The Language of the Unheard

So now are we going to hear louder denials of modern white racism because black cops killed a black citizen? Are we now supposed to forget over 200 years of white police murdering blacks dating back to slave patrols? Are we now going to pretend like you guys do with crime, that the thousands of blacks murdered by white cops during this country's history don't count?

So much for "Systemic Racism" in Police departments being the reason for these terrible events.
What this incident illustrates is the toxicity of the police culture and training.

The militarization of police forces have turned what used to be peace officers interested in serving the people of the community and actually making lives better into what is tantamount to an occupying force who views the people in the community as enemies to be subdued.

5 Memphis ex-police are charged with murder and jailed over the death of Tyre Nichols​

untitled-design-1--a62b8d5f9a1f97981d30f16acf65130a8d2ecadb-s1100-c50.jpg

Five former Memphis police officers have been indicted and jailed in the beating death of Tyre Nichols, who died days after a traffic stop on Jan. 7.

Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills Jr. and Justin Smith each face several charges, including second-degree murder, aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

Like Nichols, all of the fired officers are Black.

On Wednesday, Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis released a video statement discussing "the horrific circumstances" of Nichols' death. She called it a professional failing and said "the incident was heinous, reckless and inhumane."

“Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non¬-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I’m absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results.

But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segment of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.”

These words are from a speech by Martin Luther King given on March 14, 1968. It was titled, “The Other America.” Today there are people in the white community who still do not listen.

When Colin Kaepernick took a knee in silence and peace to protest the very thing we saw in Memphis, members of a very trifling section of the white community condemned him and everybody else for peacefully protesting the violence. So maybe it's time for members in that part of the white community to be quiet. King said that riots are the language of the unheard and when 5 black cops think they can murder another black citizen and nothing will happen, that's the definition of a nation that has refused to listen.

I saw the video and I am seeing protests beginning to mobilize in various cities. Hopefully, we don't get people who spend all their time looking for riots instead of looking at what caused them. And for those on the right who will inevitably run their mouths if a riot happens, all I can say is please be quiet. You guys committed an insurrection about something a man made up, you committed violence for no reason, you have nothing to say about people who have seen police murder people time after time, people who have asked for police reform, but no one listened.
Kaepernick is full of crap. He knows blacks are not oppressed in America. Actually, the situation is exactly the opposite. Blacks are BENEFICIARIES of Affirmative Action privileges, which they receive, while whites are discriminated against in these programs.

If anybody is racially oppressed, it is whites. Blacks get college admissions, college financial aid, jobs, job promotions, business loans, all of which are denied to whites.

George Floyd was not murdered, he did not die of asphyxiation from police. This was verified by the county Medical Examiner, who was bullied, intimidated, and coerced to report it as asphixiation.

You are the one pretending. Systemic Racism has not existed in America since the 80s. Gone. Bye Bye. SOME individual racists of all colors remain. I was horrified to see what those cops did to that man, apparently two of them had a record of brutality.
Systemic racism against blacks may have evaporated, but systemic racism is alive & well against whites. It is overflowing on college campuses where whites are denied privileges (admission, financial aid, etc) which are freely give only to blacks.

Then there is CRT, which insanely teaches kids that whites are inherently racist and evil, and that blacks are oppressed now, which is ridiculous, as they are beneficiaries of Affirmative Action, of which whites are the discriminated-against victims.

Then there is Biden's American Rescue Plan, which ought to be renamed as ARP as long as you're not white. Thankfully, the courts have been shutting these racist schemes down.

Systemic racism against blacks may have evaporated, but systemic racism is alive & well against whites. It is overflowing on college campuses where whites are denied privileges (admission, financial aid, etc) which are freely give only to blacks.

Then there is CRT, which insanely teaches kids that whites are inherently racist and evil, and that blacks are oppressed now, which is ridiculous, as they are beneficiaries of Affirmative Action, of which whites are the discriminated-against victims.

Then there is Biden's American Rescue Plan, which ought to be renamed as ARP as long as you're not white. Thankfully, the courts have been shutting these racist schemes down.
Good point, and you could include Asians also in the new version of "Systemic Racism" being practiced today in college admissions.

Forum List

Back