The Medicated Child

Who said anything about chemical test?

if there is no test how can it be a medical illness..can you prove there is such a thing as a chemical imbalance or is it only theory

Why don't you take a hammer and hit your thumb? Do it...right now!

How can we tell if you are having pain? There are no blood tests for it.

Yet, we treat your pain with a narcotic...a chemical...that goes into your brain and binds to receptors to stop the pain.

Almost every thing is a biochemical imbalance to one degree or another.

so its simply a theory..not a proven medical condition..and go hit your finger with a hammer lhard enough to create a persistent pain and there will indeed be psychological signs of the injury even if it redness or swelling...is there any such psychological display in mental illness...can anti psycotics...create..psycosis...can antidepressants cause suicidal and homicidal acts ?...life long movement disorders ??

Apparently genetics determines the likely hood of depression. I, on the other hand think it's largely environmental, meaning that I believe it's more likely for children to mimic their parents coping skills. Sometimes. Actually, I'm just making that up. But it could happen!

if there is no test how can it be a medical illness..can you prove there is such a thing as a chemical imbalance or is it only theory

Yet, we treat your pain with a narcotic...a chemical...that goes into your brain and binds to receptors to stop the pain.

so its simply a theory..not a proven medical condition..and go hit your finger with a hammer lhard enough to create a persistent pain and there will indeed be psychological signs of the injury even if it redness or swelling...is there any such psychological display in mental illness...can anti psycotics...create..psycosis...can antidepressants cause suicidal and homicidal acts ?...life long movement disorders ??

I'm not talking about the psychological aspects of hitting your thumb.

I'm just talking about the acute pain that you experience. That is a chemical imbalance. But we don't measure any blood tests to prove it.

There are lots of disorders that we measure blood work to diagnose. There are also lots of disorders that we assess clinical findings to diagnose. High cholesterol is an example of the former and high blood pressure is an example of the latter.

And for each "chemical imbalance" there are chemicals that can and have been measured...but in a day to day clinical setting, these lab test would be too costly or invasive to perform, but instead have been correlated with clinical findings.

However, I don't really need to spend any more time explaining anything to you, because you are eots. Any discussion with you is a certified waste of time.

Apparently genetics determines the likely hood of depression. I, on the other hand think it's largely environmental, meaning that I believe it's more likely for children to mimic their parents coping skills. Sometimes. Actually, I'm just making that up. But it could happen!

I agree with you...sometimes.

I think it is often a combination. Some people are genetically more susceptible for depression, and thus they are more likely to suffer from clinical depression then others.

The same is true with most of medicine. Some people may be genetically prone to heart disease, while others develop heart disease through lifestyle choices (i.e. obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise)

video and computers games teach kids to have very short attention spans...as they now expect stimulus ever few seconds...teachers cant cope with that..in a class room...parents are fucking lazy...kids coming to school not know their basic skills...drugs companies advertise to teachers and parents...child acting out..not his fault..drug the little bastard...they are just more subtle..about it...

we got this bi polar...shit...everybodys kids are bi polar now....make you miss the add and the rest of the alphabet soup....dont teach them the alphabet..diagnoisis them with it...

The Medicated Child

Please watch this PBS report when you have an hour to spare, FRONTLINE: the medicated child | PBS

I’m not a doctor, and neither of my kids was ever suspected of or diagnosed with any type of mental condition. What I do have is some other types of personal involvement, and just some common sense.

My ex-wife was diagnosed as being bi-polar a few years ago. She is currently on medication that allows her to function as a normal adult. I personally just thought that she was an alcoholic prior to the diagnosis, and so did her family, and even herself.
(Just a quick and funny side note to this is that when my oldest daughter was 16 she once told me “Mom is fucking crazy”. That was the first time I ever heard one of my children use the F word.)
My ex-wife was 40 years old before she was eventually diagnosed as being bi-polar. She had been in rehab clinics numerous times and had seen many psychiatrists and psychologists over the years before this diagnosis came about.
So, my question is, how the hell do you diagnose a child as being bi-polar?

I once dated a woman that had both her sons under treatment for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). The boys were 8 and 11, and she had a 6 year old daughter. The daughter was not under medical treatment. My daughters were 9 and 11 at the time. Me having children at that age, I also knew quite few other parents with children in the same age group. Personally, I never thought her boys were much different in behavior than the other boys I knew that were that age. Except when she had them drugged up. Shortly after she gave them their meds, they were like little zombies. In the mornings, prior to them taking their drugs, they were loud, somewhat rambunctious, full of mischief and just plain fun to talk to. Once those meds kicked in, they were completely different children.

Once, when she had to go out of town for a weekend working seminar, I took care of her kids for the weekend. Me, not being in the routine of medicating kids, I forgot to give them their meds Saturday morning. And, I forgot Saturday evening as well. I’m telling you, these boys were not out of control, and didn’t require any special treatment without their drugs. Sunday morning I remembered I was supposed to give them medication. The 11 year old took his medication. I think more out of habit and expectation than for any other reason. But, the 9 year old challenged me. He didn’t want to take the meds. And you know what, he wasn’t just being obstinate. I paraphrase here, but this is what he told me,
I didn’t take my medicine yesterday and nothing bad happened. You didn’t have to spank me for being bad, I didn’t get in fights with my brother or sister. I played nice with the kids across the street. I didn’t yell or scream or throw any temper tantrums. Yesterday was the best day ever, and I want to have another day just like it. I don’t think I can if you make me take those pills.

Damn, I almost cried. And, I didn’t make him take the pills. And he was just fine for the rest of the day.

His mother was pissed at me when she got home Sunday evening and I told her about it. She insisted that he needed the meds to control his behavior. I flat out told her that I couldn’t date somebody that wanted to drug her children into being little zombies just so she didn’t have to be an active, involved and engaged parent. That was the end of our relationship.

So, back to the above linked broadcast. While I certainly believe that some children do have emotional and mental issues that need to be treated, I am also firmly of the opinion that in today’s current environment, childhood emotional and mental issues are being extremely overly diagnosed and treated. What the hell has changed since I was 10 years old? 35 years ago there were almost no kids being drugged for ADHD, or, as they simply called it back then, hyperactivity.

I’ll probably get some shit for this, but dammit, we as a society need to quit drugging our children and start being parents. You can’t throw your kids into the easy-bake oven of life and expect them to turn out like some sort of celluloid hero.

My oldest son's first diagnoses was ADHD, now it's Asperger's Syndrome. In first grade, without the medication, he couldn't sit still for 5 minutes, I know, I went and observed. With the medication, he was much better behaved. I didn't give him the medication over any of the breaks or the weekends, only during school when he would have to sit and pay attention. By 3rd grade, he was developing facial ticks, I discovered the medication he was on could cause tourette's syndrom so I took him off it. He hasn't been on medication since.

I don't think most parents medicate their children unnecessarily. Believe me, it was a difficult decision for me. It was just as difficult deciding to take him off his meds. At this point in time, neither of my autistic children are on regular meds, but I do have some anti psychotic medication for my youngest when he gets upset. Trust me, you don't want to see a temper tantrum by a 240 pound 6 ft tall 2 year old.

Oh, and boy are more than 4 times as likely to suffer from neurobiological disorders like ADHD and autism than girls.

The Medicated Child

Please watch this PBS report when you have an hour to spare, FRONTLINE: the medicated child | PBS

I’m not a doctor, and neither of my kids was ever suspected of or diagnosed with any type of mental condition. What I do have is some other types of personal involvement, and just some common sense.

My ex-wife was diagnosed as being bi-polar a few years ago. She is currently on medication that allows her to function as a normal adult. I personally just thought that she was an alcoholic prior to the diagnosis, and so did her family, and even herself.
(Just a quick and funny side note to this is that when my oldest daughter was 16 she once told me “Mom is fucking crazy”. That was the first time I ever heard one of my children use the F word.)
My ex-wife was 40 years old before she was eventually diagnosed as being bi-polar. She had been in rehab clinics numerous times and had seen many psychiatrists and psychologists over the years before this diagnosis came about.

I once dated a woman that had both her sons under treatment for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). The boys were 8 and 11, and she had a 6 year old daughter. The daughter was not under medical treatment. My daughters were 9 and 11 at the time. Me having children at that age, I also knew quite few other parents with children in the same age group. Personally, I never thought her boys were much different in behavior than the other boys I knew that were that age. Except when she had them drugged up. Shortly after she gave them their meds, they were like little zombies. In the mornings, prior to them taking their drugs, they were loud, somewhat rambunctious, full of mischief and just plain fun to talk to. Once those meds kicked in, they were completely different children.

Once, when she had to go out of town for a weekend working seminar, I took care of her kids for the weekend. Me, not being in the routine of medicating kids, I forgot to give them their meds Saturday morning. And, I forgot Saturday evening as well. I’m telling you, these boys were not out of control, and didn’t require any special treatment without their drugs. Sunday morning I remembered I was supposed to give them medication. The 11 year old took his medication. I think more out of habit and expectation than for any other reason. But, the 9 year old challenged me. He didn’t want to take the meds. And you know what, he wasn’t just being obstinate. I paraphrase here, but this is what he told me,
I didn’t take my medicine yesterday and nothing bad happened. You didn’t have to spank me for being bad, I didn’t get in fights with my brother or sister. I played nice with the kids across the street. I didn’t yell or scream or throw any temper tantrums. Yesterday was the best day ever, and I want to have another day just like it. I don’t think I can if you make me take those pills.

Damn, I almost cried. And, I didn’t make him take the pills. And he was just fine for the rest of the day.

His mother was pissed at me when she got home Sunday evening and I told her about it. She insisted that he needed the meds to control his behavior. I flat out told her that I couldn’t date somebody that wanted to drug her children into being little zombies just so she didn’t have to be an active, involved and engaged parent. That was the end of our relationship.

So, back to the above linked broadcast. While I certainly believe that some children do have emotional and mental issues that need to be treated, I am also firmly of the opinion that in today’s current environment, childhood emotional and mental issues are being extremely overly diagnosed and treated. What the hell has changed since I was 10 years old? 35 years ago there were almost no kids being drugged for ADHD, or, as they simply called it back then, hyperactivity.

I’ll probably get some shit for this, but dammit, we as a society need to quit drugging our children and start being parents. You can’t throw your kids into the easy-bake oven of life and expect them to turn out like some sort of celluloid hero.

My oldest son's first diagnoses was ADHD, now it's Asperger's Syndrome. In first grade, without the medication, he couldn't sit still for 5 minutes, I know, I went and observed. With the medication, he was much better behaved. I didn't give him the medication over any of the breaks or the weekends, only during school when he would have to sit and pay attention. By 3rd grade, he was developing facial ticks, I discovered the medication he was on could cause tourette's syndrom so I took him off it. He hasn't been on medication since.

I don't think most parents medicate their children unnecessarily. Believe me, it was a difficult decision for me. It was just as difficult deciding to take him off his meds. At this point in time, neither of my autistic children are on regular meds, but I do have some anti psychotic medication for my youngest when he gets upset. Trust me, you don't want to see a temper tantrum by a 240 pound 6 ft tall 2 year old.

Oh, and boy are more than 4 times as likely to suffer from neurobiological disorders like ADHD and autism than girls.

Sorry--apparently some think you are just a lazy mother who is abusing her children.

Medication for physical ailment fine, but psychological ailments of children should NEVER be given to them, ever. I am a strong advocate against giving psych meds to children for a very good reason, it's what fucked me up. I was 15, a rebellious teen like most others, but my mother somehow convinced the psych doctors I had schizophrenia ... and they forced me to take the meds in spite of a lack of understanding of that problem at the time, and in spite of the fact that that's a critical time in a childs development for their brain. The medication caused my brain to malform, and I developed social disorders soon after, which kept getting worse because of work but that's another story.

It's not safe, it's not healthy, and it will ruin almost every childs life when they become adults. Say no to drugs.

Medication for physical ailment fine, but psychological ailments of children should NEVER be given to them, ever. I am a strong advocate against giving psych meds to children for a very good reason, it's what fucked me up. I was 15, a rebellious teen like most others, but my mother somehow convinced the psych doctors I had schizophrenia ... and they forced me to take the meds in spite of a lack of understanding of that problem at the time, and in spite of the fact that that's a critical time in a childs development for their brain. The medication caused my brain to malform, and I developed social disorders soon after, which kept getting worse because of work but that's another story.

It's not safe, it's not healthy, and it will ruin almost every childs life when they become adults. Say no to drugs.

KK--what happens to YOU is not an indicator of what happens to everyone else.

The Medicated Child

Sorry--apparently some think you are just a lazy mother who is abusing her children.

most likely...

I wonder if their have been studies of the correlation of the high diagnosis of ADHD/ADD, even bi polar disorder, and the advent of electronic devices, such as video games, computer games, et el.....

I am a firm believer in behavior modification for children, instead of drugging them in most cases.

I agree. I'm sure there is a high correlation with at least ADHD and TVs, computers, etc, as well as lack of reading.

Unless the child is doing something intelligent (not just searching for information but actual work) with technology, I would say limit their time on it. Though if they form a hobby (other than playing video games) let them have more time. It's the lack of brain activity that causes the problems from these things. Of course they also need to "get outside" enough to be physically healthy as well.

I wonder if their have been studies of the correlation of the high diagnosis of ADHD/ADD, even bi polar disorder, and the advent of electronic devices, such as video games, computer games, et el.....

I am a firm believer in behavior modification for children, instead of drugging them in most cases.

I agree. I'm sure there is a high correlation with at least ADHD and TVs, computers, etc, as well as lack of reading.

Unless the child is doing something intelligent (not just searching for information but actual work) with technology, I would say limit their time on it. Though if they form a hobby (other than playing video games) let them have more time. It's the lack of brain activity that causes the problems from these things. Of course they also need to "get outside" enough to be physically healthy as well.

Of course they also need to "get outside"
---she adds like an afterthought. No shit sherlock

no one was saying that about or to againshelia and you know that duckie...

too many kids are drugged in the us...we have the highest rate of drugging kids in the world...now why is that...is our society that toxic? arent you basically drugging a developing brain?

I'm just talking about the acute pain that you experience. That is a chemical imbalance. But we don't measure any blood tests to prove it.

There are lots of disorders that we measure blood work to diagnose. There are also lots of disorders that we assess clinical findings to diagnose. High cholesterol is an example of the former and high blood pressure is an example of the latter.

And for each "chemical imbalance" there are chemicals that can and have been measured...but in a day to day clinical setting, these lab test would be too costly or invasive to perform, but instead have been correlated with clinical findings.

However, I don't really need to spend any more time explaining anything to you, because you are eots. Any discussion with you is a certified waste of time.

you have not explained jack shit to anyone ...thats a complete lie...you are liying if you say there are such test that have mesured chemicals but its not practical in a clinic setting...total.. FALSE...WHY WOULD YOU LIE LIKE THAT...

Last edited:

KK--what happens to YOU is not an indicator of what happens to everyone else.

No, however it is one reason I now know about this subject. I require all doctors now to tell me everything about any diagnosis they make on me, and I mean everything. This is what they found. The childs brain during teen years goes through a lot of physical changes, and chemicals will alter or disrupt these changes in unpredictable ways, thus causing their brains to make the connections incorrectly. Recently I caught a report about this very topic, wish I had saved the link now since it's buried under so many other links it could be back in page 500 of the Google results by now. But it explained it better than I could. It's also the primary reason for keeping the smoking and drinking ages at no lower than 18, the average age in which all such changes end. It was shown to be the reason why all teens, no matter how well behaved, wind up being rebellious in some way and why they are irrational so often during this time in their lives. There are some extreme exceptions, however those are diagnosed long before the teens and even then, most should never receive any psych meds at all and should be rediagnosed after their brains "settle".

you have not explained jack shit to anyone ...thats a complete lie...you are liying if you say there are such test that have mesured chemicals but its not practical in a clinic setting...total.. FALSE...WHY WOULD YOU LIE LIKE THAT...

ScienceDirect - Clinical Therapeutics : Does pretreatment testing for serotonin transporter polymorphisms lead to earlier effects of drug treatment in patients with major depression? A decision-analytic model

Of course they also need to "get outside"
---she adds like an afterthought. No shit sherlock

... and your point? I was simply letting it be known I was not forgetting the importance of physical activity, why is this wrong?

No physiological test for mental illness
The fundamental problem is that although we know a lot about the biomedical etiology of neurological disorders, we still fathom embarrassingly little about the biology of the major mental illnesses. And even the burgeoning understanding of genetic and metabolic risk factors has not translated into clinically useful tests or cures. Modern technology has not produced a single blood test or brain scan that can be routinely used to diagnose depression, bipolar disease, schizophrenia or other common mental illnesses. American Scientist Vol. 90. p. 569

https://www.thebereancall.org/node/119

Forum List

Back