The Messianic Idea in Judaism

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Belief in the eventual coming of the mashiach is a basic and fundamental part of traditional Judaism.

I am interested in your thoughts on the Messianic idea in Judaism.

Rambam's thirteen principles of faith are what Rambam believed the minimum requirements of Jewish beliefs to be:
  1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal
  5. Prayer is to be directed to G-d alone and to no other
  6. The words of the prophets are true
  7. Moses' prophecies are true, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets
  8. The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses
  9. There will be no other Torah
  10. G-d knows the thoughts and deeds of men
  11. G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked
  12. The Messiah will come
  13. The dead will be resurrected

Rambam's thirteen principles of faith are what Rambam believed the minimum requirements of Jewish beliefs to be:
  1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal
  8. The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses

did you know that in his lifetime----some people challenged the writings of Maimonides?

I am fascinated by the idea of a coming messiah. It is true but by what logic does God arrive at it? I speculate that the messiah is a necessity because if the universe had a beginning then it can also have an end that is administered by the messiah.

1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal

did you know that in his lifetime----some people challenged the writings of Maimonides?

Is that because he was highly influenced by Al-Farabi, a Persian Shiite, the second Aristotle.:p

1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal

Is that because he was highly influenced by Al-Farabi, a Persian Shiite, the second Aristotle.

no-----Al Farabi was influenced by Jewish mysticism------KABBALISM. and the Sufis kept a close
communication with jewish scholars back then------not only Moshe ben maimon------but also his son---
Jews in Egypt and Morocco were somewhat protected by that relationship back then. It is fairly recently
that the friendly situation has gone down the toilet based on Arabism Islamism. Even Sufis are not what
they USED to be------they went off the deep end less than 200 years ago

Belief in the eventual coming of the mashiach is a basic and fundamental part of traditional Judaism.

Judaism is the covenant between a particular Canaanite tribe, the Israelites, and one of the iron-age gods of the Canaanites. The belief at the time was that a powerful god would take care of his people and they too would be powerful. That arrangement worked for a time but they eventually were conquered by their more powerful neighbors. They must have been sinful or that would never have been allowed to happen so they needed to repent. When they were sufficiently back to their god he would send a leader to free them. He could be a soldier or a prophet. That was what they expected as they chafed under Roman rule. Jesus, a follower of John the Baptist, attempted to fulfill that role when John was killed but the Romans interceded and ended his life on a cross. My $0.02.

Judaism is the covenant between a particular Canaanite tribe, the Israelites, and one of the iron-age gods of the Canaanites. The belief at the time was that a powerful god would take care of his people and they too would be powerful. That arrangement worked for a time but they eventually were conquered by their more powerful neighbors. They must have been sinful or that would never have been allowed to happen so they needed to repent. When they were sufficiently back to their god he would send a leader to free them. He could be a soldier or a prophet. That was what they expected as they chafed under Roman rule. Jesus, a follower of John the Baptist, attempted to fulfill that role when John was killed but the Romans interceded and ended his life on a cross. My $0.02.

you over estimated its value

Maybe to you but I can support all of it.

Maybe to you but I can support all of it.
\

ok you should write a book too

1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal

OK. Thanks. How does that matter with regard to this list?

The Torah contains several references to "the End of Days" (acharit ha-yamim), which is the time of the mashiach; thus, the concept of mashiach was known in the most ancient times. The term "mashiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne. The mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.

This belief is what I am curious about; the maschiach in the End Days. For that matter the End Days too.

Do you have any information on that?

They want someone to lead them into the desert for 40 more years. I nominate you.

moschiach has't come yet.
Correct. According to Jewish prophecy the mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.

moschiach has't come yet.
Correct. According to Jewish prophecy the mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.

in biblical times (as now) jews disagreed on whether the messiah was a spiritual messiah, a messianic king who would defeat Israel's enemies or some combination of both. after the coming of the messiah the temple, then there would be 1000 years of peace. (I'm leaving out a lot of details of course)

They want someone to lead them into the desert for 40 more years. I nominate you.

that has nothing to do with the coming of the messiah.

we've already been through the desert for 40 years. and we had Moses...

The mashiach will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5).

The Torah contains several references to "the End of Days" (acharit ha-yamim), which is the time of the mashiach; thus, the concept of mashiach was known in the most ancient times. The term "mashiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne. The mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.

This belief is what I am curious about; the maschiach in the End Days. For that matter the End Days too.

Do you have any information on that?

You mean the TANACH----the Torah is just the first five books of that which you call "the old testament"---
I do not recall "final days" and Moshiach prophecies in the TORAH

Forum List

Back