The Media, Myths, Reality, and Obama.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I just got through watching Tina Brown discuss President Obama on Charlie Rose's television program. Brown was speaking about the image she now has of President Obama, being lost or not being able to tell the public what it is he wants or where he stands.

Brown went on to say Obama did very well with connecting with the public during the election--he knew all the right things to say at the right moments. Charlie Rose didn't raise one question or register a reaction at this idea. Here is where I shake my head in bewilderment at the media and how what they see is at odds with reality as I see it.

I remember the primary very well. I remember the crowds and the hype; I remember the fierce battles; I remember the nitty gritty, down and dirty politics all the candidates waged behind their plastic personas of civility and clean politics; I remember that by the time the Democratic party primary was called, Hillary Clinton had actually gotten more of the popular vote than Obama did.

President Obama won the primary with a strategy that went beyond getting the popular vote. Obama, barely won the Democratic primary. His popularity among voters was never as high as his popularity among the media, or even among his opponents and enemies.

Is it no wonder Obama was cautious about taking a stand on specifics of a health care bill?

Is it any wonder that Obama is not really connecting with the public today, connecting as well as the media thinks he did during the primary? Obama never did connect with most voters.

that said, I like the guy. I think his change was not being a Bush or a Clinton. I think his inexperience shows.

don't blame me, I voted Hillary.

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Obama is allowing the Republicans to control the message. They spout half-truths and misinformation and pay no penalty. He has been weak at connecting to the American people
The other "Great Communicator" Ronald Reagan served with a Democratic Congress. He could go on TV, talk to the people and the next day Congressmen were afraid to vote against the President.

Obama needs to dig in and get dirty

Obama is allowing the Republicans to control the message. They spout half-truths and misinformation and pay no penalty. He has been weak at connecting to the American people
The other "Great Communicator" Ronald Reagan served with a Democratic Congress. He could go on TV, talk to the people and the next day Congressmen were afraid to vote against the President.

Obama needs to dig in and get dirty

Right. And Obama has ssaid he's studied Reagan. I'm starting to wonder if I was right all along about the Big O. Maybe he's just an effete Harvard educated intellectual with disdain and contempt for his fellow man? If so, I do like him so. :lol:

but he's a weak leader. he suffers from hubris. arrogance I can take. hubris is a killer. worse than gout, or so I hear.

I remember the primary very well. I remember the crowds and the hype; I remember the fierce battles; I remember the nitty gritty, down and dirty politics all the candidates waged behind their plastic personas of civility and clean politics; I remember that by the time the Democratic party primary was called, Hillary Clinton had actually gotten more of the popular vote than Obama did.

President Obama won the primary with a strategy that went beyond getting the popular vote. Obama, barely won the Democratic primary. His popularity among voters was never as high as his popularity among the media, or even among his opponents and enemies.

Is it no wonder Obama was cautious about taking a stand on specifics of a health care bill?

Is it any wonder that Obama is not really connecting with the public today, connecting as well as the media thinks he did during the primary? Obama never did connect with most voters.

that said, I like the guy. I think his change was not being a Bush or a Clinton. I think his inexperience shows.

No, you "remember" the MEDIA hype and spin you want to believe. Obama won the popular vote in the Dem primary by +41,622 votes.

RealClearPolitics - 2008 Elections - Democratic Vote Count

2008 Democratic Popular Vote
Obama 17,535,458
Clinton 17,493,836

Last edited:

No, you "remember" the MEDIA hype and spin you want to believe. Obama won the popular vote in the Dem primary by +41,622 votes.

RealClearPolitics - 2008 Elections - Democratic Vote Count

2008 Democratic Popular Vote
Obama 17,535,458
Clinton 17,493,836

as I recall the primary was called in June. Even if you use your numbers (when were they determined?) Obama barely won the Dem primary....barely.

The point of my post wasn't that Obama didn't win the pop vote, it was that the media and others keep living in a fantasy world where Obama was a great speaker who had the pulse of the American voter...knowing just what to say to win over the public.

Obama barely won the Dem primary and he did so with limited support for his words...his important words, words that were supposed to mean something.

2008popularvote.JPG

wow! A landslide.

*smirk

hmmm the leftists turning on Obama already. This may be an interesting few years after all.

Forum List

Back