The Problem of Scientific Illiteracy

Steven_R

Tommy Vercetti Fan Club
Jul 17, 2013
This weekend, I watched a video of a talk by Barbara Forrest, PhD, about Intelligent Design's motives and what they are likely to do next. It's pretty much the same points we know about, so there isn't really anything new, but if you're interested in watching it here it is: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL4_x9KRVj8]"Inside Creationism's Trojan Horse" - YouTube[/ame]

Anyways, during the Q&A she brings a up a great point about how scientists should be engaged in this debate, but aren't, in large part because they are busy doing science. We do have a problem with scientific literacy being poor in this country, and seemingly getting worse. I think we can come to some consensus about why, namely:

1) Science is hard and inaccessible. It's not something that can be understood in a few sentences and catch phrases. It takes real time, effort, and energy to understand, and even then to understand it at more than an everyman's level requires years of education. I'm a physics student and while I can read physics journals and have a pretty good understanding of what I'm reading, I'm hopelessly lost in a biology article or a chemistry paper, so what chance does the average citizen have?

2) Politics. The God Squad push to keep evolution out of the classroom, the Watermelons push to keep any criticism of climate change out of professional journals (much less in the public debate). Nobody is talking nuclear power. Politics uses science as a tool and goes out of its way to stifle anyone who says anything contrary to the party line. If science treated as a threat, how do we get science back in the public consciousness?

Case in point: This moron is a member of the Texas State School Board and she is arguing against the Big Bang. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5YWJAgJm2Q]"Cargill: The universe isn't expanding" - YouTube[/ame]

She is a "science educator" and a Young Earth Creationist. Yeah, seriously. So her politics dictates what she's willing to teach the kids, even when whatever training she does have shows her evidence to the contrary (nevermind the fact that she is not a physicist or astronomer and really is unqualified to say they are wrong).

3) Scientists are horrible at explaining science. Going back to point 1, science is hard. But the people who understand it best don't get in the public eye to explain it (obvious exceptions being people like NDT and Hawking and Bill Nye, the Science Guy). Really, who can blame them? Every minute spent explaining science is a minute not spent in a lab, or writing, or teaching, or pandering for grant money. But even when they are up to the task, putting stuff in laymen's terms risks watering down the discussion to the point that the waters can get muddied by double talking and cherry picking anti-science types.

So, what can be done to get science into people's lives and to get students really excited about STEM fields?

Last edited:
I think a good way would be to point out all the errors and fallacies made in the name of "science". If you can have open honest discussion without forming an "accepted" designation and a "fringe" designation more people would be interested in proving or disproving certain claims, hypotheses, or theories. Science is too political in nature to be very attractive to people with outside the box ideas.

Steven-R:::

While I agree with MUCH of the OP -- I don't believe that science is beyond reach of the public.
They start out with a severe handicap compared to YOUR primary science education -- and therein lies the problem..

I've seen MANY K-12 books and journals that do EXCELLENT preparations in every science discipline. UNFORTUNATELY -- they are NOT textbooks. The state of science ed is reducing expectations and lowering the bar. And current textbooks are an evil political joke. While what's AVAILABLE to K-12 from PRIVATE publishers and sources is phenomenal. And these same sources at your local library are available to older folks as well who MISSED out on the basics.

I've also got no problem with people of faith pointing out the gaps and uncertainties in science knowledge. I know few physicists or scientists who can accept that all matter and energy in the known Universe once populated a space the size of a pinhead ---- WITHOUT A COUPLE OUNCES OF FAITH in that theory. Much of the dispute between science and religious faith exists in areas where a different kind of "scientific faith" is required to fully assimilate and truely grasp the literal assertions of BigBanger physics and evolution..

Don't sell yourself short about understanding topics outside of your "major".. The huge success of TED talks is BECAUSE of the enrichment that occurs when crossing disciplines.. The audience for TED is large -- BECAUSE there are talented people who recognize the value of that cross-pollination.. Might have to view a talk twice.. But you'll most certainly "get it"..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back