The next time some idiot tells you, "But the real science says....."

This happens in the first ten microns of the surface of the oceans..

Let's go over the basics, because you really need the lesson.

This is the temperature profile of most spots in the ocean. Note the vertical scale is sort of logarithmic.

516px-Sstday.png

The bulk of solar energy penetrates deeply and warms the water. Convection causes warmer water to rise, so the oceans get warmer as you get shallower.

However, that trend reverses at the skin layer. The atmosphere is usually colder than the ocean below, so the ocean at the surface loses heat to the cooler atmosphere, which lowers the temperature of the skin layer by about 1C.

The amount of heat flowing out the oceans, from combined conduction and evaporation, depends on the delta-T across that skin layer. Heat conducts from hot to cold, linearly proportionally to the temperature difference. With more of a temperature gradient, more heat flows out of the oceans. Less of a gradient, less outflow.

Enter the IR radiation. It heats the skin layer, decreasing the delta-T across the skin layer, so less heat flows out of the oceans. The IR doesn't heat the deeper ocean directly. It reduces the heat flow out of the deeper ocean, so more heat stays in the deeper ocean, so the IR indirectly warms the deeper ocean.

Note that the skin layer is _not_ evaporating away and instantly shedding the backradiation energy. An 0.3C temperature rise is not enough to make the skin layer boil. It is enough to significantly reduce heat flow out of the oceans.

---
Studies of the bulk-skin temperature difference (the "skin effect") show that it has a typical daytime value of 0.3 K (Schlussel, 1990) for high latitudes.
---

Last edited:
Cause you can’t prove greenhouse effect!

Sure we can. We point of pyrgeometer at the sky, it measures IR backradiation coming down.

Science doesn’t allow it

Theres's a special thread in this subforum for greenhouse effect denial, since even most deniers regard that position as embarrassingly kooky.
Hahaha hahaha hahaha. Sure you do, hahaha hahaha

The bulk of solar energy penetrates deeply and warms the water. Convection causes warmer water to rise, so the oceans get warmer as you get shallower.
You are a moron.... You do not understand the Evaporation Zone of water.. That is an old and debunked image.

Now what wavelength is actually responsible for heat beyond the first ten microns of depth? That's right 0.2 -0.6 microns or SOLAR DOWN-WELLING RADIATION... Your beloved CO2, that you claim warms the oceans, is >12.0 microns and it is this wave length we are talking about.. This wave length is dispersed in the first ten microns of the oceans surface, with in the evaporation zone.

I just torched your straw man... And you dont have a fucking clue about what your posting on.

People like confounding have been brainwashed into thinking if you aren't an expert on their particular subject you aren't qualified to speak on it. Very reminiscent of High priests being the word of God in my mind.

You're suggesting that scientists all over the planet are frauds that aren't doing science properly. You do not know more about the climate than the vast amount of climate scientists all over the world that say AGW is happening.

It doesnt matter what the scientists think.........it never has. The left has been making this point for over 10 years and it still doesnt matter. The voters dont give a crap about climate change........the evidence is profound. When they do, the science will matter.

People like confounding have been brainwashed into thinking if you aren't an expert on their particular subject you aren't qualified to speak on it. Very reminiscent of High priests being the word of God in my mind.

You're suggesting that scientists all over the planet are frauds that aren't doing science properly. You do not know more about the climate than the vast amount of climate scientists all over the world that say AGW is happening.

It doesnt matter what the scientists think.........it never has. The left has been making this point for over 10 years and it still doesnt matter. The voters dont give a crap about climate change........the evidence is profound. When they do, the science will matter.
skooks, good to see a post from you. scientists I guess don't know that plants need CO2.

Now what wavelength is actually responsible for heat beyond the first ten microns of depth? That's right 0.2 -0.6 microns or SOLAR DOWN-WELLING RADIATION...

That would be why I just wrote that. Thank you for confirming I'm correct.

Your beloved CO2, that you claim warms the oceans, is >12.0 microns and it is this wave length we are talking about..

Again, thank you for confirming I'm correct.

This wave length is dispersed in the first ten microns of the oceans surface, with in the evaporation zone.

And so once more, thank you for confirming I'm correct.

So what was the point of agreeing with me all around and then having a screaming meltdown? It just made you look like a bitter kook.

And why are you babbling about an "Evaporation zone"? After all, I linked to the paper that shows the backradiation causes an 0.3C increase in skin layer temp, which will cause no significant increase in evaporation. Your "The energy is instantly lost in evaporation" theory is thus debunked as the crap cult propaganda that it is.

There's a reason the rational side has so much credibility. All the hard data confirms what we say. All the hard data says you're just making everything up, and that's why you're a cult laughingstock.

Forum List

Back