The Prosecution/Witch Hunt Of John Edwards

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlkPMdoTVLw]John Edwards - Reno Town Hall: Two Americas - YouTube[/ame]

Wait -- who is George Holding? And why should we care?
After winning a recent primary, Holding is likely the next congressman in the 13th District of North Carolina. He initiated the prosecution against Edwards while he was a U.S. Attorney. But he didn't argue the case in court. Instead, after receiving a year's worth of headlines (and Republican praise) for charging Edwards, Holding resigned from the case to run for Congress.

Maybe Holding understood the weakness of the case, which rested upon Edwards' failure to report the money billionaire heiress Bunny Mellon and another wealthy donor gave to him to help hide his mistress. The problem is that if Edwards had reported contributions and then used them for personal expenses, he would have been guilty of a crime, since the Federal Election Commission bars spending official campaign funds on personal expenses. Therefore, according to Holding, Edwards was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't.
That's not very good legal reasoning on which to rest a case -- especially a case unlike any other that had been successfully tried. And since Holding had access to all the available evidence and knew that no witness and no recordings would suggest that Edwards knew he was breaking the law, it is difficult to see how Holding thought he might win, other than hoping that jurors disliked Edwards so much they would convict him.
Or maybe Holding wasn't all that concerned with the legal reasoning. Perhaps he realized that, win or lose, he'd already gotten enough mileage from the case to realize his political ambitions. By the time he indicted Edwards, the well-connected Holding knew that the newly Republican state legislature had drawn a safe district he could win, if only he could get out of the primary. And what better way to appeal to Republican diehards than prosecuting the smarmy, liberal trial lawyer John Edwards? Holding certainly received his reward last month when he won his congressional primary.
The public generally associates politicians with the pursuit of ambition and power. Too often, investigators act from similar motives. Law enforcement officials seek to justify long, expensive investigations into high-profile targets by stretching the law to win convictions and mount the biggest scalps on their walls.

Edwards trial a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money - CNN.com

I think it is worth mentioning that the Bush and Clinton families are friends, George Holding was asked to stay on with the Obama administration and the DNC convention was awarded to North Carolina.

It's a waste of time, John Edwards was more honorable than most politicians, left and right, that's why they sought any detail to destroy him.

I didn't know that honorable men denied fathering their children.
Perhaps you know something this father (me) doesn't. I await your explanation.

He owes no admittance to you, his girlfriend said he is a wonderful father and loves his daughter.

John Edwards destroyed himself.

The case against him is weak - and completely unimportant. Just another example of someone trying to make a name for themselves. But Edwards' fate is entirely his own fault. There are some things that you can't recover from in politics.

It's a waste of time, John Edwards was more honorable than most politicians, left and right, that's why they sought any detail to destroy him.

He owes no admittance to you, his girlfriend said he is a wonderful father and loves his daughter.

He denied being the father for how long?
Yeah, real honorable.
He's a fucking scumbag.

The case against him is weak - and completely unimportant. Just another example of someone trying to make a name for themselves. But Edwards' fate is entirely his own fault. There are some things that you can't recover from in politics.

The affair is his fault but the overzealous and ridiculous political witch hunt is not his fault.

The affair is his fault but the overzealous and ridiculous political witch hunt is not his fault.

Sure it is - in the sense that he's a professional politician. He knew that this would happen if it got out, and he took the risk anyway.

An "overzealous and ridiculous political witch hunt" was all but guaranteed.

He denied being the father for how long?
Yeah, real honorable.
He's a fucking scumbag.

Again he doesn't owe the press anything. I suspect your feigned outrage is politically motivated.

Sure it is - in the sense that he's a professional politician. He knew that this would happen if it got out, and he took the risk anyway.

He knew what would happen? took what risk?

LOL, John Edwards....the white Obama.

There was no witch hunt for Edwards, the media covered up his affair. Remember his story was broke by the National Inquirer? Only then did the media start reporting what they already knew.

John Edwards was a total scumbag, it's a shame he wasn't nominated to be the leader of the D-bags, he was their perfect representative.

He knew that if his affair came out, it would result in an "overzealous and ridiculous political witch hunt". And he did it anyway.

Honorable men don't cheat on their wife while she's dying of cancer.

LOL, John Edwards....the white Obama.

There was no witch hunt for Edwards, the media covered up his affair. Remember his story was broke by the National Inquirer? Only then did the media start reporting what they already knew.

John Edwards was a total scumbag, it's a shame he wasn't nominated to be the leader of the D-bags, he was their perfect representative.

Yeah because Republicans never have affairs. lol

Even GOP hero Ronald Reagan ditched his first wife for Nancy Reagan.

Honorable men don't cheat on their wife while she's dying of cancer.

GOP hero Ronald Reagan ditched his first wife for Nancy Reagan.

He knew that if his affair came out, it would result in an "overzealous and ridiculous political witch hunt". And he did it anyway.

I'm sure he would have expected the hypocrisy from the right but not the left and not a false prosecution of the law.

Forum List

Back