The Questionable Advantages of a 4WD Truck

Yeah..
I miss my old 98 Tacoma. Had the factory blower and a shit load of mods.
Was just to the point of doing the solid axle swap when we bought our first weekend place so I put it on the back burner and then ended up selling it.
The dude at the dealership asked if the previous owner was handicapped.
I looked at him kinda funny and realized he was referring to the hand throttle on the shifter.
Had to explain to him that on steep hills and questionable positions you wanted to be able to keep one foot on the brake and the other on the clutch.

Cool. Wifes ride 2001 Tundra 4x4 with the Lexus engine. Very reliable truck. However if your sitting in 12" snow, put it in 4x4 it's not in. How many times I dragged her out. Once locked, fine. I like manual locking hubs!

Yours sounds very cool, prob had locking warns, throttle on the shifter. Neat.

I put Ox lockers in mine. Then only problem with those is the shitty telflex cable used to lock and unlock so I modified mine with diamond actuators so now I have electric lockers that lock and unlock at the touch of a button. I had a toyota e Locke but that axle was busting side gears really regular. I finally got tired enough to throw it away and put a Currie made Dana 60 rock jock in the rear. That aint gonna break under my little truck. Now I have high opinion axles front and rear so the drive shafts are both up outta the rocks too.

My 2003 1 ton F350 Ford still has hubs you gotta get out an lock. Lock them, you're in 4x4 immediately. Not this vaccumn shit, cables, back up to get out, drive 200 feet to get in 4x4. If you think you need 4x4 it's usually too late, unless you ran it fulltime like I had to for 6 months.

Yeah,the manual locking hubs definitely have their advantages as far as durability goes.
But then my FJ was push button and never had a problem with it.
And it locked in almost immediately,usually in one rotation of the tires.

Yeah..
Was just to the point of doing the solid axle swap when we bought our first weekend place so I put it on the back burner and then ended up selling it.
I looked at him kinda funny and realized he was referring to the hand throttle on the shifter.
Had to explain to him that on steep hills and questionable positions you wanted to be able to keep one foot on the brake and the other on the clutch.

Cool. Wifes ride 2001 Tundra 4x4 with the Lexus engine. Very reliable truck. However if your sitting in 12" snow, put it in 4x4 it's not in. How many times I dragged her out. Once locked, fine. I like manual locking hubs!

Yeah it did. And those mofos were hard as hell to turn!!!
Being a machinist I made a hub wrench. It was a simple knurled 3 inch diameter turned down to around two inches with a slot cut in the face. Made turning the hub locks a breeze.
Of course all my off roading buddies saw it and asked where I bought it.....I told em I could make em one for forty bucks.
Sold several hundred of the things.

Yeah..

Loved the FJ and beat the shit out of it but towing with it sucked.
I've got a 16 Tundra now thats lifted 5 inches with 35's.
Had to re gear it because it hunted for gears and 6th gear was a memory.
I dont wheel it though unless I'm going down the beach or hauling the SxS down the logging roads to the fish camp.
I actually care about the paint on the damn thing. :auiqs.jpg:
93F8A657-8C9E-49DC-AA39-463BD0345E65.jpeg

Yea if you don’t need it, don’t bother with it.
Tires and traction control make such a huge difference, even if you are going on dirt trails you don’t need 4x4.

You're in AZ, fuking desert, dry, flat. Try KY, Maine, Wa state and many others.
That pic of mine above is on a trail called Axle Alley out east of Phoenix. I guess you can guess why it's called axle alley but if you can't its because so many axles have been broken on it. It's also great at slicing heavy duty off road tires into ribbons. Of course it's way more fun at night.

It just depends on the driver. My little old front wheel drive caviler station wagon used to blow away 4wd Jeep's in the snow.

How did that "experienced driver" do in 12-18 inches unplowed snow like Northern Maine gets frequently. Most of you never seen REAL snow. I got 13-20 feet snow a year, it didn't melt till late May June.
Follow a snow plow, drive 5mph, open my door and feel the pavement with my left foot.

Did it before in the middle of the night : northern Wisconsin

I haven't owned a truck without 4 wheel drive since 98.
I have never had to fix a 4 wheel drive system.... ever.
Of course I drive Toyotas so thats no surprise.
It all depends on whether you need it our not....I need it.
Even the Wife drives a 4x4 for those times she wants to meet me up at camp.
Try to drive sixty miles down Padre National Seashore without it....you wouldnt make it two miles.
Try driving the logging roads to the fish camp after the logging trucks have been through...forget it.
It's all about what your doing with your vehicle.

Oh...and ya cant forget the fun side of having a 4x4.
View attachment 333675
I just knew somebody was gonna so here we go.

View attachment 333764

That last pic got me Mr January in the All Pro Calendar in 2007.
I've always been fearless when it comes to offroading.
I gave up hard core wheeling around 2014 because I was sick of the cost.
Bought one of these because it was easy to drag home on the trailer and it was about the same price to fix.
View attachment 333769

That's cool. Love the orange.

I got here we go again to bleed Clemson orange.

:)

People also think you need to have all wheel drive for snowy areas. For city driving you don’t, you just need dedicated snow tires, they make all the difference in the world.

Ever live in northern Maine? (2 hrs from Quebec) No 4x4 you aren't going anywhere. Garunteed.

Another thing OP didn't cover was CLEARANCE. These little 2wd shits with "snow tires" get lifted up in 6" unplowed snow and tires don't touch. I have seen 6" plus an hour, plow trucks can't keep up.

I have driven thru 18" snow, up hill. (F350 1 ton 4x4) Try that with your city 2wd and "dedicated snows".

We aren't even talking off road, hunt, fish, camp other than a park in NJ like you slickers, forget it. Ever try to cross or run a stream in 2wd? Good luck, you're now a boat, floating.
Well duh, if you’re in snow like that, then yes get a 4x4. Most people don’t need it though.

I put Ox lockers in mine. Then only problem with those is the shitty telflex cable used to lock and unlock so I modified mine with diamond actuators so now I have electric lockers that lock and unlock at the touch of a button. I had a toyota e Locke but that axle was busting side gears really regular. I finally got tired enough to throw it away and put a Currie made Dana 60 rock jock in the rear. That aint gonna break under my little truck. Now I have high opinion axles front and rear so the drive shafts are both up outta the rocks too.

My 2003 1 ton F350 Ford still has hubs you gotta get out an lock. Lock them, you're in 4x4 immediately. Not this vaccumn shit, cables, back up to get out, drive 200 feet to get in 4x4. If you think you need 4x4 it's usually too late, unless you ran it fulltime like I had to for 6 months.

Yeah,the manual locking hubs definitely have their advantages as far as durability goes.
Sounds to me like you had a Cruser and not an FJ. FJ Landcrusers went out of production sometime around 78 I think. Then Toyota came out with the Cruser in 2005 or 6 maybe. With IFS axels it was IMHO nothing like a FJ and more of a soccer mom mobile. I watched a real knucklehead take a brand spanking new Cruser from the lot to the Rubicon trail and destroy it. He had NO clue. A shithead from the word go. I mean that thing was junk by the time it was dragged and beat all the way down that trail. It was just sio much scrap. Let's just say it wasn't what they call trail rated. LOL Actually there isn't really anything that's really ready to go off the lot these days ergo the saying that real rigs are built not bought. You're gonna have to either pay someone a whole bunch of money or get friendly with a lot tools and a welder.
It's best to do it yourself because when it breaks out on the trail, and it will you either fix it up yourself or you're walkin because AAA ain't comin.

Tires and traction control make such a huge difference, even if you are going on dirt trails you don’t need 4x4.

You're in AZ, fuking desert, dry, flat. Try KY, Maine, Wa state and many others.
That pic of mine above is on a trail called Axle Alley out east of Phoenix. I guess you can guess why it's called axle alley but if you can't its because so many axles have been broken on it. It's also great at slicing heavy duty off road tires into ribbons. Of course it's way more fun at night.

Love me some night wheeling!!....except for the beer nuts.
I really hate the mud and try and avoid it. It's a good three hour drive to get to the rocks from Katy Texas. We used to frequent Hidden falls out near Marble falls on Lake LBJ.

We'd head to Katemcy Rocks a couple of times a year but it's a long drive being on the other side of Texas.

Sounds to me like you had a Cruser and not an FJ. FJ Landcrusers went out of production sometime around 78 I think. Then Toyota came out with the Cruser in 2005 or 6 maybe. With IFS axels it was IMHO nothing like a FJ and more of a soccer mom mobile. I watched a real knucklehead take a brand spanking new Cruser from the lot to the Rubicon trail and destroy it. He had NO clue. A shithead from the word go. I mean that thing was junk by the time it was dragged and beat all the way down that trail. It was just sio much scrap. Let's just say it wasn't what they call trail rated. LOL Actually there isn't really anything that's really ready to go off the lot these days ergo the saying that real rigs are built not bought. You're gonna have to either pay someone a whole bunch of money or get friendly with a lot tools and a welder.
It's best to do it yourself because when it breaks out on the trail, and it will you either fix it up yourself or you're walkin because AAA ain't comin.

Yeah it was the Cruiser.
The thing was actually more capable than my Tacoma.
Plenty of FJ cruisers have run the Rubicon with mild damage.
You obviously need to mod them a bit and expect some trail damage but that goes with most anything on the Rubicon.
We always went in groups off roading and one of our members was a certified Toyota mechanic.
He brought a shitload of replacement parts on his trailer and we'd divide the parts amongst us before we hit the trail. Even had a welder.
We fixed many a broken axle and other things on the trail.

This is Twister at Barnwell Mountain outside of Dallas.
Never saw a jeep that could make it up.
Did it all the time in my FJ.
It might not look deep but the top ledge is head high from the bottom.
It was a bitch,as its name would suggest it would constantly twist you around and drop you back into the same place.
6ABA22E3-65A9-43A9-9425-E3A1380EF195_1_201_a.jpeg

I really hate the mud and try and avoid it. It's a good three hour drive to get to the rocks from Katy Texas. We used to frequent Hidden falls out near Marble falls on Lake LBJ.

We'd head to Katemcy Rocks a couple of times a year but it's a long drive being on the other side of Texas.

Funny thing. A few years ago I moved up into the Sierra foothills. Fordyce one of the biggest badass rocrawing trails anywhere is 30 mins from my front door and I've stopped wheeling. All of my wheeling friends grew up, got married, started having kids and got to old for me to play with anymore so I've pretty much stopped. I pretty much got to old for all of that camping stuff anyway. Funny thing is they always use to tease me for being so old but I outlasted every damn one of them. I'm keeping my rig though because I'm too damned old and decrepped now to build another one. I'm driving it to my grave.

Funny thing. A few years ago I moved up into the Sierra foothills. Fordyce one of the biggest badass rocrawing trails anywhere is 30 mins from my front door and I've stopped wheeling. All of my wheeling friends grew up, got married, started having kids and got to old for me to play with anymore so I've pretty much stopped. I pretty much got to old for all of that camping stuff anyway. Funny thing is they always use to tease me for being so old but I outlasted every damn one of them. I'm keeping my rig though because I'm too damned old and decrepped now to build another one. I'm driving it to my grave.

I hear ya on getting old.
Went from tent camping to this...
7CDC3A85-1327-4DDB-9EFE-F70680278608.jpeg

Which was a step up with the A/C and Heat but that wasnt good enough for the Wife so now we have this.

FC250CF6-A808-4950-8E40-F66EFCA96033.jpeg

CA2FAF6B-5C93-4719-8A10-0A8332460BCB.jpeg

We'll leave it at fish camp so all we have to do is show up and fire up the generator.
Feel like a sell out but at least I can blame it on the Wife.

I bought a Subaru when I moved to Alaska for a while. Otherwise the main advantage of '4wd' was the high ground clearance, not the extra drive axle; tossing bags of sand in the back of the truck worked fine the vast majority of the time pretty much everywhere else, as does having a decent winch on the front. I have a tractor I drive around when it's iced over here pulling my neighbors' 4wd' out of ditches and holes. lol

View attachment 333986
Which was a step up with the A/C and Heat but that wasnt good enough for the Wife so now we have this.

View attachment 333987
View attachment 333988
We'll leave it at fish camp so all we have to do is show up and fire up the generator.

All well and good but I don't think you could get it to fit down a rock drawing trail like Dusy Ershim. But it would be really nice not having to pitch a tent, set up a cot and drag out all that other stuff. It's not as bad if you can spend a couple of nights in one spot or do like we did on my annual trip to Arizona where we'd spend a whole week in one place and run different trails in the area. Same thing for Moab but I'd usually just check into a motel there but then you'd miss the camp fire.
I never hauled a generator but those sissies in Southen Cal used to when I'd go down to wheel Johnson Valley or Death Valley.

View attachment 333986

View attachment 333987
View attachment 333988

All well and good but I don't think you could get it to fit down a rock drawing trail like Dusy Ershim. But it would be really nice not having to pitch a tent, set up a cot and drag out all that other stuff. It's not as bad if you can spend a couple of nights in one spot or do like we did on my annual trip to Arizona where we'd spend a whole week in one place and run different trails in the area. Same thing for Moab but I'd usually just check into a motel there but then you'd miss the camp fire.
I never hauled a generator but those sissies in Southen Cal used to when I'd go down to wheel Johnson Valley or Death Valley.

Obviously the camper is for one place for the most part.
Have a 6'000 acre lease with dozens of lakes and I couldnt even tell you how many miles of SxS trails,from miles long sand flats to hills and fast tracks through the woods with jumps on em. Not to mention the bottom lands full of hardwoods.
This is one of our favorite creek crossings....fucken spooky as hell at night if you not familiar with it.

82F9489F-DDBC-4713-A6D1-C74F59489B33.jpeg

I have a shitload of high end camping gear from huge canvas tents to hammocks,two person tents and tent cots.
Backpacks and all that goes with that kinda camping.

As far as a generator goes you pretty much have to have one in south Texas in the summer or you're gonna roast.

Dont see the need for one in the California desert since it gets cold at night.

Now, with limited-slip diff's and traction control in almost all RWD vehicles, there is truly no need for 4WD unless you are a girly-man wuss (or a woman), or you are that rare character who takes his truck off road with some regularity.

My manhood is safe enough and the arguments for 4WD just don't hold up for me.
marge no one enjoy it.gif

Trying to make "little dick" jokes about what people drive is weak shit.

I still remember the Kentucky snow storm of around 92' 4wheel drives where all over the place in ditches and such.

My little car plowed right through it. That was the best car I had in the snow.

How deep? I wasn't here till 2010. Had a Subaru, FWD great car in light WA state snow but no clearance. Small stuff high centers and is stuck.

Forum List

Back