The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now twice the size of Texas

We have a problem with trash on South Padre National Seashore here in Texas.
And damn near every scrap comes from third world shitholes.

The one unexplained item that baffles me?
Dildos.....I shit you not,you'll see hundreds of the damn things on a sixty mile long stretch of beach after a storm blows through.

The one useful piece of trash you'll find is hardhats.
They're great for taking a dump in while camping.

[........
Much of the climate change literature speaks about the need for effective population control.

Much of it is nonsense.
Well...less babies=less trash. No disputing that.

That's why I'm for late term abortions. Very late term. Over 60 years old? Sorry, but you gotta go.

Hey!

Sixty is the new 40!

Or haven’t you heard?

Snotnose punk kid!

That's just what elderly people say so that they aren't exiled to the desert where they belong.
Exile me now!...just keep sending the beer truck.

I doubt if any of my plastic trash is out there. I live a long ways inland, and the prevailing winds blow from west to east.

The biggest reason my plastic trash isnt out there is that I burn it. I burn all my trash and bag up whats left and drop it in a dumpster in town.

We're not allowed to have fires in the Bay Area, but are required to separate trash into landfill, recycle-ables, and compost. I've heard that there is no market for a lot of the stuff we are forced to recycle.

Dildos.....I shit you not,you'll see hundreds of the damn things on a sixty mile long stretch of beach after a storm blows through.

Hey! They aren't "shitholes". The proper terminology is "happiness challenged".

it's growing exponentially.
Well, it sure is....

41598_2018_22939_Fig6_HTML.jpg

Decadal evolution of microplastic concentration in the GPGP. Mean (circles) and standard error (whiskers) of microplastic mass concentrations measured by surface net tows conducted in different decades, within (light blue) and around (dark grey) the GPGP. Dashed lines are exponential fits to the averages expressed in g km−2: f(x) = exp(a*x) + b, with xexpressed in number of years after 1900, a = 0.06121, b = 151.3, R2 = 0.92 for within GPGP and a = 0.04903, b = −7.138, R2 = 0.78 for around the GPGP.

I saw a full sized refrigerator half submerged in the sand in Thailand.
I once saw a guy unload a dumpster full of garbage over a sea wall in Peru.
I have seen canals in Manila that were so packed with trash that when it rained they overflowed into the villages that lined them.
I have pics of that somewhere.
The rules only apply to us. I have seen it firsthand.

Wait til you hit 60...
Much of it is nonsense.

That's why I'm for late term abortions. Very late term. Over 60 years old? Sorry, but you gotta go.
Exactly...at 60 I wanna be in Thailand fishing on the Mekong. I dont want to 'go clear'...lol!

You don't want to fish out of the Mekong.
I sure do, In beautiful Loei Province. Me and the Mekong just chillin till the next life. Don't worry...I wont keep anything. It will all go back from whence it came. I don't need that karma.

Wait til you hit 60...

Exactly...at 60 I wanna be in Thailand fishing on the Mekong. I dont want to 'go clear'...lol!

I sure do, In beautiful Loei Province. Me and the Mekong just chillin till the next life. Don't worry...I wont keep anything. It will all go back from whence it came. I don't need that karma.

You don't need that poisoning.

Wait til you hit 60...

You don't need that poisoning.
Well we can blame the Chinese primarily for upper Mekong Issues. With the exception of the Japanese, Asians in general have no concept of conservation. It really is very sad. The Thai range from pathetic to infuriating the way they treat their nature.
I could go on for days but...meh.

Dildos.....

There'd be more if sharks hadn't eaten the ones with blood on them.

The only thing I can figure is they're coming off of container ships.
I wont make accusation unfounded but what else could it be?

That's probably a large part of it, but also a ton of fishing nets and buoys, hurricane junk, flood junk that gets washed out to sea, garbage off of beaches etc.

What we should do is organize a multi-national task force to clean it all up. But neither this congress nor Trump honestly cares.

Most of 'em probably haven't even heard of it. Sad :(

Dildos.....

There'd be more if sharks hadn't eaten the ones with blood on them.

The only thing I can figure is they're coming off of container ships.
I wont make accusation unfounded but what else could it be?

That's probably a large part of it, but also a ton of fishing nets and buoys, hurricane junk, flood junk that gets washed out to sea, garbage off of beaches etc.

What we should do is organize a multi-national task force to clean it all up. But neither this congress nor Trump honestly cares.

Most of 'em probably haven't even heard of it. Sad :(

There's no trash being washed off of PINS.
It's in the middle of nowhere and the majority is from ships.
upload_2018-3-26_9-43-27.png

upload_2018-3-26_9-44-36.png

Apparently this is a problem in Italy as well

Dozens Of Dildos Have Washed Up On An Italian Beach

I saw a full sized refrigerator half submerged in the sand in Thailand.
I once saw a guy unload a dumpster full of garbage over a sea wall in Peru.
I have seen canals in Manila that were so packed with trash that when it rained they overflowed into the villages that lined them.
I have pics of that somewhere.
The rules only apply to us. I have seen it firsthand.

Fair point, although I remember going fishing with my Dad on charter boats to Channel Islands off SoCal as a kid in the mid-late 60s and watching the deckhands toss ginormous cans of garbage right into the ocean on the trip back. They don't do that anymore - but much of that trash is still around.

Forum List

Back