The main problem with education

You said "it's more complicated than that" and in my opinion it's not.

Agreed; Total Emersion = The language is spoken at home

No, not necessarily.

I supose there's always the possibility the child's is an orphan, or locked out of their home and raised by wolves, or kidnapped in a foreign country until they are an adult.

You're really contributing to the thread: Thanks for considering the 0.01% possibilities. Very helpful.

It isn't politically correct to say so, but the main problem with education is the parents.

Most parents want their children to "have a childhood" and not have to do too much homework. Most parents don't push their children to learn as much as possible. Most parents want their children to go to college so they can get a good job, but they don't believe that learning knowledge per see is important, and don't teach their children that learning knowledge is important.

So of course, children, egged on by the attitudes of their parents, try to get out of actually learning anything, and the children are successful in resisting school and teachers.

Some people push their children to do well in school, and those children then do well, even when a school isn't very good. New Asian immigrant parents especially push their children to do well in school, and Asian children tend to be at the top in their classes.

Jim

That may be. However, why is it that teachers Unions fight against putting this to the test? If parents are the number one barrier to a child's success, and they may be, then why does the left fight against charter schools and vouchers that will prove/disprove/bring clarity to this thesis?

It isn't politically correct to say so, but the main problem with education is the parents.

Most parents want their children to "have a childhood" and not have to do too much homework. Most parents don't push their children to learn as much as possible. Most parents want their children to go to college so they can get a good job, but they don't believe that learning knowledge per see is important, and don't teach their children that learning knowledge is important.

So of course, children, egged on by the attitudes of their parents, try to get out of actually learning anything, and the children are successful in resisting school and teachers.

Some people push their children to do well in school, and those children then do well, even when a school isn't very good. New Asian immigrant parents especially push their children to do well in school, and Asian children tend to be at the top in their classes.

Jim

That may be. However, why is it that teachers Unions fight against putting this to the test? If parents are the number one barrier to a child's success, and they may be, then why does the left fight against charter schools and vouchers that will prove/disprove/bring clarity to this thesis?

How would giving a voucher to all parents prove that any childern are more or less influanced by their parents involvement in their education?

Yes, its all the parents fault our kids get a lousy education. Its never the government's fault. Never ever, nowhere in the USA can you blame an over-sized liberal progressive government education on school failures.

Kids are most receptive to learning new languages between 3 and 6 years old, and "total immersion" is the best way to learn languages.

It's a little more complicated than that.

How so?

The Critical Period is generally considered as lasting until puberty. And the idea that adults can't learn languages well is a misconception. In addition, "immersion" can mean different things depending on the individual and the situation.

So, it's a little more complicated.

It's a little more complicated than that.

How so?

The Critical Period is generally considered as lasting until puberty. And the idea that adults can't learn languages well is a misconception. In addition, "immersion" can mean different things depending on the individual and the situation.

I think you need to read the original claim again.

I did. I even quoted it in the post above.

I did. I even quoted it in the post above.

Then there is nothing false or "more complicated" about it. You are introducing variables that were not included in the original point.

What language did you learn for your degree in linguistics?

Forum List

Back