The really bothersome this morning that no one is talking about

Geez, get real. What if you were part of the terrorist group and were hiding the bastard,, are the police supposed to get 1000 warrants before trying to find the murderer?

I'm just wondering if there's a legal precedent and if my rights suddenly go out the window because the government says so. I mean ultimately this is one guy and the government fucked up earlier trying to catch him.

The swat team knocks on your door and says they want to search your house for the murderer, do you tell them no? do you let them in? what if the guy had crawled into a basement window and has a bomb that will blow you and your house to tiny pieces?

your theorhetorical is interesting, but kind of dumb.

I wouldn't sweat this argument. You'd never get more than one or two Jurors who would convict the government in this particular scenario.

Why is no one talking the pseudo-martial law that was imposed on Watertown, MA this morning? We all watched on the local feeds as entire innocent families were kicked out of their homes at 6 AM east coast time so fucking swat teams could search their homes inch by inch. I definitely understand the concern by the government and that there's a dangerous terrorist on the loose. However, I'd have extreme trouble letting any government officials into my home... especially a goddamn swat team who's going to tear my place apart. Imagine them accidently stumbling on someone with a closet grow op or a basement hydroponic setup. :eek:

What say you USMB?

never let a good crisis go to waste

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6TgitlNIA]Rahm Emanuel Says Never Let A Good Crisis Go To Waste - YouTube[/ame]

The key here is the government is not in "hot pursuit". They are systematically entering & searching everyone's home by force. They are also forcing people to remain in their home like they are being detained. They have no idea if the suspect is even in the city. This is a mockery of the Constitution. They are training citizens to comply with their orders no matter how illegal they are.
Exactly!

Thank you!

Government illegally searched every home & business in their target area & did not find any terrorist. But they sure arrested a lot of citizens for not complying with government orders that violated their civil rights.

The only positive here as far as I know is the police have not killed more innocent people than the terrorist. Unlike the Chris Dorner man hunt when they shot 3 innocent. But they have arrested a lot of innocent for not following commands.

So if someone comes into your house and holds you and or your family hostage you should expect the police to get warrant to come in your house to help you. Really?
Christ, think past your ignorance.

The thing is though it just seemed retarded. I mean at about 6 AM, a good couple of hours after anything happened or the last confirmed contact of the suspect we see the authorities just start kicking in doors one by one because it looked like they ran out of ideas and were trying to do something for the cameras to not look stupid. I wouldn't want some goddamn goons going through my house to try to save face because one man beat 9,000 cops.

You have a good point but I imagine the searches were done by consent and nobody "tore the place up". The interesting thing is that the swat teams probably walked right past the guy when they checked the boat the first time so they weren't as thorough as they thought they were.

I understand what you are saying and I would agree that if the cops forced their way into a home without a warrant and without permission, there is a massive problem there.

One thing is for certain, if they did find a grow operation, they couldn't do anything except take the weed.

I don't believe they can take anything they weren't specifically looking for, so if you didn't have a Chechnyan bomber in your home, you didn't have anything to worry about.

Ok so you're afraid of the government invading you house and seeing dope? REally that's what you take out of this? This is what I cant stand about dope heads.......dope is not real high on the priority list man.....

I hate big government period.....and now with them barging in....I guess it's cool for you as long as they just take the 30 shot magazines....oh wait democrats think they get used up when shooting them.......

Never miss an opportunity, eh?

So if someone comes into your house and holds you and or your family hostage you should expect the police to get warrant to come in your house to help you. Really?
Christ, think past your ignorance.

The thing is though it just seemed retarded. I mean at about 6 AM, a good couple of hours after anything happened or the last confirmed contact of the suspect we see the authorities just start kicking in doors one by one because it looked like they ran out of ideas and were trying to do something for the cameras to not look stupid. I wouldn't want some goddamn goons going through my house to try to save face because one man beat 9,000 cops.

That's an entirely different situation.

This is my problem The Constitution says that they Government needs a warrant to enter my house. No exceptions are made in it and I don't make many either.

I no more support this door to door search than I would support lining up every person in a neighborhood for DNA checks or searching every car on the highway.

If they want to search, I want to see a warrant. Be it for drugs, muslim terrorists, KKK, Neo-Nazis, a rapist, or a bank robber.

I won't surrender my rights easily or without a fight.

It seems you loose. The good people of Watertown cheered and applauded what the police and FBI did for them.
Nice try Loser.

I'm just wondering if there's a legal precedent and if my rights suddenly go out the window because the government says so. I mean ultimately this is one guy and the government fucked up earlier trying to catch him.

The swat team knocks on your door and says they want to search your house for the murderer, do you tell them no? do you let them in? what if the guy had crawled into a basement window and has a bomb that will blow you and your house to tiny pieces?

your theorhetorical is interesting, but kind of dumb.

I wouldn't sweat this argument. You'd never get more than one or two Jurors who would convict the government in this particular scenario.

First of all we need a link to the story and statements made by those forced out.

Second, without a warrant anything they find is no admissiable in court.

Third, if they did this at all it seems strange to me. Say they knock on the door at 6 am. A sleepy man comes to the door and they ask him if they have seen the man they are looking for. They collect all the family members and they all say no, why then search the house? Of course he could be in the house somewhere and the family not know it but that would be unlikely. Since they were only lucky to find him, outside the parameter I would agree a house to house search kicking people out of their house would be a little bit of a waste of time. That is if it even happened.

And you believe that obscure and irrelevant contingency calls for ignoring the intention of the Bill of Rights?

Why is no one talking the pseudo-martial law that was imposed on Watertown, MA this morning? We all watched on the local feeds as entire innocent families were kicked out of their homes at 6 AM east coast time so fucking swat teams could search their homes inch by inch. I definitely understand the concern by the government and that there's a dangerous terrorist on the loose. However, I'd have extreme trouble letting any government officials into my home... especially a goddamn swat team who's going to tear my place apart. Imagine them accidently stumbling on someone with a closet grow op or a basement hydroponic setup. :eek:

What say you USMB?

(My bold)

Army National Guard units were out in the streets, in uniform & full gear. That says to me that the governor declared an emergency, requiring the National Guard. & yah, that probably constitutes martial law - curfew, armed & uniformed police, state police, ANG going house-to-house. Civilians restricted to home, travel bans.

With three people dead, 175+ in various degrees of injury from projectile & shrapnel amputations to less serious - I would have declared martial law. Bring in the suspects, hopefully alive - & sort out the legal niceties later.

I think the state did a fine job, given that no one expected this kind of violence. Special credit to the image processing crews & analysts, they must have burned through coffee & pizzas right through from the Marathon to the capture.

> [Rear echelon desk jockies] worked hours of paid overtime enduring unimaginable hardships doing their jobs during the crisis!

Oh, the humanity!

Next we'll find out government workers' coffee during the seige wasn't always their preferred brands.

Last edited:
Wow I thought the law enforcement people walked into peoples homes and took a look around.
Now it seems like they broke down doors threw people to the ground threw the baby out of the crib
kicked the dog that got in their way and took a poop in the cat's litter box.

Are they also complaining that because their cell phone service was down for a few hours they could not text message their friends.

Wow I thought the law enforcement people walked into peoples homes and took a look around.
Now it seems like they broke down doors threw people to the ground threw the baby out of the crib
kicked the dog that got in their way and took a poop in the cat's litter box.

Are they also complaining that because their cell phone service was down for a few hours they could not text message their friends.

It is a bit of a conundrum though. The perpetrator could be hiding anywhere and in fact be holding a family hostage. Would you refuse to let the police in under such circumstances? I wouldn't even if the laundry piled in the floor or an untidy bathroom, etc. would be an embarassment.

But if I say no, do the police have to respect that when they have reason to believe the perpetrator is hiding somewhere in my neighborhood? Is it unlawful search when a dangerous terrorist could be putting the neighborhood at high risk? Then again, could the police not use 'the possibility of a dangerous situation' to actually commit unlawful search and seizure? Where do you draw the line?

I am unaware of any cases that homeowners refused the police entry and the police entered anyway. But maybe if there were such cases, the police could have a judge on standby to issue a search warrant?
Definitely a gray area for sure, but in this case, I think the Watertown folks were grateful for the police efforts.

Forum List

Back