The Sad Misguided Life of George Carlin. He was NOT a genius, and NOT a hero.

As I said in my OP. Carlin reminds me of the troubled kid in junior high who talked out and sassed teachers. Kind of like the Judd Nelson character in Breakfast Club. The weak kids in the class went along with it and laughed.

As I said in my OP. Carlin reminds me of the troubled kid in junior high who talked out and sassed teachers. Kind of like the Judd Nelson character in Breakfast Club. The weak kids in the class went along with it and laughed.

I was the kid who told that kid to shut up.

A 40 year career in comedy, 14 HBO Comedy Specials, 20 albums (2 won Grammys), an award winning writer, and had numerous parts in some major movies. That is hardly the mouthy kid in Junior High.

You want to think his stage persona was actually him. Every person who knew him talked about him being kind and somewhat shy. A perfect example of his kindness was shown when he met a fan of his tv character on Shining Time Station. If Carlin were actually the angry old man you accuse him of being, he wouldn't have taken the time to explain to the young fan that he was on vacation from his job as a conductor.

But your failed attempts to discredit and tear him down, show your character more than it does anything against Geore Carlin's legacy.

Perhaps to see the inherent genius that the rest of the world recognized. But then, accuracy or fair representations have never been your strong suit.
"The rest of the world?" Hardly, speaking of accuracy. But there are a fair number of troubled people who bought this garbage.

"The rest of the world?" Hardly, speaking of accuracy. But there are a fair number of troubled people who bought this garbage.

Yes, the rest of the world. You don't achieve his level of success without people appreciating what you do.

One thing he was not was a hypocrite. But your attacks on him, while decrying his attacks on corruption, big gov't etc, is hypocrisy on a grand scale.

A 40 year career in comedy, 14 HBO Comedy Specials, 20 albums (2 won Grammys), an award winning writer, and had numerous parts in some major movies. That is hardly the mouthy kid in Junior High.

You want to think his stage persona was actually him. Every person who knew him talked about him being kind and somewhat shy. A perfect example of his kindness was shown when he met a fan of his tv character on Shining Time Station. If Carlin were actually the angry old man you accuse him of being, he wouldn't have taken the time to explain to the young fan that he was on vacation from his job as a conductor.

But your failed attempts to discredit and tear him down, show your character more than it does anything against Geore Carlin's legacy.
Right. The real George Carlin was a coked-out drunk. Should we ask Carlin's own daughter if she thought he was a great guy?

Yeah, HBO specials. An unregulated network allowed to show filth. Hugh Hefner was famous too. So was Larry Flynt. In both cases, there is a market of weak troubled customers.

One thing he was not was a hypocrite. But your attacks on him, while decrying his attacks on corruption, big gov't etc, is hypocrisy on a grand scale.
Actually, he was a hypocrite. He claimed to have the right answers when his own life was a disaster.

Yes, the rest of the world. You don't achieve his level of success without people appreciating what you do.
Playboy has a wide following, too. So does online gambling. So does crystal meth. Appealing to weak people doesn't equal greatness.

Right. The real George Carlin was a coked-out drunk. Should we ask Carlin's own daughter if she thought he was a great guy?

Yeah, HBO specials. An unregulated network allowed to show filth. Hugh Hefner was famous too. So was Larry Flynt. In both cases, there is a market of weak troubled customers.

The article you linked was very specific it what it tried to say.

Read this article, by Kelly Carlin: What It Was Like Growing Up With My Father, George Carlin
Here is a bit of it:
"He taught me how to ride a bike, with and without training wheels. He took the time to make sure I was understanding the big things that were going on in culture. I have a vivid memory of him waking me up during the moon landing and making sure that I understood exactly what was happening. I was only five at the time but he wanted me to know that this wasn’t a TV show. This was really happening on the moon. He loved sharing those kinds of moments with me.

This won’t come as a surprise to anyone familiar with his work but as a dad, he really was unafraid of expressing the truth of what was going on in the world. He always was making sure that I understood America’s history and the fact that America didn’t always treat people well. He wanted me to understand the history of oppression of black people, Native Americans, and other disenfranchised communities."

Playboy has a wide following, too. So does online gambling. So does crystal meth. Appealing to weak people doesn't equal greatness.

Playboy has a wide following for a good reason. And that is very different from addiction.

I would submit that religious fundamentalists would fit your comment too.

Playboy has a wide following for a good reason. And that is very different from addiction.

I would submit that religious fundamentalists would fit your comment too.
I always liked the one about being "too Christian". What a goal to aspire to. Loving others too much, doing too much good, etc.

They're not. From a fool comes foolish words. A bad tree cannot yield good fruit.
Like Robin Williams, he always hammered good people who tried to do good, because the bad actions of a few. On other matters, he was flat wrong.

The article you linked was very specific it what it tried to say.

Read this article, by Kelly Carlin: What It Was Like Growing Up With My Father, George Carlin
Here is a bit of it:
"He taught me how to ride a bike, with and without training wheels. He took the time to make sure I was understanding the big things that were going on in culture. I have a vivid memory of him waking me up during the moon landing and making sure that I understood exactly what was happening. I was only five at the time but he wanted me to know that this wasn’t a TV show. This was really happening on the moon. He loved sharing those kinds of moments with me.

This won’t come as a surprise to anyone familiar with his work but as a dad, he really was unafraid of expressing the truth of what was going on in the world. He always was making sure that I understood America’s history and the fact that America didn’t always treat people well. He wanted me to understand the history of oppression of black people, Native Americans, and other disenfranchised communities."
Teaching a kid to ride a bike doesn't make up for years of abandonment and addiction.

Forum List

Back