The idea that if you don’t have a good chance of winning, you shouldn’t prosecute.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas

Is that an established principle of law? Not saying that it doesn’t make sense, but I’m wondering if that is an absolute?

Impeachments are not prosecutions, but it is obvious in both the Clinton impeachment and the two Trump impeachments, that the fact that it would be virtually impossible to get a conviction/removal was not a factor. I doubt it was a factor in the first impeachment that of President Johnson, more than 100 years ago.

But isn’t it pretty common for prosecutors to prosecute, shaky cases, and hopes of negotiating, a plea bargain with a defendant, who is only 60% sure he will be found not guilty?

Is that an established principle of law? Not saying that it doesn’t make sense, but I’m wondering if that is an absolute?

Impeachments are not prosecutions, but it is obvious in both the Clinton impeachment and the two Trump impeachments, that the fact that it would be virtually impossible to get a conviction/removal was not a factor. I doubt it was a factor in the first impeachment that of President Johnson, more than 100 years ago.

But isn’t it pretty common for prosecutors to prosecute, shaky cases, and hopes of negotiating, a plea bargain with a defendant, who is only 60% sure he will be found not guilty?
All this is being taken out of a full context.

good luck

run with it

next

Forum List

Back