The UN is important because...

That is because they are not a threat to the sanctity of humanity.

Niether are squirrels a threat to the sanctity of humanity.

Your point?

Squirrels can be quite vicious!

jedi_squirrels.jpg
080524-squirrelwars.gif

The UN is a joke.

No, the UN is beyond a joke. It's a toothless entity that generates hot air and is used by Third World countries to remind First World nations that it's time to write their annual foreign aid cheques.

I mean honestly, apart from making empty threats and serving as a rostrum to gesticulate and shrug shoulders on, what exactly does the UN do?

I'll tell you.

It's an organisation that was created to replace what it's become, The League of Nations. It's now essentially a country club where foreign diplomats from desperately poor countries can live like kings at the expense of others. These 'officials' then opinionate and condemn the economic activity undertaken by the countries that can actually organise themselves and their economy.

The UN would make a real difference if, when signing-up, a country forfeits an element of its sovereignty to allow, when deemed necessary, UN officials to oversee elections to combat corruption and supervise and audit the allocation of aid to stop it going into the pockets of corrupt officials. Until that element of outside influence is implemented, the UN will remain useless. Seriously, it has to be said: some countries are incapable of running themselves.

Seriously, the day the free world wakes-up and ditches these politically correct constraints its been mislead into joining so as to fund the medieval societies in the Third World that show zero interest in economic and social progression, will be the day when we make real progress. Think what a potent alliance could be created if the United States, Great Britain, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Russia entered into a pact similar in concept to the UN but had a solid set of rules detailing what is required of member states, and the consequences of gross deviation from these rules. That would be an organisation equiped with the tools to address suffering and sickness, and be a force to be reckoned with for those who oppress the weak and vulnerable

The UN is corrupt to the core, does not do anything in the way of positive outcomes, and should be disbanded altogether. If it isn't disbanded, then the US needs to pull out. Period.

The UN is a joke.

No, the UN is beyond a joke. It's a toothless entity that generates hot air and is used by Third World countries to remind First World nations that it's time to write their annual foreign aid cheques.

I mean honestly, apart from making empty threats and serving as a rostrum to gesticulate and shrug shoulders on, what exactly does the UN do?

I'll tell you.

It's an organisation that was created to replace what it's become, The League of Nations. It's now essentially a country club where foreign diplomats from desperately poor countries can live like kings at the expense of others. These 'officials' then opinionate and condemn the economic activity undertaken by the countries that can actually organise themselves and their economy.

The UN would make a real difference if, when signing-up, a country forfeits an element of its sovereignty to allow, when deemed necessary, UN officials to oversee elections to combat corruption and supervise and audit the allocation of aid to stop it going into the pockets of corrupt officials. Until that element of outside influence is implemented, the UN will remain useless. Seriously, it has to be said: some countries are incapable of running themselves.

Seriously, the day the free world wakes-up and ditches these politically correct constraints its been mislead into joining so as to fund the medieval societies in the Third World that show zero interest in economic and social progression, will be the day when we make real progress. Think what a potent alliance could be created if the United States, Great Britain, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Russia entered into a pact similar in concept to the UN but had a solid set of rules detailing what is required of member states, and the consequences of gross deviation from these rules. That would be an organisation equiped with the tools to address suffering and sickness, and be a force to be reckoned with for those who oppress the weak and vulnerable

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

The right wing is amazing in both it's ability to be arrogant and the mental simplicity that drives that arrogance.

Then entire world does not revolve around the United States. Other countries meet and negotiate without the US being involved in any way.

About the only time the UN is in the news is when it fails.

And the single most hilarious thing about right wingers and their complaints? They feel the US doesn't know how to negotiate. But we know there leadership does. Right wing leadership negotiated away millions of jobs to China and in exchange, we receive more than 40,000 closed factories.

Not only that, by carefully holding hostage the unemployment benefits of millions of Americans, they were able to get tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires to "free up" capital so another 1.3 million jobs could be created in China.

How do they do it? They are amazing!

The UN Fails everytime, whens the last time the UN did anything effective? to get things done you need to put some muscle behind your words and those third world countries know the UN is a paper tiger, the UN went into Rwanda and got chased around by African Militias with machetes, because they knew they weren't going to do jackshit. The UN is a joke.

The brutal Dictators of the World need a Global forum to spew their propaganda. I gave up on the UN a long time ago. Once it became a playground for the brutal Dictators of the World to go and spew their hate propaganda,i wrote them off for good. Adolf Hitler would love today's UN. It serves brutal Dictators very well at this point. Today's UN is not what is was supposed to be about. It's probably time to scrap it. They do some things well like feeding & housing people in need but we could create another international organization to do that. The UN's best days are definitely over.

The brutal Dictators of the World need a Global forum to spew their propaganda. I gave up on the UN a long time ago. Once it became a playground for the brutal Dictators of the World to go and spew their hate propaganda,i wrote them off for good. Adolf Hitler would love today's UN. It serves brutal Dictators very well at this point. Today's UN is not what is was supposed to be about. It's probably time to scrap it. They do some things well like feeding & housing people in need but we could create another international organization to do that. The UN's best days are definitely over.

And yet, it was the United States that invaded a Middle Eastern country, killed possibly a hundred thousand people and left behind an entire country enslaved by radical Islam. The most dramatic evidence are woman who dressed American, but now wear "burkas".

And yet, it was the United States that invaded a Middle Eastern country, killed possibly a hundred thousand people and left behind an entire country enslaved by radical Islam. The most dramatic evidence are woman who dressed American, but now wear "burkas".

Yea looks like it was a big mistake. The UN is still inept & corrupt though. This current UN is not what the UN was intended to be. The brutal Dictators of the World love this current UN. It's a playground for them to spew their hate propaganda. Adolf Hitler would thrive in this UN. Probably time to scrap it and either start all over or don't. I just don't have any faith in them anymore.

Yea looks like it was a big mistake. The UN is still inept & corrupt though. This current UN is not what the UN was intended to be. The brutal Dictators of the World love this current UN. It's a playground for them to spew their hate propaganda. Adolf Hitler would thrive in this UN. Probably time to scrap it and either start all over or don't. I just don't have any faith in them anymore.

Depends on your point of view. I don't like radical Islam. I think it's a dirty and dangerous form of government that keeps people enslaved, but the majority of Iraqis like it. We tried to force them to be our version of "free", and the first chance they got, they became like Iran.

The only way America can "lead" is by example.

People wonder why the Republican philosophy disgusts me. They became the very despots they warn against. They are so sure what they want is for "everybody", they have become the very tyrants they fear.

UN Peacekeepers rape children.

Does that sound like an organization that's doing good for the world?

Your article says:

Heather Kerr, Save the Children's Ivory Coast country director, says little is being done to support the victims...

"It's a minority of people but they are using their power to sexually exploit children and children that don't have the voice to report about this.

Clearly it is not the entire UN that sexually exploits children, anymore than any other organization with a few bad apples.

What is interesting to me however, is that in the 6th of the Op Center Series Created by Tom Clancy, "State of Siege" the sexual exploitation of children in 1993 Cambodia by UN personnel is part of the plot.

You can read all about it in the first few pages:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/State-Siege-Tom-Clancys-Op-Center/dp/0425168220/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295117455&sr=1-10#_]Amazon.com: State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, 6) (9780425168226): Tom Clancy, Steve Pieczenik, Jeff Rovin: Books[/ame]

Stop lying those women never "dressed American".

Your article says:

Heather Kerr, Save the Children's Ivory Coast country director, says little is being done to support the victims...

"It's a minority of people but they are using their power to sexually exploit children and children that don't have the voice to report about this.

Clearly it is not the entire UN that sexually exploits children, anymore than any other organization with a few bad apples.

What is interesting to me however, is that in the 6th of the Op Center Series Created by Tom Clancy, "State of Siege" the sexual exploitation of children in 1993 Cambodia by UN personnel is part of the plot.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/State-Siege-Tom-Clancys-Op-Center/dp/0425168220/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295117455&sr=1-10#_]Amazon.com: State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, 6) (9780425168226): Tom Clancy, Steve Pieczenik, Jeff Rovin: Books[/ame]
So what did the UN do about it?

Your article says:

So what did the UN do about it?

Dude, you really need to read the articles you site:

UN spokesman, Nick Birnback, said that it was impossible to ensure "zero incidents" within an organisation that has up to 200,000 personnel serving around the world.

"What we can do is get across a message of zero tolerance, which for us means zero complacency when credible allegations are raised and zero impunity when we find that there has been malfeasance that's occurred,"

Forum List

Back