The "Serena Slam" ...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
...didn't happen. Thank God.

Is there anyone besides me who is willing to make the observation of what a monster she has been to women's tennis and to women's sports overall?

Her histrionics and pouting over lost points, games, and sets, her manufactured screeching when she hits the ball, her ridiculous hair and (self-designed) outfits, have long been insufferable, but because she is "black," we are supposed to overlook all of that because she is an "American girl-hero" who wins all the time. At least she finally stopped blaming her losses on undefinable injuries and illnesses. I guess one of her handlers finally made her see how unseemly that was.

Do you remember the time when she said, "Well, I played my best today, but today that just wasn't good enough. My opponent played a great match and she deserved to win"? Don't remember that one? Neither does anyone else. She never said it. Even when she does grudgingly say something good about an opponent, it comes across as about as genuine as a Britney Spears smile.

She is the Shaq of women's tennis: she is among the most talented of women's tennis players, but she basically wins all the time because she is bigger and stronger than any other woman who ever played the game. You don't serve the ball 125 mph because you are dedicated, you serve that hard because of God-given strength and size, which - Lord knows - she has in abundance.

Her loss in the U.S. Open semi's was basically the result of a series of hissy-fits when she lost her cool because the insect on the other side of the net had the temerity to return some of her good shots. Two of the four points in the final game were just thrown away because she was trying to hit a winner when there was no real opportunity for it.

She can't retire soon enough. With that enormous ass of hers, maybe she can take up a second career in Sumo - break a few cultural barriers at the same time. Will we ever see another graceful and talented women's champion like Martina (either one), Chrissy, or Steffi? I can't wait.

Serena is all that is left of US Tennis

There used to be over a dozen good US players both men and women who can win on the international circuit. Now, all that is left is Serena

She has always been a pouty brat unwilling to give any credit to her opponent but she is no different than a McEnroe or Jimmy Connors. Talent wise, she is an amazing woman who overpowers her opponent. Kind of like a Mike Tyson in his prime....opponents have lost before they step on the court

The other day, she did not bring her A Game and she lost

Last edited:
Serena is all that is left of US Tennis

There used to be over a dozen good US players both men and women who can win on the international circuit. Now, all that is left is Serena

She has always been a pouty brat unwilling to give any credit to her opponent but she is no different than a McEnroe or Jimmy Connors. Talent wise, she is an amazing woman who overpowers her opponent. Kind of like a Mike Tyson in his prime....opponents have lost before they step on the court

The other day, she did not bring her A Game and she lost

Exactly, there are plenty of jerks in sports to go around! :lol: Not unusual at ALL.

Is there anyone besides me who is willing to make the observation of what a monster she has been to women's tennis and to women's sports overall?

Her histrionics and pouting over lost points, games, and sets, her manufactured screeching when she hits the ball, her ridiculous hair and (self-designed) outfits, have long been insufferable, but because she is "black," we are supposed to overlook all of that because she is an "American girl-hero" who wins all the time. At least she finally stopped blaming her losses on undefinable injuries and illnesses. I guess one of her handlers finally made her see how unseemly that was.

Do you remember the time when she said, "Well, I played my best today, but today that just wasn't good enough. My opponent played a great match and she deserved to win"? Don't remember that one? Neither does anyone else. She never said it. Even when she does grudgingly say something good about an opponent, it comes across as about as genuine as a Britney Spears smile.

She is the Shaq of women's tennis: she is among the most talented of women's tennis players, but she basically wins all the time because she is bigger and stronger than any other woman who ever played the game. You don't serve the ball 125 mph because you are dedicated, you serve that hard because of God-given strength and size, which - Lord knows - she has in abundance.

Her loss in the U.S. Open semi's was basically the result of a series of hissy-fits when she lost her cool because the insect on the other side of the net had the temerity to return some of her good shots. Two of the four points in the final game were just thrown away because she was trying to hit a winner when there was no real opportunity for it.

She can't retire soon enough. With that enormous ass of hers, maybe she can take up a second career in Sumo - break a few cultural barriers at the same time. Will we ever see another graceful and talented women's champion like Martina (either one), Chrissy, or Steffi? I can't wait.
Sounds like you have some issues you need to address.

says the man with 25000 posts

says the man with 25000 posts
Oh man you really showed me :rolleyes:

Hell of a good rant! Didn't know whether to funny or thank it. I haven't watched it since the Seles days, just clips here and there. She always looks angry and dresses like a carnival act. I wonder if they've done a dna test.

129317_story__Serena-Williams-She-Hulk.jpg

There are a lot of tennis players who are jerks. Since it is a one-on-one sport (basically), the psychological tension is overwhelming for some, so they take their frustrations out on the line judges, fans, opponents, whoever.

My point is that Serena is not good for women's tennis. Compare her to Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, or The Joker. These are people who dominated with class. McEnroe and Connors were jerks and did no favors to the sport (at their apex) - just like Serena.

As I said, she can't retire soon enough.

The more interesting philosophical question is, what is it about the development of Venus and Serena that could be exploited to develop future U.S. tennis champions? Their father eschewed the traditional development paradigms (possibly because they were not accessible to a working class Black family), and came out on top. It is frustrating that we do not see more U.S. standouts given the great atmosphere for athletics that we have here in the U.S. We are missing something, but I don't think anyone knows exactly what that is. Perhaps the best development opportunities are limited to kids from relatively wealthy families, which is a miniscule pool of talent.

Personally, I never liked either of the Williams sisters but they are immensely talented

I would have no desire to watch womens tennis if they are not involved. Nobody out there I really care about

No one questions Serena's talent. The minor issue is whether she dominates because of her talent, or because of her God-given size and strength, and whether her dominance is "good for the game."

As a sport to PLAY, tennis is a fabulous sport that involves every aspect of athleticism, including mental toughness. It has the added benefit of being playable, competitively, almost to the grave.

As a SPECTATOR sport, it has suffered in recent years due to the tremendous improvement in the players' groundgames (mainly due to racquet technology and topspin) and the advent of the topspin lob. The serve & volley game of Sampras, McEnroe and others has gone the way of the dodo bird, and matches become marathons of attrition with both players hitting groundstroke after groundstroke, until one of them commits an unforced error. Boring.

No great personalities around either, other than Federer - the classiest champion in a long time.

Forum List

Back