The tragedy of Vincent van Gogh’s youngest sister Willemien—a feminist who spent 38 years in an asylum

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The book The Van Gogh Sisters, to be published next month, reveals the very different lives of three of Vincent’s siblings: Willemien (Wil), Elisabeth (Lies) and Anna. Written by the Dutch art historian Willem-Jan Verlinden, it will now be available in English.
The Van Gogh family suffered a series of tragedies. Vincent’s brother Theo, who is now remembered as the artist’s staunch supporter, died six months after him, suffering a terrible end with syphilis. Vincent’s youngest brother Cor committed suicide in South Africa during the Boer War—and was the subject of a biography by Chris Schoeman in 2015 called The Unknown Van Gogh. But the three sisters have so far received scant attention from writers, an omission addressed in Verlinden’s study.
Vincent was closest to Wil, his youngest sister. In 1875-76, aged just 13, she spent nine months in Welwyn, a village just north of London, where she learned English and attended a school where her eldest sister Anna was working as an assistant teacher.

I only knew that he had one brother. I didn't know what happened to that brother. So, there is like one out of six that did not have mental health issues.

The book The Van Gogh Sisters, to be published next month, reveals the very different lives of three of Vincent’s siblings: Willemien (Wil), Elisabeth (Lies) and Anna. Written by the Dutch art historian Willem-Jan Verlinden, it will now be available in English.
The Van Gogh family suffered a series of tragedies. Vincent’s brother Theo, who is now remembered as the artist’s staunch supporter, died six months after him, suffering a terrible end with syphilis. Vincent’s youngest brother Cor committed suicide in South Africa during the Boer War—and was the subject of a biography by Chris Schoeman in 2015 called The Unknown Van Gogh. But the three sisters have so far received scant attention from writers, an omission addressed in Verlinden’s study.
Vincent was closest to Wil, his youngest sister. In 1875-76, aged just 13, she spent nine months in Welwyn, a village just north of London, where she learned English and attended a school where her eldest sister Anna was working as an assistant teacher.

I only knew that he had one brother. I didn't know what happened to that brother. So, there is like one out of six that did not have mental health issues.
A very unfortunate gene combo there. Troubled though he was, he was brilliant. Just looking at one of his paintings evokes an immediate emotional response. He could really communicate with his brush.

A very unfortunate gene combo there. Troubled though he was, he was brilliant. Just looking at one of his paintings evokes an immediate emotional response. He could really communicate with his brush.
I agree with that.

1617247257054.png

Forum List

Back