Zone1 The REAL REPARATIONS story that is rarely told, for obvious reasons.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
While '40 acres and a mule' never happened, Freed Black slaves were able to acquire millions of acres of farmland, largely through claims filed under the Homestead Act. In fact, Black land ownership peaked in 1910 at nearly 19 MILLION ACRES. Don't let anyone tell you that remote descendants of slaves are owed reparations because any freed slave who wanted land got it either through the Homestead Act, sharecropping, or some other means. It is true that Black land ownership dropped by 90% over the next few decades for a variety of reasons, but that is irrelevant to the fact that those DIRECTLY AFFECTED BY SLAVERY got reparations that exceeded 40 acres and a mule. This is one of the few fair minded research articles on the subject that I was able to find.

While '40 acres and a mule' never happened, Freed Black slaves were able to acquire millions of acres of farmland, largely through claims filed under the Homestead Act. In fact, Black land ownership peaked in 1910 at nearly 19 MILLION ACRES. Don't let anyone tell you that remote descendants of slaves are owed reparations because any freed slave who wanted land got it either through the Homestead Act, sharecropping, or some other means. It is true that Black land ownership dropped by 90% over the next few decades for a variety of reasons, but that is irrelevant to the fact that those DIRECTLY AFFECTED BY SLAVERY got reparations that exceeded 40 acres and a mule. This is one of the few fair minded research articles on the subject that I was able to find.

Whatever. I do not and will not favor reparations for slavery that ended in 1865 to be paid to any decedents of slaves in 2023 or any time in the future.

hile '40 acres and a mule' never happened, Freed Black slaves were able to acquire millions of acres of farmland, largely through claims filed under the Homestead Act. In fact, Black land ownership peaked in 1910 at nearly 19 MILLION ACRES. Don't let anyone tell you that remote descendants of slaves are owed reparations because any freed slave who wanted land got it either through the Homestead Act, sharecropping, or some other means. It is true that Black land ownership dropped by 90% over the next few decades for a variety of reasons, but that is irrelevant to the fact that those DIRECTLY AFFECTED BY SLAVERY got reparations that exceeded 40 acres and a mule. This is one of the few fair minded research articles on the subject that I was able to find.

There are 893.4 MILLION Acres of farmland in the US. So you think giving black people 2% of the farmland and quickly grabbing that back from them was a solution?

Sharecropping was just a way to put black people in debt, it wasn't really doing them any favors. Sure, I'll loan you the money to run your farm that will never allow you to pay it back. It was effectively a form of debt peonage.

When blacks started to migrate north to get those new better paying industrial jobs, white southerners made it a crime for black people to walk along the railroad tracks.

Whatever. I do not and will not favor reparations for slavery that ended in 1865 to be paid to any decedents of slaves in 2023 or any time in the future.
Precedents have been set as other groups who have been harmed by the government have received reparations. As for the tired worn out excuse of “why should I pay for something I did not do,” here is an example of reparations made in modern times for things done by past generations.

I am quite sure no one living in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government made the Fort Laramie treaty with the Sioux Nation or were participants in Custers violation of that treaty. Nor were they alive when President Grant decided it was OK to let settlers and people prospecting for gold tresspass into land promised to the Sioux thereby violating the treaty. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to take the land from the Sioux by military force. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to cut off supplies they promised the Sioux as condition for their surrender after whipping the U.S. Army at The Battle of Little Bighorn. But in 1980, the government of the United States decided reparations were due to the Sioux Nation for what was done to them in the 1800’s. They awarded the Sioux nation 105 million dollars..

O.K.? Maybe it's time that stale argument ended. Because reparations aren't just for slavery. But this is the disingenuous argument used as opposition.

Text: H.R.40 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)​

(5) following the abolition of slavery the United States Government, at the Federal, State, and local level, continued to perpetuate, condone and often profit from practices that continued to brutalize and disadvantage African Americans, including share cropping, convict leasing, Jim Crow, redlining, unequal education, and disproportionate treatment at the hands of the criminal justice system; and

(6) as a result of the historic and continued discrimination, African Americans continue to suffer debilitating economic, educational, and health hardships including but not limited to having nearly 1,000,000 Black people incarcerated; an unemployment rate more than twice the current White unemployment rate; and an average of less than 1⁄16 of the wealth of White families, a disparity which has worsened, not improved over time.

(b) Duties.—The Commission shall perform the following duties:

Identify, compile and synthesize the relevant corpus of evidentiary documentation of the institution of slavery which existed within the United States and the colonies that became the United States from 1619 through 1865. The Commission’s documentation and examination shall include but not be limited to the facts related to—

The Federal and State laws that discriminated against formerly enslaved Africans and their descendants who were deemed United States citizens from 1868 to the present.

Precedents have been set as other groups who have been harmed by the government have received reparations. As for the tired worn out excuse of “why should I pay for something I did not do,” here is an example of reparations made in modern times for things done by past generations.

I am quite sure no one living in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government made the Fort Laramie treaty with the Sioux Nation or were participants in Custers violation of that treaty. Nor were they alive when President Grant decided it was OK to let settlers and people prospecting for gold tresspass into land promised to the Sioux thereby violating the treaty. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to take the land from the Sioux by military force. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to cut off supplies they promised the Sioux as condition for their surrender after whipping the U.S. Army at The Battle of Little Bighorn. But in 1980, the government of the United States decided reparations were due to the Sioux Nation for what was done to them in the 1800’s. They awarded the Sioux nation 105 million dollars..

O.K.? Maybe it's time that stale argument ended. Because reparations aren't just for slavery. But this is the disingenuous argument used as opposition.

(5) following the abolition of slavery the United States Government, at the Federal, State, and local level, continued to perpetuate, condone and often profit from practices that continued to brutalize and disadvantage African Americans, including share cropping, convict leasing, Jim Crow, redlining, unequal education, and disproportionate treatment at the hands of the criminal justice system; and

(6) as a result of the historic and continued discrimination, African Americans continue to suffer debilitating economic, educational, and health hardships including but not limited to having nearly 1,000,000 Black people incarcerated; an unemployment rate more than twice the current White unemployment rate; and an average of less than 1⁄16 of the wealth of White families, a disparity which has worsened, not improved over time.

Identify, compile and synthesize the relevant corpus of evidentiary documentation of the institution of slavery which existed within the United States and the colonies that became the United States from 1619 through 1865. The Commission’s documentation and examination shall include but not be limited to the facts related to—

The Federal and State laws that discriminated against formerly enslaved Africans and their descendants who were deemed United States citizens from 1868 to the present.

The last living slave died in 1970. Reparations were made to those who were enslaved and their kids. End of story, Demanding reparations now is demeaning to Black people. Have some pride and stop begging.

160 acres of free land per freed slave is reparations. That is how freed Black slaves and their kids came to own 19 million acres of land by 1910. Feel free to read the research paper I found on Black Homesteading. It was hard to find.

And it is also kind of misleading, because most of that was sharecropping where they really didn't own the land and were often legally bound to it. There's a reason why many of them abandoned those farms when industrialization became a thing and they all migrated north to take industrial jobs that paid better.

160 acres of free land per freed slave is reparations. That is how freed Black slaves and their kids came to own 19 million acres of land by 1910. Feel free to read the research paper I found on Black Homesteading. It was hard to find.
The Homestead Act was open to everyone. That isn’t reparations.

The last living slave died in 1970. Reparations were made to those who were enslaved and their kids. End of story, Demanding reparations now is demeaning to Black people. Have some pride and stop begging.
Jim Crowe ended when?

Your people profited at the expense of black people. You need to acknowledge that and make it right.
My people were farmers and there is nothing to show they benefitted from slavery.
There is nothing for me to make right. Get your money from the tribe that sold your ancestor into slavery for being from the losing tribe. Your biggest problem is in Africa, if you can even trace your lineage back that far.

You know damn well when I say your people I’m talking about white people, not your family.
You know darn well, if my family did not incur the debt, you know, I won't volunteer to pay it, and would naturally be against the supposed tab being picked up by my taxes, which I have always paid without fail. Most people are like me. I am sorry you have had such a hard shitty life, and now want a helping hand, but I do not owe to you, and neither to the majority of Americans. Seek reparations from the tribes that sold your ancestor into slavery, not me. Take your silly ass grievance back across the water to collect where it originated, and good luck to you.

You know darn well, if my family did not incur the debt, you know, I won't volunteer to pay it, and would naturally be against the supposed tab being picked up by my taxes, which I have always paid without fail. Most people are like me. I am sorry you have had such a hard shitty life, and now want a helping hand, but I do not owe to you, and neither to the majority of Americans. Seek reparations from the tribes that sold your ancestor into slavery, not me. Take your silly ass grievance back across the water to collect where it originated, and good luck to you.
I don’t need or want your wishes of good luck.
Just because I stand up for black people doesn’t make me one. I’m not black. I also did not have a shitty life. I am experiencing a great life. I am the modern day Jesse Ed Davis around here.
As far as reparations go, what I want is for government to do 2 things.
1. Leave ICWA the fuck alone.
2. Leave the Natives who live on reservations the fuck alone. Quit trying to eliminate our culture.
Do you have a problem with that?

I don’t need or want your wishes of good luck.
Just because I stand up for black people doesn’t make me one. I’m not black. I also did not have a shitty life. I am experiencing a great life. I am the modern day Jesse Ed Davis around here.
As far as reparations go, what I want is for government to do 2 things.
1. Leave ICWA the fuck alone.
2. Leave the Natives who live on reservations the fuck alone. Quit trying to eliminate our culture.
Do you have a problem with that?
Sounds like you are a talented guy. I cannot imagine why you would be carrying guilt over the decedents of slaves or people that say they are the decedents of slaves, that you think I should be paying them or anybody else reparations. If you made it, they can too.

1. I approve of leaving ICWA the fuck alone.
3. I approve of leaving the Natives who live on reservations the fuck alone. I do not think your historic and in some cases "ancient" culture and cultural heritage should be eliminated, more than modern tribal business practices are doing. Likewise, I have no problem with leaving anybody alone, and indeed I understand and admire anybody or group that simply wishes to be left alone. I assure you, I am at peace with you and your people, though not many live here in West Tennessee.
Here is a pic from the front garden of my home, a sign, if you will, on the front of my own lodge, that has been there many years.
1686575959736.png

I don't suppose you were ever an Elton John fan, were you?

Sounds like you are a talented guy. I cannot imagine why you would be carrying guilt over the decedents of slaves or people that say they are the decedents of slaves, that you think I should be paying them or anybody else reparations. If you made it, they can too.
I carry no guilt. I stand for black people because it’s the right thing to do. Matter of fact it is the way of my culture. I won’t be silenced until all people are treated equally. Colonizers( those who have the colonizer mindset) don’t get this but they will.

Henry Louis Gates

And it is also kind of misleading, because most of that was sharecropping where they really didn't own the land and were often legally bound to it. There's a reason why many of them abandoned those farms when industrialization became a thing and they all migrated north to take industrial jobs that paid better.
It is impossible to know the percentages, but what is undeniable is freed Black slaves and their kids acquired 19 MILLION ACRES OF LAND in the 40 years following the Civil War. That was not by sharecropping, that was land ownership most of that was gifted through the Homestead Act.

The Blacks gave up the land they were given to move up north to live in shitholes like Detroit.

When they got there they voted in Democrats that promised them everything and delivered nothing but poverty and corruption and that is how the big cities became shitholes.

Forum List

Back