Debate Now The Question: Too Much Federal Interference with Commerce and Industry?

This is the Structured Debate Zone. If you have not yet reviewed the forum rules for this forum, it is recommended that you do so and then join right in.

In this discussion we will consider whether there is too much federal government overreach, not enough, or it is just about right regarding your job or business. The question to be discussed follows the examples given. The discussion is not necessarily limited to those examples.

Examples:

The original Social Security Act
was signed into law in 1935 and went into effect in 1937. Franklin D. Roosevelt was President. The original FICA tax was 2% of income up to a maximum of $3,000 of income. It is currently 12.4% of income (split between employee and employer if the person is working for wages--the self employed pay all of it) and is assessed to a maximum of $118,000 in income. Originally intended to supplement retirement income for the elderly, numerous other benefits have been added to the program over the years.

The Social Security act also opened the door for federal welfare programs and initiated federal unemployment insurance and a mandate for state unemployment insurance. The tax intended to pay for federal (FUTA) and state (SUTA) unemployment insurance now averages out to about 6% of wages paid to employees working for wages. The employer pays this.

Medicare
was added to social security benefits in 1965 signed into law by Lyndon Baines Johnson. Two years later a tax of .07% was added to offset costs of Medicare. That tax is now 2.8% of wages paid up to $118,000 in gross wages, again split between employer and employee%.

Minimum wage
was signed into law in 1939. FDR was president. The original minimum wage was 30 cents. It is now $7.50.

OSHA,
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was signed into law in 1971 by Richard M. Nixon. In 1996 the Denver Business Journal estimated the cost to employers to comply with ever changing OSHA rules and regulations at about $33 billion. I couldn't find any figures more recent than that.

The EPA
The Environmental Protection Agency, was created in 1970 via executive order of Richard M. Nixon. It was never authorized as law by Congress but was informally ratified by committee in both House and Senate and has been treated as law ever since. In 1912, Ryan Young writing for the EPI and reported in The Daily Caller estimated roughly $353 billion each and every year for commerce and industry to comply with EPA regulations.

The ADA
Americans with Disabilities Act, was signed into law in 1990 by George H.W. Bush and puts mandatory requirements on every American business to accommodate physical and mental disabilities of both clientele and employees at the expense of the business owner. I could find no estimates of what this costs American commerce and industry, but it too almost certainly runs into many billions of dollars.​

These are just the obvious demands that the federal government puts on American commerce and industry. There are countless others filling thousands of volumes of documents that help form the Library of Congress--so many that no business owner can possibly know what they all are. Certainly there have been benefits in many of these programs--lives have been saved, the environment has been improved, and millions of people have benefitted financially.

Does that justify them as they are written and enforced? Or is there a downside that offsets some or most of the benefits?

THE QUESTIONS TO BE ADDRESSED IN THIS DISCUSSION:

Focusing on existing federal law/mandates only--above examples can be used but any existing federal law can be brought into the discussion--has the government gone too far in ordering the conduct and practices and requirements of and for American commerce and industry? Or is what it does mostly necessary?

RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION:

1. No mention of political party, liberal or conservative (or any sociopolitical ideologies). Focus on the pros and cons of the law itself regardless of who initiated it or who supports it.

2. No ad hominem. What you think a member or anybody else probably thinks or feels or wants or believes is irrelevant. Focus on the comments posted and not on the member who posted them.

3. Disagreement with anybody's post is fine and is encouraged, but do not disagree only by demanding proof or links. If you disagree with somebody else's post, state why you disagree with it. Certainly outside links will be in order from time to time to support an argument and/or to rebut another's argument.

4. If there is a disagreement on a definition or term used, the thread author reserves the right to rule on what definition will be used for purposes of this discussion. She does not promise to make everybody happy with that ruling.

5. Some friendly banter will be allowed, but not to the extent that it derails the thread. Stay on topic and relate your comments to the topic as much as possible. It will be okay, in fact probably useful, to focus on a specific federal law affecting commerce and industry and discussing that separately from the others.

Happy debating. :)

Am I the only one who thought "wow, ironic, a thread about too much government interference in a special-rules group." :)

No special rules that require anybody to do anything though Delta. All are purely voluntary because there is absolutely nobody and nothing that can require you to participate in this thread. Don't like the procedural guidelines, don't participate.

It really is that simple.

For that matter I have no problem whatsoever with the government providing guidelines for participation in programs that are purely voluntary for people to participate in and/or contribute to. The programs would be pretty chaotic if they didn't.

Don't like or dislike it, just think it's ironic someone wanting to discuss whether there's too much government regulation has 5 extra paragraphs just for their extra rules. :)

This is the Structured Debate Zone. If you have not yet reviewed the forum rules for this forum, it is recommended that you do so and then join right in.

In this discussion we will consider whether there is too much federal government overreach, not enough, or it is just about right regarding your job or business. The question to be discussed follows the examples given. The discussion is not necessarily limited to those examples.

Examples:

was signed into law in 1935 and went into effect in 1937. Franklin D. Roosevelt was President. The original FICA tax was 2% of income up to a maximum of $3,000 of income. It is currently 12.4% of income (split between employee and employer if the person is working for wages--the self employed pay all of it) and is assessed to a maximum of $118,000 in income. Originally intended to supplement retirement income for the elderly, numerous other benefits have been added to the program over the years.

The Social Security act also opened the door for federal welfare programs and initiated federal unemployment insurance and a mandate for state unemployment insurance. The tax intended to pay for federal (FUTA) and state (SUTA) unemployment insurance now averages out to about 6% of wages paid to employees working for wages. The employer pays this.

Medicare
was added to social security benefits in 1965 signed into law by Lyndon Baines Johnson. Two years later a tax of .07% was added to offset costs of Medicare. That tax is now 2.8% of wages paid up to $118,000 in gross wages, again split between employer and employee%.

Minimum wage
was signed into law in 1939. FDR was president. The original minimum wage was 30 cents. It is now $7.50.

OSHA,
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was signed into law in 1971 by Richard M. Nixon. In 1996 the Denver Business Journal estimated the cost to employers to comply with ever changing OSHA rules and regulations at about $33 billion. I couldn't find any figures more recent than that.

The EPA
The Environmental Protection Agency, was created in 1970 via executive order of Richard M. Nixon. It was never authorized as law by Congress but was informally ratified by committee in both House and Senate and has been treated as law ever since. In 1912, Ryan Young writing for the EPI and reported in The Daily Caller estimated roughly $353 billion each and every year for commerce and industry to comply with EPA regulations.

The ADA
Americans with Disabilities Act, was signed into law in 1990 by George H.W. Bush and puts mandatory requirements on every American business to accommodate physical and mental disabilities of both clientele and employees at the expense of the business owner. I could find no estimates of what this costs American commerce and industry, but it too almost certainly runs into many billions of dollars.​

These are just the obvious demands that the federal government puts on American commerce and industry. There are countless others filling thousands of volumes of documents that help form the Library of Congress--so many that no business owner can possibly know what they all are. Certainly there have been benefits in many of these programs--lives have been saved, the environment has been improved, and millions of people have benefitted financially.

Does that justify them as they are written and enforced? Or is there a downside that offsets some or most of the benefits?

Focusing on existing federal law/mandates only--above examples can be used but any existing federal law can be brought into the discussion--has the government gone too far in ordering the conduct and practices and requirements of and for American commerce and industry? Or is what it does mostly necessary?

1. No mention of political party, liberal or conservative (or any sociopolitical ideologies). Focus on the pros and cons of the law itself regardless of who initiated it or who supports it.

2. No ad hominem. What you think a member or anybody else probably thinks or feels or wants or believes is irrelevant. Focus on the comments posted and not on the member who posted them.

3. Disagreement with anybody's post is fine and is encouraged, but do not disagree only by demanding proof or links. If you disagree with somebody else's post, state why you disagree with it. Certainly outside links will be in order from time to time to support an argument and/or to rebut another's argument.

4. If there is a disagreement on a definition or term used, the thread author reserves the right to rule on what definition will be used for purposes of this discussion. She does not promise to make everybody happy with that ruling.

5. Some friendly banter will be allowed, but not to the extent that it derails the thread. Stay on topic and relate your comments to the topic as much as possible. It will be okay, in fact probably useful, to focus on a specific federal law affecting commerce and industry and discussing that separately from the others.

Am I the only one who thought "wow, ironic, a thread about too much government interference in a special-rules group." :)

No special rules that require anybody to do anything though Delta. All are purely voluntary because there is absolutely nobody and nothing that can require you to participate in this thread. Don't like the procedural guidelines, don't participate.

It really is that simple.

For that matter I have no problem whatsoever with the government providing guidelines for participation in programs that are purely voluntary for people to participate in and/or contribute to. The programs would be pretty chaotic if they didn't.

Don't like or dislike it, just think it's ironic someone wanting to discuss whether there's too much government regulation has 5 extra paragraphs just for their extra rules. :)

Well everybody doesn't like everything and everybody has their own preferences. The folks participating in the thread seem to be navigating the rules quite nicely and I have enjoyed the discussion. Those participating have certainly made me back up and rethink some things. And I love when that happens.

I got really tired of the thread derailers coming in to a thread and demanding to establish their own rules while complaining about mine, so I figured it practical to settle as much as I could in the OP. So far it seems to be working.

There is a great deal of difference between a tax credit or deduction and a subsidy too.

In 1980, the small community of Rio Rancho NM put in a bid for Intel to establish a manufacturing plant in their city. The people of Rio Ranch--mind you it was via a vote of the people--voted for the city to give Intel a large track of free land at the edge of town--land that wasn't wanted or being used by anybody else and wasn't useful for much else. And because the new plant was competing with absolutely nobody else in the entire state, the State of New Mexico and the Rio Rancho City Council both agreed to waive city and state taxes for a number of years if Intel would locate there. There was no federal involvement of any kind. It was a beautiful contract between the people and government as I believe government was always intended to work.

The result? Intel started out with 25 people, but within a few years it had grown to be New Mexico's largest private employer:
  • Intel's annual economic impact to New Mexico was more than $832 million in 2013.
  • Intel employs about 2,800 people at its campus in Rio Rancho.
  • Every 10 Intel jobs support an additional 18 jobs in the community.
  • Intel, the Intel Foundation and Intel employees contribute over $4 million a year to schools and programs in New Mexico in support of education, the environment and quality of life.
And Rio Rancho has grown from a sleepy high desert village to be a beautiful modern city with all the amenities and is New Mexico's fastest growing communities.

Somehow I think if the federal government had attempted this project or had involved itself in it, the results wouldn't have been nearly so impressive.

Well yeah ... But like I had mentioned in my post ... The people who wrote the deal were the ones who secured the proper agreement.
I was asking about the general idea that people are quick to blame corporations when they don't write the deals.

Sorry if I strayed too far off topic.
I think some standardization involved when the Federal Government gets involved is a bonus ... But I don't think that is enough reason to make it mandatory.

No I don't think you strayed off topic. You just made me think of how corporations and government can work together effectively for the benefit of all. Which was probably more off topic than your post. :)

I absolutely thing that we can't blame the corporations who are just following and taking advantage of the laws the state and federal government pass. To blame the corporation because the law benefits that corporation in some way is like blaming the other woman for breaking up your marriage instead of blaming your cheating husband.

If there is no law benefitting the corporation, then it is a done deal that the corporation won't be benefitting from that law. But it is really hard for some people to see government as the problem instead of the rich guy.

Examples:

Medicare

Minimum wage

OSHA,

The EPA

The ADA

No the federal government does not interfere with commerce too much. Some would say it helps commerce. Either way commerce is doing well in the USA

Examples:

Medicare

Minimum wage

OSHA,

The EPA

The ADA

Red:
In my business, the way it is is okay. Personally, I think the government could stand to raise the minimum wage to ~$15/hour and that Social Security/Medicare should never have been changed from forced personal savings to "pay as you go," but some of the other stuff seems okay to me.
  • ADA -- Why businesses need to do "stuff" to accommodate mental disabilities is beyond me. I don't think that folks having physical disabilities should be denied equivalent ease of access to buildings and whatnot. But even that's within reason. For example, in an emergency, how is a person who has difficulty waling going to quickly exit the 85th floor of the Empire State Building?

On the other hand, it seems right to me that if they work there, the restrooms should have features that allow them to take a dump or pee, wash their hands, use drinking fountains, vending machines, cafeteria services, etc. without needing assistance. I think the same should apply to places like other public places like shopping malls, theatres, grocery stores, and so on. It hardly seems right to me, for example, that a wheelchair bound person should be confined to buying goods on shelves roughly four feet tall or less.

I don't think many Americans really get it when it comes to ADA matters. If, however, one were to visit Paris one crutches and need to use the Metro, one'd get it immediately. Sure, well off folks who are also physically handicapped, along with very highly motivated folks like Amy Purdy and certain other paralympians can get by quite well, but saying that we as a society expect that level of achievement from all physically handicapped folks is just ethically thoughtless.
  • EPA -- Some of what this agency does make sense, seems appropriate and necessary. Other things not as much. For example, the things the EPA stipulates that are intended to keep the environment clean are things I'm okay with; we all need the environment, so it's important to keep it tidy. I'm pretty sure that companies wouldn't do nearly as much to treat their wastes and if they were sued in court, they'd do all they could to deny they had a damn thing to do with creating XYZ situation.

The thing to which I don't cotton when it comes to opponents of the EPA is the citing of big numbers -- and you've done this but I haven't checked their actual relevance -- in an effort to scare voters. For example, Forbes wrote "The EPA’s regulations have burdened the energy industry and consumers with an estimated $9.6 billion in higher costs." Well, $9.6 billion seems like it would be an onerous thing, that is until one learns that the U.S. energy industry is a $1.1 trillion one, or that $29 billion is the sum of energy industry dividends paid to owners, energy industry, and that was in 2013. Well, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to feel much of anything when a $1+ trillion industry must bear $6.9 billion in costs spread among multiple producers in that industry. We're talking 6/1000ths of the industry's money. Quite simply, "the lady doth protesteth too much."

Blue:
Businesses have one motivation -- profit -- and there's no way around the fact that laissez faire capitalism will unavoidably result in the unethical treatment of workers. I am not going to chide businesses for being that way. Creatures with teeth bite, bees sting, skunks stink and businesses will do whatever they can that best serves their profit motive. Like it or not, that means spending as little as possible on the goods and services they procure and produce, and selling their "stuff" for as much as they can get.

Green:
If there're any classes of legislation that I take particular exception with it's the "for your own good" class and the administrative management of the populace laws. (I'm not sure what be the direct and indirect economic impact of such laws on businesses or individuals.)
  • For Your Own Good Law examples:
    • Sin taxes -- Take your pick; I think all of them are excessive by dint of their mere existence.
    • Interstate highway speed limits.
    • Sodomy, prostitution and other "in the bedroom" laws/prohibitions -- You do what you want in your bedroom, and if you don't want to do what I want in mine, I'll find someone else who does. I don't need the government telling you or me what we should or shouldn't do.
    • Personal vehicle safety regulations -- Some of them make sense, but in the main, I think the ones that make it safer for the rest of us to be in the vicinity of your vehicle are fine, but those that benefit only occupants of the vehicle should be optionally installed at the buyer's/maker's election.
    • Many, but not all, permits one must get when building/renovating one's own home. (If in the process of building/redoing, one might adversely impact one's neighbors, that's a different story.)
    • Laws against suicide (assisted or not) -- If you want to off yourself, have at it, but don't expect me to pay for your recovery and medical care if you fail. With any luck you'll be more successful at that than you have been with whatever drove to you feel obliged to do so.
    • Censorship and "decency" laws
    • Laws that force all employees in a company/industry to belong to a union -- I think that companies should offer salary "X" to union employees and salary "Y" to those who opt not to be part of the union. Employees should annually be free to join or exit the union at will....their salary should be adjusted as befits their choice.
  • Administrative and/or Administrative Management Law examples:
    • Marriage contracts -- The state need not have anything to do with marriage.
    • A host of licenses, certifications, and registrations that one must obtain to be in business -- admittedly, few of them are super expensive, but the principle of having to get one is more of what I find offensive than is the cost. I'd be perfectly fine if the government acted as a certifier of competence, allowing individuals/businesses to exist without the government offered certification, whereas those businesses that want to tout that their personnel are so certified/licensed can do so if they want to. That the licenses etc. act effectively as impenetrable barriers to entry -- no matter how small -- to a field of business is what I find unacceptable.
    • Most aspects related to owning and driving a car. It makes good sense to me that an individual should have to demonstrate a reasonable facility with operating a car, truck, motorcycle, etc. The government shouldn't force me to periodically re-register my vehicles once I've bought them.
    • Inheritance taxes

Forum List

Back