The ranchers in Oregon are actually victims of malicious prosecution by the feds….they have a case..

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I heard about this article on the Dan and Amy show this morning…..the federal government has attacked these 2 ranchers without real cause……..whatever the response of the guys taking over empty government buildings…these 2 ranchers have actually been wronged…

The Case for Civil Disobedience in Oregon, by David French, National Review

The prosecution of the Hammonds revolved mainly around two burns, one in 2001 and another in 2006. The government alleged that the first was ignited to cover up evidence of poaching and placed a teenager in danger. The Hammonds claimed that they started it to clear an invasive species, as is their legal right. Whatever its intent, the fire spread from the Hammonds’ property and ultimately ignited 139 acres of public land. But the trial judge found that the teenager’s testimony was tainted by age and bias and that the fire had merely damaged “juniper trees and sagebrush” — damage that “might” total $100 in value.

The other burn was trifling. Here’s how the Ninth Circuit described it: In August 2006, a lightning storm kindled several fires near where the Hammonds grew their winter feed. Steven responded by attempting back burns near the boundary of his land. Although a burn ban was in effect, Steven did not seek a waiver.

His fires burned about an acre of public land. In 2010 — almost nine years after the 2001 burn — the government filed a 19-count indictment against the Hammonds that included charges under the Federal Anti-terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, which mandates a five-year prison term for anyone who “maliciously damages or destroys, or attempts to damage or destroy, by means of fire or an explosive, any building, vehicle, or other personal or real property in whole or in part owned or possessed by, or leased to, the United States.”

At trial, the jury found the Hammonds guilty of maliciously setting fire to public property worth less than $1,000, acquitted them of other charges, and deadlocked on the government’s conspiracy claims. While the jury continued to deliberate, the Hammonds and the prosecution reached a plea agreement in which the Hammonds agreed to waive their appeal rights and accept the jury’s verdict.

It was their understanding that the plea agreement would end the case. At sentencing, the trial court refused to apply the mandatory-minimum sentence, holding that five years in prison would be “grossly disproportionate to the severity of the offenses” and that the Hammonds’ fires “could not have been conduct intended [to be covered] under” the Anti-terrorism act: When you say, you know, what if you burn sagebrush in the suburbs of Los Angeles where there are houses up those ravines? Might apply.

Out in the wilderness here, I don’t think that’s what the Congress intended. And in addition, it just would not be — would not meet any idea I have of justice, proportionality. . . . It would be a sentence which would shock the conscience to me. Thus, he found that the mandatory-minimum sentence would — under the facts of this case — violate the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against “cruel and unusual punishment.” He sentenced Steven Hammond to two concurrent prison terms of twelve months and one day and Dwight Hammond to one prison term of three months. The Hammonds served their sentences without incident or controversy.

Read more at: The Case for Civil Disobedience in Oregon, by David French, National Review

of course they have a case. but some of the brainwashed will take the governments side over WE THE PEOPLE

And you can tell by the 0.00 persons who post here that have joined their "fight" that they really do have a case....a case of delusional grandeur, a case of never having grown up, and of course several cases of beer which has killed key brain cells.

so they didn't burn federal lands?
I know 3 people in my neighborhood that accidentally burned federal land, and it was thousands of acres, not a hundred; and not one of em went to prison.
... but then, the blm around here didn't have a secret agenda to take their land either.

The group is asking for "their" land back from the federal government. It no longer seems to have anything to do with the incarcerated ranchers, who have disavowed any connection to the occupiers. At least, that's the last I heard.

I know 3 people in my neighborhood that accidentally burned federal land, and it was thousands of acres, not a hundred; and not one of em went to prison.
... but then, the blm around here didn't have a secret agenda to take their land either.

Really? Their names please....surely if they burned 2,000 acres of land it made the news. I'd like to do research.

And here comes the excuses....

Its not their land.

They're welfare ranchers. They already get tax subsidies but they want tax payers to pay their entire grazing bill.

As for the Hammonds, they confessed and were convicted of arson. Why should they get a walk?

Its not their land.

They're welfare ranchers. They already get tax subsidies but they want tax payers to pay their entire grazing bill.

As for the Hammonds, they confessed and were convicted of arson. Why should they get a walk?

They burned back brush which is what the BLM has done many times which has bled over into those that actually OWN their property...you are a blithering idiot....seriously. Fuck the federal "gubermint". I hate and despise them with a fervor that can't be measured on any scale.

If anyone "gets their land back", it ought to be the Northern Paiute tribe.

The Hammonds are a victim of the mandatory sentencing law craze of the 1990s.The 1996 law they're getting hit with was passed for the purpose of giving ecoterrorists long prison sentences if they engaged in arson. It's a bad law, it needs to go away, and it's good to protest it, but it is the law.

Its not their land.

Nice to see someone who actually gets the welfare ranching thing. So many people are oblivious to that scam its ridiculous.

Most of the 45 welfare ranching programs benefit some ranchers in some way, at least in the midwest where they tend to concentrate the efforts but only about 25000 directly benefit from fed grazing permits. Which is where this Bundy character steps into the picture. I'm not sure he had a grazing permit but he didn't pay for grazing his herd on public land whether he did or not. Which amounts to stealing public land for a private enterprise. Destruction of public land. So on.

I say hang him from the highest yard arm.

These ranchers are victims of nobody, they are the most entitled group of beggars you'd ever want to meet and for some twisted reason they insist they are fighting for their freedom when they receive by far the most gov subsidies of any industry.

Here's the question of the day

How much of the 900 billion dollar farm bill directly benefits welfare ranching ?

Its not their land.

Nice to see someone who actually gets the welfare ranching thing. So many people are oblivious to that scam its ridiculous.

Most of the 45 welfare ranching programs benefit some ranchers in some way, at least in the midwest where they tend to concentrate the efforts but only about 25000 directly benefit from fed grazing permits. Which is where this Bundy character steps into the picture. I'm not sure he had a grazing permit but he didn't pay for grazing his herd on public land whether he did or not. Which amounts to stealing public land for a private enterprise. Destruction of public land. So on.

I say hang him from the highest yard arm.

These ranchers are victims of nobody, they are the most entitled group of beggars you'd ever want to meet and for some twisted reason they insist they are fighting for their freedom when they receive by far the most gov subsidies of any industry.

Here's the question of the day

How much of the 900 billion dollar farm bill directly benefits welfare ranching ?
Seriously, you are a blithering idiot and in ways that would take me a long time to explain...you must be yet another ass kisser of the federal "gubermint" thqat has no clue about then BLM and the land grabbing scam that it is.

The concern I have is if they were poaching and burned the property to cover their tracks.
How drastic must the poaching laws be to warrant such a drastic response? Good lord.
Poaching is a punishable crime, and I wish they would have life in prison for taking a life of a beautiful animal so inhumanly

Fish & Wildlife Division asks for the public's help for information to identify the person(s) responsible for the unlawful killing of three black tail bucks on Lake Creek Road in Eagle Point in Jackson County. A reward of up to $5,250 is being offered through two sources for information leading to an arrest and conviction in this case. The Humane Society of United States (HSUS) and The Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust (HSW LT) are offering $5,000 and the Turn in Poachers (TIP) Program, administered by the Oregon Hunters Association, is offering an additional $250. Trooper Josh Nugent is investigating the discovery of three black tail bucks disposed of on Lake Creek Road near milepost 4. One of the bucks had his head cut off and the hind quarters and the rest was left to waste. The other two bucks had their skull caps cut off and the rest was left to waste. The rate of decomposition suggests they might have been killed around the first week of September. Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact Trooper Nugent at (541) 727-8055, or the Turn in Poachers (TIP) hotline at 1-800-452-7888. Information may be kept anonymous. The HSUS and HSWLT work with state and federal wildlife agencies to offer rewards of $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of suspected poachers. Questions regarding The Humane Society of the United States rewards program should be directed to Kaitlin Sanderson at (240) 672-8397 or [email protected].

When they win their wrongful imprisonment case, how much do you think they will get in damages? $1,000,000 each? $2,000,000 each?

Forum List

Back