The kids know more than we think

Brain mapping, as it is called, shows that during cursive writing both the right and left hemispheres of the brain are active. This is something that is not present either while keyboarding or writing in print

This happens in other brain endeavors as well with much more real-world application than cursive currently has.

You really are an idiot.

Read the links I have provided and learn something

I already have, and am ahead of you. Yes, I realize cursive does this. So do many other endeavors with actual real-world application. Since, you know, no one really needs to write in cursive anymore.

I already have, and am ahead of you. Yes, I realize cursive does this. So do many other endeavors with actual real-world application. Since, you know, no one really needs to write in cursive anymore.

So learning in a classroom isn't the real world?

What happens when the apocalypse comes and no one knows how to make their own buggy whip? And what happened to classes on how to shoe a horse? Damn kids wasting time with math and science and history when they have no idea how to make their own butter!

I am talking about the retention of what's taught in a classroom.

You are correct, writing does help retain material. Once children are writers there is no reason to go on to teach them cursive. Teach them print, then fluent keyboarding, which they also need. I can't believe how many adults are terrible, terrible typists.

What happens when the apocalypse comes and no one knows how to make their own buggy whip? And what happened to classes on how to shoe a horse? Damn kids wasting time with math and science and history when they have no idea how to make their own butter!

Ask me how I know you're old?

You harp on cursive

When was the last time you were in an actual classroom?
I am usually taking a class in something.

If i can't do it at a local college I take online classes in subjects I am interested in.

And what's that got to do with the research that proves taking notes in cursive is the best method for knowledge retention?

You just can't admit that you're wrong

You are correct, writing does help retain material. Once children are writers there is no reason to go on to teach them cursive. Teach them print, then fluent keyboarding, which they also need. I can't believe how many adults are terrible, terrible typists.
Block printing is not as good as cursive for retention.

Typing is the worst method for retention.

WHat do you not understand about this?

So learning in a classroom isn't the real world?

I honestly think the "writing helps you retain information" harkens back to when students had two choices: you can either sit and listen to the teacher yammer on and on, or you can sit and listen to the teacher yammer on and on AND TAKE NOTES!!

Wow...stellar learning environment. Yes.

Or, maybe there are other options? Maybe sometimes you can write crap down but OTHER times you can actually create things from learning. WHOA

Block printing is not as good as cursive for retention.

Typing is the worst method for retention.

WHat do you not understand about this?

The gain for the pain is barely worth the effort, this is what I'm telling you. There are other much more interesting, educationally rich ways to get that gain without teaching children an obsolete method of communication. Hello?

I honestly think the "writing helps you retain information" harkens back to when students had two choices: you can either sit and listen to the teacher yammer on and on, or you can sit and listen to the teacher yammer on and on AND TAKE NOTES!!

Wow...stellar learning environment. Yes.

Or, maybe there are other options? Maybe sometimes you can write crap down but OTHER times you can actually create things from learning. WHOA
If you don't retain the knowledge you don't learn.

If you don't learn you can't create things from that knowledge.

You just can't admit you have decided to obsess over a minor, insignificant issue and that the only thing you really know about education is what you googled two minutes ago.

We handle this in my district by teaching cursive in third grade for like two weeks. That way, when grandparents harp on it, we can "yes, we teach cursive"....(sigh)

You just can't admit you have decided to obsess over a minor, insignificant issue and that the only thing you really know about education is what you googled two minutes ago.
OK a you're a "teacher" who is flat out disagreeing with scientific proof.

So you post on a message board during a school hours and you refuse to believe data presented with the proof to back it up.

If you're a teacher, I'm the fucking president

We handle this in my district by teaching cursive in third grade for like two weeks. That way, when grandparents harp on it, we can "yes, we teach cursive"....(sigh)
So show me the proof that cursive isn't the best way to take notes in class for retention

If you don't retain the knowledge you don't learn.

If you don't learn you can't create things from that knowledge.

Oooooohhh THAT's how learning happens. Oh, right. So all those years I had those bad teachers who yammered on and on, I took notes in cursive, crammed the knowledge in my short term memory, puked it out on a test, and promptly forgot it. WHOA, right, who knew?

Forum List

Back