthcoming. They should, however, be authentic and reflect the culture of those particular groups.

Forum List

Back