The United Sweets of America

All my relatives except my father are from Mississippi and I've never even heard of mud cake, much less eaten it. I've had Jeff Davis pie and hummingbird cake, and I'd suggest the latter.

Definitely agreed on Maine blueberries though.

California has Meyer Lemon Cake.

As if. I've never seen it in the many restaurants I've patronized in the Bay Area. Meyer Lemon tart, yes. Cake no.

And if anything is a common dessert in Foodie CA restaurants, it's Molten Chocolate Cake.

I haven't even heard of gooey cake (or whatever) for Missouri. I'm also not from Saint Louis.
I love icecream. I can smother that on a man and eat it off.

Your thinking of Mississippi mud
Missouri
Gooey butter cake

Gooey butter cake is a St. Louis curiosity that seems to defy description (despite the seemingly specific nature of its name). It falls somewhere between a sheet cake and a bar: It starts with a layer of thick, extra-buttery yellow cake (doctored from a cake mix box, usually), but the gooey part comes from a filling made of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and eggs. Like most great regional specialties, it comes with a host of contradictory origin stories, all of which place its birth somewhere in the 1930s or 1940s

Forum List

Back