The Station Agent (Capital/Dodgers)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
I was thinking of the special 1992 Duke-Kentucky men's college basketball game the other night as well as my fanfare for the iconic LA Dodgers baseball team as well as my appreciation for the American energy company Chevron and how all these seemingly disparate interests may intersect in modern times in the realm of media...and dollars!

Is American media a thing of depression? I hope you find this thread date-timely!

====

I've been blogging on the Internet for some time, and I think about why I like posting selfies and images taken from the Internet, not for soliciation purposes but for sociological discussions on USMB. My selfies reflect my interest to present myself as a modern social critic and writer and general thinker!

jag16.jpg

Well, I have something on my mind tonight. For this 'analysis' tonight, I'll be adopting the special dialogue 'avatar' called the Black Fairy, maybe a symbol of neo-classical democracy. The Black Fairy represents the values associated with both capitalism and intellectual freedom, which will be important for our analysis tonight. So consider me this Black Fairy (BF) for this post!

fairy1.jpg

BF (Black Fairy): "Isn't it peculiar how we might buy for our kids this first Coronavirus Christmas a symbolic Chevron toy station?"

fairy4.jpg

So, as this Black Fairy, I'm thinking about the iconic 1992 Duke-Kentucky regional final game of the NCAA men's college basketball tournament! That tournament, Duke was looking to win its second consecutive national title, an achievement on a level not really seen in NCAAB since the days of Wooden's UCLA Bruins team. However, Rick Pitino's Kentucky Wildcats were returning about 5 seniors from a 4-year suspension, each looking to vindicate their entire collegiate athletics career with this anticipated matchup against the top-ranked Duke Blue Devils. Such a game certainly draws in lots of attention, and this NCAA regional final game, held in the Spectrum (Philadelphia) was no doubt a media spectacle. I saw the entire game on TV, when I was just in high school (in New Jersey). This game reminded all Americans why college sports is a capitalism and modern media-marketing phenomenon.

fairy2.jpg

So why am I tonight, as the dialogic 'Black Fairy' (BF) citing this iconic/symbolic 1992 Duke-Kentucky game for this pseudo-philosophical discussion about capitalism and democracy in modern times? In my opinion, in this era of TrumpUSA Twitter scandals and media frenzy, our college students today think lots about what kinds of media offerings best capture all the intrigue and drama of neo-classical capitalism and consumerism (and entertainment!). This is the MTV generation, and they want something worthy to celebrate this first indoor Coronavirus Christmas media/consumerism season!

fairy5.jpg

You turn on the TV and notice super-celebrity Tom Cruise throwing the first pitch at an MLB game in the USA, before the Coronavirus quarantine 'experience' began. You realize that modern media was all about the 'aesthetics' and 'presentation' of consumerism-oriented psychology! Why should today's youngsters, studying and playing indoors now through media/tech during the Coronavirus quarantine, care about this sort of media diarism?

fairy6.jpg

Well, I might buy my son a Dodgers Hershiser card, maybe a classic Topps card, online for this first Coronavirus Christmastime shopping season. He might appreciate the valuable and symbolic connections between media, markets, celebrity, personalities, athleticism, and general entertainment. He might want me to download a baseball themed movie like Angels in the Outfield for him on Netflix!

fairy7.jpg

So, that's why I'm thinking about that iconic 1992 Duke-Kentucky game which generated the much-celebrated buzzer-beating shot made by Duke's superstar-center Laettner, who never went on to have a great NBA career, despite boasting a rather cushy contract with the Miami Heat. Laettner's Blue Devils showed TV audiences that year that modern televised collegiate sports in America represented an emergent national interest in using broadcasting to celebrate the idea of 'socially shared' dollars. This of course predated Facebook!

fairy3.jpeg

So, as this dialogic Black Fairy (BF), I intend only to ask the direct question, "Is media in America a thing of...dance...or dollars?" What do you think? What do critics of America think? It's a worthwhile question, right (for this first 'indoor Christmas')?

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

Forum List

Back