The Great and Dreadful Day of the Lord

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
Malachi 4:5-6
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

The great and dreadful day of the Lord is the day of Christ's second coming to the earth. For the righteous it will be a great day but for the wicked it will be a dreadful day. Christ will come to cleanse the earth of wickedness and will establish righteousness throughout the world. He will reign personally upon the earth for a thousand years in peace. But when will this second coming be?

Regarding the second coming of the Lord, we won't know the exact day or hour when he shall come.

Matthew 24:36
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

But as the parable of the fig tree tells us, we can know when it is close and that we should be prepared.

Matthew 24:32-33
32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

God shall give us signs of the times. By these signs we shall know that his second coming is near, even at the doors. Matthew 24 is a main chapter which speaks of the second coming of our Lord. The book of Revelation is an entire book dedicated to this topic. But there are many other verses throughout scripture which give us more information. The purpose of this thread is to list and discuss the signs of the times and the scriptures that give us this knowledge.

Regarding the second coming of the Lord, we won't know the exact day or hour when he shall come.

...Matthew 24 is a main chapter which speaks of the second coming of our Lord.
But we do know it came and went already and YOU have been left behind!

Mt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? ...

Mt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

The book of Revelation is an entire book dedicated to this topic.
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John

5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

The great and dreadful day of the Lord is the day of Christ's second coming to the earth. For the righteous it will be a great day but for the wicked it will be a dreadful day. Christ will come to cleanse the earth of wickedness and will establish righteousness throughout the world. He will reign personally upon the earth for a thousand years in peace. But when will this second coming be?

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

But as the parable of the fig tree tells us, we can know when it is close and that we should be prepared.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

God shall give us signs of the times. By these signs we shall know that his second coming is near, even at the doors. Matthew 24 is a main chapter which speaks of the second coming of our Lord. The book of Revelation is an entire book dedicated to this topic. But there are many other verses throughout scripture which give us more information. The purpose of this thread is to list and discuss the signs of the times and the scriptures that give us this knowledge.
You sure this is the place to discuss these things ??

...Matthew 24 is a main chapter which speaks of the second coming of our Lord.
But we do know it came and went already and YOU have been left behind!

Mt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? ...

Mt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

You would think that everyone in the generation when Christ was on the earth has passed away. But that is simply not the case.

John 21:22-23
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

The Apostle John was given the blessing that he should tarry till Jesus comes. The disciples thought that this meant that John should never die, but John clarified that it didn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't die but that he should tarry till Christ comes again. At that point he may or may not die. When Christ comes again, John may die or he may not die. Surely if he dies he will be resurrected in the resurrection of the just. However, he could also be changed in the twinkling of an eye. But one thing is true, he was given the opportunity to tarry upon this earth until Christ's second coming. John himself was the author of the above verses.

Last edited:
I doubt you’ll get that mangled mess of myths, mistranslations and theological contradictions set aside as it’s own ‘Chapter & Verse’ forum section by the moderators.

The book of Revelation is an entire book dedicated to this topic.
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John

A day unto the Lord is a thousand of our years. From the view point of the Lord, I can see that it is to shortly come to pass. When compared to eternity, this whole world's temporal existence is but a drop in a bucket.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Have you guys YouTubed the "Tomorrow's World" broadcast? I haven't found anything half as unique. Like, what you doing honey? Watching my news. Breaking News, when is the Middle East going to attack Europe revealing the Pope as AntiChrist leading to the days of Tribulation for the British descended people, well, gas prices rose in Timbuktu...

I think it is a good thing to discuss with all who wish to discuss it.

To me, one of the biggest keys to understanding when we will be close to the time of the second coming is to understand the book that was sealed with seven seals that John the Apostle saw in the 5th chapter of the book of Revelation.

Revelation 5
John sees the book sealed with seven seals, and he sees those people redeemed out of every nation—He hears every creature praising God and the Lamb.

1 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.

4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

The importance of this book cannot be overstated. It is the foundation of many of succeeding chapters of the book of Revelation. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have been given the meaning of the book and the seals with which it was sealed. This is the revelation that we received as to the meaning of the book and its seals:

Doctrine and Covenants 77:6-7
6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.

7 Q. What are we to understand by the seven seals with which it was sealed?
A. We are to understand that the first seal contains the things of the first thousand years, and the second also of the second thousand years, and so on until the seventh.

This revelation tells us that the earth's temporal existence is 7 thousand years. The book that John saw contained the hidden will and mysteries of God during those 7 thousand years of the earth's temporal existence. Each of the 7 seals represent each 7 thousand year period of the earth's temporal existence. This makes sense to me since God created the earth in 7 days (7 of his days is 7 thousand years to us). The millenial era of this earth will be a sabbath and day of rest for this earth which is a thousand years unto us.

The days from Adam until Christ were close to 4000 years. I would guess that it is short of 4000 since we have not yet entered the millennial era. Since the birth of Christ we have recorded nearly 2018 years. 4000 + 2000 would already have given us 6000 years of the earth's temporal existence. My personal belief is that the years from Adam to Christ were 3967 years. If I am right, then the end of the era of the 6th seal (6th thousandth year of the earth's temporal existence) will be in the year 2033. The second coming of Christ, according to Revelation 8, will be after the opening of the 7th seal.

They might say "why does thou servant of the Lord come here to torment us before it is our time" ??? One could then reply "peace be still" for you are here instead to teach those willing to learn, and are then willing to lend an ear, and therefore you are not here to discuss with those who wish to mock and disrupt those teachings in which are to be discussed.

Have you guys YouTubed the "Tomorrow's World" broadcast? I haven't found anything half as unique. Like, what you doing honey? Watching my news. Breaking News, when is the Middle East going to attack Europe revealing the Pope as AntiChrist leading to the days of Tribulation for the British descended people, well, gas prices rose in Timbuktu...

I'll have to check it out.

The history and culture behind the Day of the Lord is that people agreed mankind is so messed up, things can only go downhill--that even another great King like David could only last so long in such a world. The only remedy would be for God to come down, destroy the mess mankind had made, and establish his own rule. This theme became a great topic for apocalyptic literature, the Books of Daniel and Revelation are great examples of this popular type of literature.

Ah, the 7th seal yet again. Amazing how many times it’s been opened.
As to the chunks of chapter and verse being thrown around here how about another one given out of context for you to meditate upon?
“And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie”
2nd Thessalonians Ch: 2.V:11.

The history and culture behind the Day of the Lord is that people agreed mankind is so messed up, things can only go downhill--that even another great King like David could only last so long in such a world. The only remedy would be for God to come down, destroy the mess mankind had made, and establish his own rule. This theme became a great topic for apocalyptic literature, the Books of Daniel and Revelation are great examples of this popular type of literature.
Can we face one ‘truth’ given in scripture you may not want to accept. God’s supposed omniscience means when he granted free will to our species he could not avoid knowing where it would end. He could not have avoided knowing his act would lead to the suffering on the cross of his Son ( who is actually himself if you swallow trinitarian theology whole) - - I could go on but there's enough to meditate upon as it is.

As to the chunks of chapter and verse being thrown around here how about another one given out of context for you to meditate upon?
“And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie”
Are you seeking, and yet are not finding ??? I wonder why ?

I don't believe that the 7th seal has been opened yet. We are still in the 6th seal. The 7th seal is marked as the time when Christ will return to the earth and usher in the millenial era. This is spoken of in the 8th chapter of Revelation and subsequent chapters. Chapters 5 and 6 of Revelation speak of some the events to occur during the 6th seal. Let us go over each seal and see what John was allowed to see.

Regarding the 1st seal which represents 1st thousand year period of this earth's temporal existence, this is what is written:

Revelation 6:1-2
1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

This is all that is mentioned of the 1st seal. This was the period from the fall of Adam and Eve to the end of the first thousand years. John sees and man with a bow and a crown sitting on a white horse. This man went forth conquering and to conquer.

It has been speculated that the man on the horse is the prophet Enoch. Enoch was able to establish a city of righteousness during the first thousand years of this earth's temporal existence. The name of the city which he established was named Zion. So righteous were the people of Zion that eventually God took Enoch and city into heaven. Perhaps because this great era of righteousness he pictured upon a white horse. It is a latter-day sign that a city of Zion again will be established here on the earth and that Enoch's city would eventually come and be with the new Zion which is to be established.

Moses 7:62-64
62 And righteousness will I send down out of heaven; and truth will I send forth out of the earth, to bear testimony of mine Only Begotten; his resurrection from the dead; yea, and also the resurrection of all men; and righteousness and truth will I cause to sweep the earth as with a flood, to gather out mine elect from the four quarters of the earth, unto a place which I shall prepare, an Holy City, that my people may gird up their loins, and be looking forth for the time of my coming; for there shall be my tabernacle, and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem.

63 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Then shalt thou and all thy city meet them there, and we will receive them into our bosom, and they shall see us; and we will fall upon their necks, and they shall fall upon our necks, and we will kiss each other;

64 And there shall be mine abode, and it shall be Zion, which shall come forth out of all the creations which I have made; and for the space of a thousand years the earth shall rest.

timeline.jpg

Can we face one ‘truth’ given in scripture you may not want to accept. God’s supposed omniscience means when he granted free will to our species he could not avoid knowing where it would end. He could not have avoided knowing his act would lead to the suffering on the cross of his Son ( who is actually himself if you swallow trinitarian theology whole) - - I could go on but there's enough to meditate upon as it is.
Omniscience means knowing all there is to know at the time it is knowable. Sometimes we humans make up our own definitions (knowing what is unknowable) and then attribute that definition to God. The Bible does not talk of omniscience. What God noted is that He knows His own plans from beginning to end. Does that mean He knew before the world began Christ would die on the cross? Not necessarily. What He does know is no matter what gets in the way, His own plans will prevail.

Are you seeking, and yet are not finding ??? I wonder why ?
No , I am not ‘seeking’ having found all I need and want without the crutch of an irrational belief system.

Forum List

Back