The metric system

The metric system is far superior to the English system. Conversion can be done quickly. The English system we use is outdated.

The metric system is far superior to the English system. Conversion can be done quickly. The English system we use is outdated.
"Far superior" because conversion can be done quickly by whom? Idiots who grew up in front of a video game? American technology created the auto assembly line using the American measuring system while Europe was struggling to make horse drawn junk.

I wrote a science fiction series and stuck exclusively to the metric system and it created a lot of problems for me.

The metric system is logical and simple and has great apps for the science industry, but I have no desire to live in a world of newtons, liters, and pascals. Taken to its logical extension, there should be 10 hours in a day, and 100 days in a year.
My problem was describing how tall people are.

I would say someone was 1.6 meters tall.

No one knows what that is.

Actually, in countries where the metric system is used extensively, you refer to people's heights in centimeters, not decimal meters.

An average male is 170cm... average female is 160cm... etc.

I wrote a science fiction series and stuck exclusively to the metric system and it created a lot of problems for me.

The metric system is logical and simple and has great apps for the science industry, but I have no desire to live in a world of newtons, liters, and pascals. Taken to its logical extension, there should be 10 hours in a day, and 100 days in a year.
Yeah, tell the earth to speed up orbiting and rotation. The arguments are with you.

Yeah, tell the earth to speed up orbiting and rotation. The arguments are with you.
Tell me why an "hour" couldn't be 144 minutes long? Has nothing to do with changing the speed of the Earth.

As Konstantin Tsiolkovski said: "The Earth is the cradle of humankind, but one can't live in a cradle forever".
May be, it is time to broaden our horizons?

As Konstantin Tsiolkovski said: "The Earth is the cradle of humankind, but one can't live in a cradle forever".
Such an global effort would require the power houses to work together, not against each other.

What's wrong with using both?

Aviation in most countries uses feet for altitude and nautical miles for distance / speed.

The British use miles and MPH on their highways.

Going back and forth is pretty straightforward.
All building materials and construction is done with standard. An 8 ft sheet of plywood works with a 12,16, 19.25 and 24 inch truss layout. My opinion is standard works best with home construction.

I have tools in both metric and standard for working on cars, and learned metric during the push in the Carter years. It is an advantage knowing both.

Such an global effort would require the power houses to work together, not against each other.
Or we can unite the Earth after victory in WW III.

Uniting nuclear dust won´t result in advanced space activity.

Of course it will. Right now, we (humankind) have less than 10 000 nukes and more than 2000000 cities and towns. Undoubtedly, losses will be terrible, but it will not cause any sort of "Nuclear apocalypse".

Of course it will. Right now, we (humankind) have less than 10 000 nukes and more than 2000000 cities and towns. Undoubtedly, losses will be terrible, but it will not cause any sort of "Nuclear apocalypse".
Too bad for us that much / most of our vital links, roads, communication and infrastructure all go through or depend on those 10,000 cities. After destroying / crippling 10,000 cities, you ain't got much left.

Conrad Iowa (ever hear of it?) is the 10,000 largest city in the USA, population of one thousand. :smoke:

Yes, it will. The big cities, the industrial centers would be targeted. After the war, man will not be able to make toasters (or use them), let alone population transporting space crafts.

American craftsmen are smart enough to work with the metric system but we learned back in the Peanut Man's day that Americans prefer to deal with inches and miles per hour even though the U.S. Military is forced to rely on the antiquated NATO treaty.

There's simply no comparison. It's time to scrap the English system. Put it in the scrap heap.

Forum List

Back