The myth that ants are stronger than humans ??

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I don’t think it’s true

As you size up: your muscles only increase by its surface cross section area while you mass increases by its cubed volume!! Huge difference

So If you shrunk down to an ant ??
You would have far more strength relative to your mass . You could easily pick up objects bigger than you and climb walls
If you double your human size : you would become far weaker compared to your relative mass

I don’t think it’s true

As you size up: your muscles only increase by its surface cross section area while you mass increases by its cubed volume!! Huge difference

So If you shrunk down to an ant ??
You would have far more strength relative to your mass . You could easily pick up objects bigger than you and climb walls
If you double your human size : you would become far weaker compared to your relative mass

Actually, that's the topics of a Physics lecture I went to.. It's to call attention to scaling issues in Biology that have a physics basis --- as you pointed out -- based on height, cross-section, volume, mass.

Also those metrics establish boundaries for metabolism, tolerance to heat/cold, and a surprising number of other limitations on lifeforms.. The special study field is called allometry.. A lot of fascinating facts in there for "science fiction" writers to study.. LOL...

I am a very knowledgeable poster because I present what I read from the experts

For instance, as life forms get bigger, their metabolic rate HAS to slow. Otherwise, whales and elephants couldn't sustain their diets.. They'd ravage the enviro for food and die..

It's also why giraffes are not MASSIVE creatures. Because the height can't sustain more mass on the same cross-section of their limbs..

Forum List

Back