The Latest: Feds seize evidence in fatal boat fire probe

Frannie

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2019
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7b6eac-d363-11e9-8924-1db7dac797fb_story.html

Argue all you want, the criminal investigation continues

LOS ANGELES — The Latest on the deadly scuba diving boat fire off the California coast (all times local):

5:45 p.m.

Authorities have recovered a trove of information as they build a possible criminal case against a scuba diving boat company whose vessel caught fire and sank off the Southern California coast, killing 34 people.

A law enforcement official with knowledge of the evidence collected under search warrants in Santa Barbara told The Associated Press on Monday that electronics, employee and training records, and business documents were seized. The official said authorities also collected records listing previous patrons of Truth Aquatics Inc. and that investigators plan to interview them regarding safety protocols during their trips.

The source was not authorized to speak publicly and commented on the condition of anonymity.

Federal agents raided the office of Truth Aquatics and its two remaining vessels on Sunday. Investigators want to know if the captain and boat owners followed safety requirements.

___

1:22 p.m.

U.S. authorities are conducting a criminal investigation into the fiery dive boat disaster that killed 34 people off the coast of California.

Two federal officials with knowledge of the probe told The Associated Press on Monday the FBI, Coast Guard and U.S. attorney in Los Angeles are overseeing the investigation.

The two people were not authorized to speak publicly and commented on condition of anonymity.

Investigators have been gathering evidence, including interviewing the captain and four surviving crew members, since the Sept. 2 tragedy.

Authorities are looking into various safety issues, including whether a night watchman was on duty when the blaze broke out before dawn.

Federal agents Sunday raided the office of the boat’s owner, Truth Aquatics Inc. in Santa Barbara, and its two remaining vessels.

• Banned
"Anonymous" source...
The FBI will be interviewing past patrons of the doomed ship to see is there were life vest and escape drills...……………

Why are you defending the slaughter of 34 people?

"Anonymous" source...
The FBI will be interviewing past patrons of the doomed ship to see is there were life vest and escape drills...……………

Did you die on that boat? Unfortunately "no"... Therefore my mockery of you, bears no reflection of my feelings toward the victims of this tragedy. The fact that you wish to attach yourself to the victims in such a manner would be hilarious, if it weren't so desperately pathetic...

• Banned
"Anonymous" source...

Did you die on that boat? Unfortunately "no"... Therefore my mockery of you, bears no reflection of my feelings toward the victims of this tragedy. The fact that you wish to attach yourself to the victims in such a manner would be hilarious, if it weren't so desperately pathetic...
If you choose to mock those looking for answers to the worst massacre of this type in peacetime ever. Let your conscious be your guide, mine serves me well.

AGAIN ENTIRE FAMILIES BURNED TO DEATH...………………………………………….

REALLY

"Anonymous" source...

If you choose to mock those looking for answers to the worst massacre of this type in peacetime ever. Let your conscious be your guide, mine serves me well.

REALLY
You're a joke, just like your your anonymous source... Both worthy of mockery.

• Banned
"Anonymous" source...

REALLY
You're a joke, just like your your anonymous source... Both worthy of mockery.
If charges are brought, prosecutors are likely to apply an obscure federal law known as the Seaman's Manslaughter Statute, which predates the Civil War and was enacted to punish negligent captains, engineers and pilots for deadly steamboat accidents that killed thousands.

The crime carries a potential penalty of up to 10 years in prison and sets a low bar for prosecutors, who only need to prove simple negligence or misconduct on the part of the captain or crew.

The law can also be extended to an executive of a company that owns a vessel who engages in "fraud, neglect, connivance, misconduct, or violation of law" that takes a life. That is harder to prove and used less frequently, said attorney Kierstan Carlson, who advises maritime clients to expect a criminal investigation in the case of deaths.

Criminal Probe Launched Into Dive Boat Fire; Focus Will Be on Possible Safety Lapses: Sources

043b16a80783f9e260aed1f1078d25ba.jpg

Forum List

Back