The University of New Hampshire wants the word “American” banned.

This is FANTASTIC!

I've been asking for a website we can regularly visit to know which words and phrases we are allowed to use, and this comes pretty close!! - Bias-Free Language Guide Inclusive Excellence

Some delightful examples:

Preferred: people of advanced age, old people*
Problematic/Outdated: older people, elders, seniors, senior citizen
Preferred: person who lacks advantages that others have, low economic status related to a person’s education, occupation and income
Problematic: poor person, person from the ghetto
Note: Some people choose to live a life that is not connected to the consumer world of material possessions. They do not identify as “poor”.
Preferred: person living at or below the poverty line, people experiencing poverty
Problematic/Outdated: poor person, poverty-stricken person
Preferred: person-experiencing homelessness
Problematic/Outdated: the homeless, which reduces the person to being defined by their housing rather than as a person first - one who does not have a home
Preferred: person-using welfare
Problematic/Outdated: “welfare queen”
Preferred: person of material wealth
Problematic: rich
Being rich gets conflated with a sort of omnipotence; hence, immunity from customs and the law. People without material wealth could be wealthy or rich of spirit, kindness, etc.
Preferred: people of size
Problematic/Outdated: obese*, overweight people
“Obese” is the medicalization of size, and “overweight” is arbitrary; for example, standards differ from one culture to another.
Note: “Fat”, a historically derogatory term, is increasingly being reclaimed by people of size and their allies, yet for some, it is a term that comes from pain.
Preferred: "non-disabled" is the preferred term for people without disabilities.
problematic: normal, able-bodied, healthy or whole
Preferred: person who is blind/visually impaired
Problematic: blind person, “dumb”
Preferred: person who is deaf or hard-of-hearing
Problematic: deaf person, Deaf-and-Dumb, Deaf-Mute
Preferred: person with a speech/communication impairment
Problematic: dumb, speech impediment
Preferred: person who is learning disabled, person who has a cognitive disability, person with a learning or cognitive disability, persons
with intellectual and developmental disability
Problematic: retarded, slow, brain-damaged, special education student
Preferred: person with a psychiatric disability; person with a mental health condition
Problematic: mentally ill, hyper-sensitive, psycho, crazy, insane, wacko, nuts
Preferred: wheelchair user, person who is - wheelchair mobile, physically disabled, quadriplegic, paraplegic
Problematic: handicapped, physically challenged, invalid, “special”, deformed, cripple, gimp, spaz, wheelchair-bound, confined to a wheelchair, lame
Preferred: seeking help for emotional mental health, person who identifies as having an emotional disability
Problematic: emotionally disturbed
Preferred: cognitively/developmentally delayed/disabled, person with a cognitive/developmental delay or disability, person with an intellectual disability
Problematic: retard, mentally retarded, special ed student
Preferred: someone of short stature, little person
Problematic: dwarf, midget
Preferred: person “living with” a specific disability, (i.e. “someone living with cancer or AIDS”)
Problematic: victim, someone “stricken with” a disability (i.e. “someone stricken with cancer” or “an AIDS victim”)

You people in the PC Police have gone completely off the ledge.

Yes, you are completely reasonable tho taking your Cues from a random website because as you know, you cannot do things unless its approved by everyone on the internet. Its NOT that you are searching for things to take offense too and overstating its importance. Noooooo!
The PC Police are always standing by, ready to jump in and self-identify for me.

:laugh:

Nice dodge but in order for someone to laugh about it you'd have not not engage in the labeling yourself
This madness is coming from the hardcore Left, where you reside.

Man up and admit it, and enjoy!

:rock:

You just did it again...must be part of the PC police huh

Mac be like

food-ingredients-to-avoid-open.jpg

14 Foods You Should Never Eat

Aww man, the PC police is hard at work destroying my ability to eat Strawberries! Here is a blog that says so, Woe is me.

I'm betting this article is a lie or if true is being used to not show the problem with one idiotic proposal but how liberals and the democratic party et al are to blame.

Then PC will tell us how this ties in to Harry Truman
The article says "American" is problematic, depending on "the context." Which context is that".

I'm betting this article is a lie or if true is being used to not show the problem with one idiotic proposal but how liberals and the democratic party et al are to blame.

The article says "American" is problematic, depending on "the context." Which context is that".

Whatever context you want it to be to get your outrage on

If these people do not like what is in front of them, they are free to go elsewhere whenever they want to. No one is forcing them to be here. Its their lives.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I love it when people don't even bother to follow any links, and just take Jim Hoft at his word. It invariably ends in failure.

From the so-called list of "banned" words:

The views expressed in this guide are NOT the policy of the University of New Hampshire. UNH supports free speech on all of our campuses. Read President Huddleston’s statement.

If someone tells you a lie you want to believe is true, why would you question it?

It is it even possible to engage in an informed enlightened discussion on a college campus without stumbling over "biased words"? This is craziness times ten. The idiotic games that many college kids seem addicted to are full of violence not to mention offensive words. Call me old fashioned but I am offended by college coeds freely using the (F) word which is apparently not on the offensive list. The dirty little secret in my opinion is that American (pardon the biased word) victims of union based education in primary schools are tops in the world in self esteem but they aren't able to articulate even a simple argument. When they hear a comment that offends their self esteem they sulk and complain and the "offender" is chastised by the institution and their self esteem is restored once again.

I got cher context right here.
Back in 1992 when the Toronto Blue Jays won the world series I heard some hapless radio announcer refer to them as "the first non-American team to win the Series".

What continent, then, had Canada moved to? I checked my globe, and it was still in North America. When is America not America?

There's the issue, and it's not new: Canadians are "Americans", just as Nicaraguans, Brazilians, Chileans, Panamanians and everybody else who lives in the Americas are "Americans". The same way that Germans, Portuguese, Danes and Swiss are also "Europeans", or Indians and Vietnamese and Indonesians are all "Asians".

We assumed the proper name "American" because we weren't creative enough to come up with something that refers specifically to us. That's not the problem of Brazil and Paraguay and Canada. They thought up their own names already. We didn't.

Again, the article says "banned words"

The words are not banned, but rather a more preferred way to say certain things about people without insulting them. You know empathy? The thing you conservative psychopaths lack?

Another made up conservative scandal

This means we can say black again instead of african american.
This will affect the NFL and MLB leagues and conferences. No more American U here in DC. No more American Airlines. The good thing is Native Americans will now become injuns again.

Again, the article says "banned words"

The words are not banned, but rather a more preferred way to say certain things about people without insulting them. You know empathy? The thing you conservative psychopaths lack?

Another made up conservative scandal

What insults?

The dirty little secret in my opinion is that American (pardon the biased word) victims of union based education in primary schools are tops in the world in self esteem but they aren't able to articulate even a simple argument.
You have that exactly right: Confident Idiots American Students Growing More Confident Less Capable - The College Fix
When they hear a comment that offends their self esteem they sulk and complain and the "offender" is chastised by the institution and their self esteem is restored once again.
Yes, this manic hypersensitivity is literally destroying the very curiosity and open dialogue that used to be the hallmark of the college experience. This is the time of a young person's life to learn how to ask questions, to challenge answers and to expand their thought processes and independent critical thinking skills.

Instead, we're churning out ideological robots who are far more likely to whine about a word used in a sentence than they are to practice intellectual curiosity about the actual topic being discussed.

Sad. We're quickly losing the dynamic spirit of this country: Openness, curiosity, ideas, debate.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back