The Religion of Atheism

You're talking about National Day of Prayer, not "National CHRISTIAN Prayer. There is enough of a difference to be important.

good point, but the end result is your more militant atheists would oppose both.

Militant atheists like Thomas Jefferson, who refused to call for a day of Prayer or Thanksgiving because he believed it to be contrary to the 1st Ammendment?

The panel of the Seventh District dismissed the case on the grounds that the plaintiffs lacked standing. I'm not convinced that was the right call.

However, since a day of Prayer or Thanksgiving goes back to Washington, it's pretty firmly entrenched in US History and precedent. And since the wording fo the Day of Prayer is general in nature and includes the phrase "...to pray, or otherwise give thanks, in accordance with their own faiths or consciences..." it pretty much passes establishment clause muster.

Thomas Jefferson wasn't an atheist. Thanksgiving didn't come along for a good many years after Thomas Jefferson so he didn't get the choice to make.

Thomas Jefferson wasn't an atheist.
That was my sarcasm voice. The claim was that "militant atheists" would object to a day of prayer. Jefferson was not a militant atheist, but he also objected to a day of prayer and refused to follow the precedents of Washington and Adams. So it's not just "militant atheists" that would object.

Thanksgiving didn't come along for a good many years after Thomas Jefferson so he didn't get the choice to make.

George Washington declared a day of Thanksgiving Oct 3, 1789 and again in 1795. Adams declared Thanksgivings in 1798 and 1799. Madison did it in 1814 and twice in 1815. Not sure about the Presidents in between Madison and Lincoln. It wasn't formalized as a holiday with a set day until Lincoln.

Again, to me more agnosticism. If most just shrug religon off, then your viewpoint is poorly represented by those who speak in your name, and piss people off by trying to get mangers taken out of town squares.
i dont want mangers taken out of town squares i just want my flying spagetti monster statue sitting by the side of it ...are you happy with that ?

Does the flying spaghetti monster have a holiday in December?

Also, people put up mangers as a sign of fate. You want the flying spaghetti monster up there as a sign of spite.

Its the spite shown by these lawsuits that piss alot of a people off.
how dare you insinuate my beloved spaghetti monster is full of spite .
how would you feel if i said the same thing about your jesus ,yes he has a holiday every month .he is fun happy relaxed and a truly loving person loves everybody all races ,and creeds including gays so we celebrate him every month with a holiday .
what *fate* does a manger convey to the public ?

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#The_Noodles_Prayer

Last edited:
a govt employee declaring it would be the definition of violation of church state

Not according to the federal court so far,

National Day of Prayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're talking about National Day of Prayer, not "National CHRISTIAN Prayer. There is enough of a difference to be important.
i dont think a national day of prayer /thanksgivin/praising would be opposed by atheists i as one would not if it was a national day of for ALL, praying .chanting ,singingwhatever was not mandated i dont think it would do any harm tolerance would be the key
much like i support 2 min silence at start of official meetings
to each his own

atheist equals thinking adult

sorry, i know that pisses you rightwing so called xtians off, but it is true

You were so close to a rational discussion, then you went back off your meds.

For future reference, QID means "four times per day." Try to stick to it.

Marty, I rarely argue with my 7 yr old grandson, and I wont argue with you, for the same reason

Now, why are you a vile and filthy racist?

just wondering, wish one of you would answer me someday on this

Lets see what we have here..

Unverifiable reference to ones age, purporting to be old enough to be a grandfather. This is to establish experience.

Out of the blue reference to racism, not currently being discussed on the thread in question.

Statement implying this reference to said racism has been made before, thus trying to establish a pattern.

The typical troll tool-kit. Also i noted you turned off your rep, as you are gutless as well.

Wont answer, will you...you can talk or puke all you want, but you are a racist and until you tell me why i cant take you seriously

i dont want mangers taken out of town squares i just want my flying spagetti monster statue sitting by the side of it ...are you happy with that ?

Also, people put up mangers as a sign of fate. You want the flying spaghetti monster up there as a sign of spite.

how would you feel if i said the same thing about your jesus ,yes he has a holiday every month .he is fun happy relaxed and a truly loving person loves everybody all races ,and creeds including gays so we celebrate him every month with a holiday .

Flying Spaghetti Monster - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

I really wouldn't care, havent been to church in years. I unlike some people also do not get butthurt when people type things I dont like to hear, say prayers in public not of my religon, or post religous symbols on public property.

and fate was a typo, most people could gather I meant faith.

Wont answer, will you...you can talk or puke all you want, but you are a racist and until you tell me why i cant take you seriously

ignoring the previous post, and continuing on with the rant. another priceless troll tactic.

I put your age around mid 20's, living in parents basement. Figure horde troll huntard.

I have said this before Marty and I will say it again, $500K to the first guy that makes me 20 again

Now listen up you vile and filthy bigot, I am superior to you even asleep and drunk...that will be all, son

I have said this before Marty and I will say it again, $500K to the first guy that makes me 20 again

Now listen up you vile and filthy bigot, I am superior to you even asleep and drunk...that will be all, son

You think you are typing some internet gold, but all that comes out is

herp derp derp, herp derp herp, herp herp herp derp.

derp.

I really wouldn't care, havent been to church in years. I unlike some people also do not get butthurt when people type things I dont like to hear, say prayers in public not of my religon, or post religous symbols on public property.

didnt catch that as a typo sorry bout that .i make many of them
nice to see you are tolarant ,my answer was not to be taken seriously cant be serious over fictional characters

nice to see you are tolarant ,my answer was not to be taken seriously cant be serious over fictional characters

No worries, Im toying with a troll in this thread, and it makes my trigger finger a little itchy.

Again, to me more agnosticism.

Then you're misunderstanding the terms. Agnosticism has to do with whether we can know for sure if God exists, and is not (as is popularly misconceived) "weak atheism". Agnostics merely say that God's existence can't be proven one way or another. Some atheists are agnostic, some true-believers are agnostic.

Atheism is nothing more than lacking a belief in God.

If most [atheists] just shrug religon off, then your viewpoint is poorly represented by those who speak in your name, and piss people off by trying to get mangers taken out of town squares.

That's fair to say. It's also fair to say that bigoted religious zealots give religions a bad name. But it wouldn't be fair to judge either group by a minority of loudmouth assholes, would it?

It is also worth pointing out that those are the ONLY people that you are going to hear from as far as atheists go. I find it amusing that people just can’t get their head around that little fact. With religions, you are going to hear the good sometimes because they have something to preach. Atheists do not. The VAST majority of atheists have nothing to say on the subject mostly because that is exactly what atheists have; nothing on the subject. Then one or two loudmouths come along that are religious in the extent that they take their nonbelief and the theists point to them and declare we are all religious. It is hogwash.

It is equally interesting that not one single coherent argument has been able to be used here to make atheists religious (and this is not the first time such a thread has been down this road) yet I can almost guarantee that people are going to claim that atheists are religious all over these boards. Starkey is a common offender of this. I do grow ever so tired of idiots trying to label ME with THEIR beliefs. It gets old.

No worries, Im toying with a troll in this thread, and it makes my trigger finger a little itchy.
I dont mess with trolls ignore make them they go away ,im looking for a bonefide discussion with a little bit of humor of course

...With religions, you are going to hear the good sometimes because they have something to preach. Atheists do not.

That's not entirely true. Though, in my experience, in general, atheist aren't nearly as interested in proselytizing as the religious. But there are obvious exceptions. And some of them do focus on the "good" - not just leveling criticisms at religious. There are compelling arguments for rational, materialist moral foundations as well as people advocating for various forms of 'non-religious' spiritual life.

...With religions, you are going to hear the good sometimes because they have something to preach. Atheists do not.

That's not entirely true. Though, in my experience, in general, atheist aren't nearly as interested in proselytizing as the religious. But there are obvious exceptions. And some of them do focus on the "good" - not just leveling criticisms at religious. There are compelling arguments for rational, materialist moral foundations as well as people advocating for various forms of 'non-religious' spiritual life.

That’s what I said though with the rest of my post. There are very few that have something to say on the matter but there are always going to be that few. There are fringe people in all areas of life.

Granted, I DID say that most are shouting the negatives. Do you actually have an example of any of them EVER stating something positive from the standpoint of ‘atheism.’ Usually such conversations that you are referring to have nothing in connection with atheism itself, rather they are based on science and research.

Either way, the Dawkins are far louder than the ‘normal’ individual and they give people a bad name.

Forum List

Back