The Relevance of Feminism Now

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
We still don't have complete pay equity between women and men. We continually struggle to keep reproductive rights for women.

The ERA bombed. What is the relevance of feminism today?

Surely we can't have lost it to Limbaugh's Feminazi Rhetoric.

Are we ready for a woman President?

Discuss.

Pay is determined by market factors, not gender. As long as women continue to opt out of education and choose fields like education and nursing versus medicine and engineering, they will be paid less. Women with college degrees in urban areas earn more than their male peers. Women who want to earn more than men already can.

Feminism is unnecessary at this point in time. The gender war is over. Women won.

Rush Limbaugh has a constitutionally protected right to self-expression, but his opinions are basically irrelevant. No one cares. Women are equal--if they want to be.

• Banned
There continues to be a disproportionately low number of women in politics, we still have gender stereotyping in advertising, rape and domestic violence continue to thrive.

Feminism is still relevant.

Last edited:
There continues to be a disproportionately low number of women in politics, we still have gender stereotyping in advertising, rape and domestic violence continue to thrive.

Maybe we have disproportionately low numbers of women in politics because women are generally too smart to get into the pigpen and play with the pigs.

I don't consider these issues which require a movement to solve. I think your generation of feminists needs to go gently into that good night and retire from service.

Most women no longer relate to your movement, and don't wish to be portrayed as victims of male patriarchy.

Women are still paid less than men FOR THE SAME WORK and the current war on women by the right will keep it that way for a long time to come.

Blacks got the vote before women did and people of any and all color AND women are still considered second class citizens. I don't expect to see a woman president any time soon.

There will always be racists and there will always be people who want to control women's reproduction, birth control and pay.

Will there ever be a time when equal rights for ALL humans, ALL Americans is irrelevant? I don't think so.

On the plus side, there's this -

Arizona's new abortion law blocked by court

Women are still paid less than men FOR THE SAME WORK

There are mechanisms in place to challenge this issue in civil court and win major settlements.

and the current war on women by the right will keep it that way for a long time to come.

The war on women is hyperbole designed to scare women into voting for partisan morons. I don't buy it from either side.

Blacks got the vote before women did and people of any and all color AND women are still considered second class citizens. I don't expect to see a woman president any time soon.

There are any number of women I'd vote for in a presidential election, sadly, most of them are too smart and ethical to run.

There will always be racists and there will always be people who want to control women's reproduction, birth control and pay.

And there will be race hustlers and professional female victims who whine about discrimination versus getting out there and handling their business. The race hustlers and professional victims are only flogging their own relevance, they aren't helping women like me.

• Banned
Women are still paid less than men FOR THE SAME WORK and the current war on women by the right will keep it that way for a long time to come.

Will there ever be a time when equal rights for ALL humans, ALL Americans is irrelevant? I don't think so.

The loss in income for women due to pay inequality adds up to an average of $383,000 over a lifetime. That is $383,000 of lost buying power for almost half the population of the United States; not to mention that (forgive the stereotype) women are major influencers of buying decisions and often big shoppers.
Sanjay Sanghoee: Why Gay Marriage and Women's Rights Are Critical for the Elections

We still don't have complete pay equity between women and men. We continually struggle to keep reproductive rights for women.

Discuss.

Women make just as much, and often more, than men, when one accurately compares salary and performance and experience.

catzmeow
I think your generation of feminists needs to go gently into that good night and retire from service.

My grandmother marched with the suffragettes. She knew Eleanor Roosevelt. They said the same thing to her.

Do you think they should have been obedient little girls and obeyed their wishes?

Women with equal education and experience are paid the same or more for equivalent work as men.

Last edited:

The loss in income for women due to pay inequality adds up to an average of $383,000 over a lifetime. That is $383,000 of lost buying power for almost half the population of the United States; not to mention that (forgive the stereotype) women are major influencers of buying decisions and often big shoppers.
Sanjay Sanghoee: Why Gay Marriage and Women's Rights Are Critical for the Elections

And, its women who get stuck paying for everything for their children if their marriage fails and the children's father chooses to ignore the court ordered child support. Next, we will hear about how the mothers can take their ex to court but look how well that has worked for teepotter Joe Walsh who has said he can't pay because he makes ONLY $100+K a year. He even said he would vote against his kids staying on their mother's health insurance just because it came from the AFFORDABLE Care Act.

I am stunned that anyone could be against equal rights for women. Don't those people have wives? mothers? daughters? (No, I don't mean lushbo. I'm certain he does not have a mother and never has.)

Discuss.

Discuss what? Did you read the description of what this forum is about? You are supposed to make a claim, and back it up. What do reproductive rights have to do with equal pay? Why do you continue to insist that women do not get equal pay when, on the average, they get paid more than men do for the same work? Are companies supposed to pay a woman who is writing software the same thing another company pays a man who spends 8 months of the year on a fishing boat risking his life so people can eat crabs and lobster?

Maybe women don't want to be in politics, why is that my problem?

Women are not paid less than men for the same work. They sometimes are paid less than men for the same job, but men generally are willing to work extra hours, ignore their family, and never take a vacation in order to earn that extra money.

What is so special about women that they get to kill human beings when men do not? How is it equal rights if a man cannot demand that a woman have an abortion if he does not want the burden of a child? Until you can answer those questions you are being dishonest in the way you frame your challenges.

Last edited:

And, its women who get stuck paying for everything for their children if their marriage fails and the children's father chooses to ignore the court ordered child support. Next, we will hear about how the mothers can take their ex to court but look how well that has worked for teepotter Joe Walsh who has said he can't pay because he makes ONLY $100+K a year. He even said he would vote against his kids staying on their mother's health insurance just because it came from the AFFORDABLE Care Act.

I am stunned that anyone could be against equal rights for women. Don't those people have wives? mothers? daughters? (No, I don't mean lushbo. I'm certain he does not have a mother and never has.)

Nobody is against equal rights for women. But some are for special rights for women.

It's Time That We End the Equal Pay Myth - Forbes

Equal rights can NEVER be equal if they are special for a single group.

Those who have an interest in TRUE equal rights, fight for those rights blind to the gender of the person/group for whom they advocate.

Anti-woman women. Amazing. Anti-feminist==opposed to equal rights/pay for women.

What cracks me up are the "former feminists". They remind me of ex-smokers.

"Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating."

Andrea Dworkin

Last edited:

Forum List

Back