The GOP and the Markers of Fascism

No, the GOP is not a fascist party. But it is demonstrating nascent fascist markers.

Robert O. Paxton, in his 2004 book The Anatomy of Fascism, provides these hallmarks: ā€œobsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purityā€; involving ā€œa mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elitesā€; which ā€œabandons democratic libertiesā€; and ā€œpursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing. . . .ā€​
These phrases more readily evoke brownshirts on Kristallnacht than fervent Republicans; writing in Vox, Dylan Matthews draws some useful distinctions.​
But consider the predicates of nascent fascism.​
Trump relentlessly exploited a sense of decline, humiliation, and victimization among marginalized whites, even as he evoked Americaā€™s loss of strength and purity. His supportersā€™ ā€œredemptive violenceā€ at our capital was preceded in Michigan, as one example, by armed incursion the state legislature and an abortive effort to kidnap and execute the governor. While claiming to protect democracy, the GOP persistently undermines the right of disfavored groups to vote.​
Though nothing in America equals the predictive virulence of German anti-Semitism, anger at the racial, societal, and religious other animates a goodly portion of the Republican base. Its loathing of supposedly degenerate liberalism provides another linkā€”as does the desire for authoritarian leadership to restore their chosen hierarchy.​
Perhaps most salient is the attack on reality itself. ā€œPost-truth,ā€ writes Timothy Snyder, ā€œis pre-fascism.ā€ Hitler castigated the media as ā€œenemies of the peopleā€; so does Trump and, often, his party. Like the avatars of fascism, Republicans increasingly trumpet mendacious propagandaā€”including about voter fraud.​
Classical fascism conditions its followers to accept ā€œthe big lieā€ which unifies their discontents and justifies their leadersā€™ actions. So, in 2020, did the GOP.​
Granted that the big Republican lie did not equal Hitlerā€™s poisonous assertion that perfidious Jews stabbed Germany in the back. But the GOPā€™s lie to its base was, nonetheless, breathtakingly ambitious: that an unfathomable conspiracy involving thousands of state and local officials and judges, many Republicans, had stolen the presidency from Donald Trumpā€”from them.
To believe this, one must not only distrust an electoral system dispersed across 50 states and countless localitiesā€”and everyone in itā€”but reject an overwhelming amount of easily available evidence and the dictates of common sense. Yet most Republicans did just that. In their collective mind, the GOP was cheated by perfidious forces, and Joe Biden is an illegitimate president. The dangerous myth of political dispossession is now embedded in the Republican narrative. ...​

They arenā€™t fascists?nah. Theyā€™re just ok with them
No, we're not okay with you

ROFL

The democrats are a full blown Nazi Reich, and you post this moronic shit?

The left is in full blown totalitarian mode and tyrannical. Its comical how they always project their own nefarious corrupt activities.
This fails as a red herring fallacy.

The thread is about fascism and the GOP.

There is no fascism and the GOP. Your post fails again. You can't even follow logical critical thought where a variant refers back to the main topic. Unreal.
Some good people: View attachment 449363 View attachment 449364
EVERYONE knows what PRESIDENT Trump really said.

Clinging to that lie only discredits you

No, the GOP is not a fascist party. But it is demonstrating nascent fascist markers.

Robert O. Paxton, in his 2004 book The Anatomy of Fascism, provides these hallmarks: ā€œobsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purityā€; involving ā€œa mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elitesā€; which ā€œabandons democratic libertiesā€; and ā€œpursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing. . . .ā€​
These phrases more readily evoke brownshirts on Kristallnacht than fervent Republicans; writing in Vox, Dylan Matthews draws some useful distinctions.​
Trump relentlessly exploited a sense of decline, humiliation, and victimization among marginalized whites, even as he evoked Americaā€™s loss of strength and purity. His supportersā€™ ā€œredemptive violenceā€ at our capital was preceded in Michigan, as one example, by armed incursion the state legislature and an abortive effort to kidnap and execute the governor. While claiming to protect democracy, the GOP persistently undermines the right of disfavored groups to vote.​
Though nothing in America equals the predictive virulence of German anti-Semitism, anger at the racial, societal, and religious other animates a goodly portion of the Republican base. Its loathing of supposedly degenerate liberalism provides another linkā€”as does the desire for authoritarian leadership to restore their chosen hierarchy.​
Perhaps most salient is the attack on reality itself. ā€œPost-truth,ā€ writes Timothy Snyder, ā€œis pre-fascism.ā€ Hitler castigated the media as ā€œenemies of the peopleā€; so does Trump and, often, his party. Like the avatars of fascism, Republicans increasingly trumpet mendacious propagandaā€”including about voter fraud.​
Classical fascism conditions its followers to accept ā€œthe big lieā€ which unifies their discontents and justifies their leadersā€™ actions. So, in 2020, did the GOP.​
Granted that the big Republican lie did not equal Hitlerā€™s poisonous assertion that perfidious Jews stabbed Germany in the back. But the GOPā€™s lie to its base was, nonetheless, breathtakingly ambitious: that an unfathomable conspiracy involving thousands of state and local officials and judges, many Republicans, had stolen the presidency from Donald Trumpā€”from them.
To believe this, one must not only distrust an electoral system dispersed across 50 states and countless localitiesā€”and everyone in itā€”but reject an overwhelming amount of easily available evidence and the dictates of common sense. Yet most Republicans did just that. In their collective mind, the GOP was cheated by perfidious forces, and Joe Biden is an illegitimate president. The dangerous myth of political dispossession is now embedded in the Republican narrative. ...​

Burningly salient points particularly about outright denial of Reality, from which all else flows.

I submit however that these analyses refer to Trumpism rather than the Republican Party. Maybe I'm optimistic but I still distinguish markedly between the two. A political party and a personality cult are two different things, even if they overlap to some degree. Now if the entire party had taken on these self-delusional stances the term could apply but I don't see that that's the case.

Outright denial of Reality (I've taken to capitalizing it to denote how vitally important it is though it shouldn't be necessary) is where it ALL starts. "Alternate facts". The little mythologies of "how many people were at my inauguration where it wasn't raining" and "thousands of people on rooftops" are the appetizers to see how far the mythologist can take the crazy train.

To this day I ask Rumpbots the question "Where is the Bronx" because they can't answer it. To anyone in the real world the answer is readily obvious but if they say it's a very wonderful place in Germany they're self-identifying with the same self-delusion, and if they say "New York" they're calling their cult leader a liar (which he obviously is).

So I see this as corruptive mass psychology rather than a political movement. Although the term "movement" certainly fits for another reason....

Interesting that my response to the OP was post 15, yet it was also the first one that in any way addressed the topic.

RW Noise Patrol inna house.
That is because it is batshit insane.

That's never a reason for trolling off the topic. If something really is batshit insane, you explain why it's batshit insane. What we have here is diversion, diversion, diversion and a foul ball of Poisoning the Well, nothing on the points made.

Seems to me when a dick army comes in to try to redirect the topic, it's because they're afraid of it.
I'll tell you why it is batshit insane propaganda.

The Biden administration was known to be working on a "Patriot Act II" type legislation to curtail even more of folks civil rights and civil liberties, BEFORE THE CAPITOL HILL RIOT.

This is to soften up left and liberal resistance to that type of legislation, which, in the end, will probably affect THE LEFT more than the right. And YOU, you are friendly to the left, you are are sitting there cheering Toro of all folks?

". . .Theyā€™re not actually worried about ā€œdomestic terrorā€, theyā€™re worried about any movement which threatens to topple the status quo. They want to make sure they can adequately spy, infiltrate, agitate and incarcerate into impotence any movement which provides a threat to Americaā€™s rulers and the system which funnels them wealth and power at the expense of everyone else. The movements which most threaten this are not rightists, who are generally more or less aligned with the interests of the oligarchic empire, but the left.

This is who theyā€™ll end up targeting going forward, and whatever Biden and Company wind up rolling out to fight ā€œdomestic terrorismā€ will help them do so."

The fact of the matter is, Biden is just as much of an authoritarian dirgismatic type politician as any of the typical Neo-cons in the Lincoln project. THEY ALL meet with CFR politicians and Trilateral politicians and do the bidding of corporate American more than caring about the concerns and values of the people.

THAT is the literal definition of fascism, the marriage of government and corporate power.

Just look at who Biden has put in his cabinet and stop being so GD obtuse.

We are in late stage corporatism and neo-corporatism, and it matters not one bit which party is in control, this disease is planet wide now.

Biden Picks ā€œMr. Monsantoā€ Tom Vilsack to Head the USDA

Monsanto Insiders Appointed to Protect Our Food Safety

Why are Monsanto Insiders Now Appointed to Protect Your Food Safety?

I thought you were smarter than this Pogo. . .

,o1 a-2.jpg

Burningly salient points particularly about outright denial of Reality, from which all else flows.

I submit however that these analyses refer to Trumpism rather than the Republican Party. Maybe I'm optimistic but I still distinguish markedly between the two. A political party and a personality cult are two different things, even if they overlap to some degree. Now if the entire party had taken on these self-delusional stances the term could apply but I don't see that that's the case.

Outright denial of Reality (I've taken to capitalizing it to denote how vitally important it is though it shouldn't be necessary) is where it ALL starts. "Alternate facts". The little mythologies of "how many people were at my inauguration where it wasn't raining" and "thousands of people on rooftops" are the appetizers to see how far the mythologist can take the crazy train.

To this day I ask Rumpbots the question "Where is the Bronx" because they can't answer it. To anyone in the real world the answer is readily obvious but if they say it's a very wonderful place in Germany they're self-identifying with the same self-delusion, and if they say "New York" they're calling their cult leader a liar (which he obviously is).

So I see this as corruptive mass psychology rather than a political movement. Although the term "movement" certainly fits for another reason....

Interesting that my response to the OP was post 15, yet it was also the first one that in any way addressed the topic.

That's never a reason for trolling off the topic. If something really is batshit insane, you explain why it's batshit insane. What we have here is diversion, diversion, diversion and a foul ball of Poisoning the Well, nothing on the points made.

Seems to me when a dick army comes in to try to redirect the topic, it's because they're afraid of it.

The Biden administration was known to be working on a "Patriot Act II" type legislation to curtail even more of folks civil rights and civil liberties, BEFORE THE CAPITOL HILL RIOT.

This is to soften up left and liberal resistance to that type of legislation, which, in the end, will probably affect THE LEFT more than the right. And YOU, you are friendly to the left, you are are sitting there cheering Toro of all folks?

". . .Theyā€™re not actually worried about ā€œdomestic terrorā€, theyā€™re worried about any movement which threatens to topple the status quo. They want to make sure they can adequately spy, infiltrate, agitate and incarcerate into impotence any movement which provides a threat to Americaā€™s rulers and the system which funnels them wealth and power at the expense of everyone else. The movements which most threaten this are not rightists, who are generally more or less aligned with the interests of the oligarchic empire, but the left.

This is who theyā€™ll end up targeting going forward, and whatever Biden and Company wind up rolling out to fight ā€œdomestic terrorismā€ will help them do so."

The fact of the matter is, Biden is just as much of an authoritarian dirgismatic type politician as any of the typical Neo-cons in the Lincoln project. THEY ALL meet with CFR politicians and Trilateral politicians and do the bidding of corporate American more than caring about the concerns and values of the people.

THAT is the literal definition of fascism, the marriage of government and corporate power.

We are in late stage corporatism and neo-corporatism, and it matters not one bit which party is in control, this disease is planet wide now.

View attachment 449370

See, you're doing the exact same deflecting off the topic, which you didn't even touch. "B-but but Biden this, b-but Biden that" DOES NOT ADDRESS THE TOPIC AT ALL. And you've used Speculation Fallacy to do it. Not to mention an extremely lengthy Tu Quoque, a/k/a Waddaboutism.

I must conclude you don't touch the topic for the same reason ---- you're afraid of it.

On the other hand you have shown me something new. I did not know Biden could bat lefthanded. That does give him a step-and-a-half advantage out of the box.

Last edited:
Another thread where the right tries to deny they are Authoritarian when we all know what they just spent 4 years fighting for. Their brutal Ideology culminated with a direct attack on democracy on 1/6 and the knowledge that had it been somehow successful the vast majority of republicans would have been just fucking fine with a president that had seized power banana republic style.

^^^ Diagnosis: Terminal Projection and Political Hackery in the Extreme ^^^

ROFL

The left is in full blown totalitarian mode and tyrannical. Its comical how they always project their own nefarious corrupt activities.

Indeed. Nothing says "Free & Fair election" like an Inauguration with 12 foot barbed wires fences, 26,000 uniformed troops, no audience but a small gathering of the Nomenklatura, and body armour for the Ruling Elite.

View attachment 449370

See, you're doing the exact same deflecting off the topic, which you didn't even touch. "B-but but Biden this, b-but Biden that" DOES NOT ADDRESS THE TOPIC AT ALL. And you've used Speculation Fallacy to do it. Not to mention an extremely lengthy Tu Quoque, a/k/a Waddaboutism.

I must conclude you don't touch the topic for the same reason ---- you're afraid of it.

On the other hand you have shown me something new. I did not know Biden could bat lefthanded.
NO, I AM NOT.

I am pointing out, they, the ruling class, and their propaganda arms are playing you for a fool.

You only believe I am going off topic and diverting, because you are living in Plato's cave, seeing only shadows of reality.

I am telling you, you are playing right into their hands, with your emotional reactions to what you are reading and seeing. . . just like they have planned for you.

I just sourced some article to PROVE, what fascism is, versus what you believe it is.

We are moving closer to it now, than we ever have been before. . . but you are in denial. Sorry this triggers you and you want to throw up a bunch of rhetorical devices to deny the pot of boiling water you now find yourself in.

Trump's Inauguration;

GTY-trump-oath-crowd-jef-170120_4x3t_992.jpg

Biden's :heehee:

o1-a-3-jpg.449043

I think I know "fascism" when I see it. :auiqs.jpg:

ROFL

Indeed. Nothing says "Free & Fair election" like an Inauguration with 12 foot barbed wires fences, 26,000 uniformed troops, no audience but a small gathering of the Nomenklatura, and body armour for the Ruling Elite.

Election is not Inauguration. Kinda thought everyone could figure that out.

Actually nothing says "insurrection/attempted coup" like .... what you said above. Kinda thought everyone could figure that out too. Oh and go check out how much security Abe Lincoln had at his. He even had to travel to Washington under cover.

And like almost every other post in here, you're completely off topic. Because you're afraid of it.

Think you're not? Try this simple test. One single question.

----- WHERE is the Bronx?

View attachment 449370

On the other hand you have shown me something new. I did not know Biden could bat lefthanded.
NO, I AM NOT.

I am pointing out, they, the ruling class, and their propaganda arms are playing you for a fool.

You only believe I am going off topic and diverting, because you are living in Plato's cave, seeing only shadows of reality.

I am telling you, you are playing right into their hands, with your emotional reactions to what you are reading and seeing. . . just like they have planned for you.

I just sourced some article to PROVE, what fascism is, versus what you believe it is.

We are moving closer to it now, than we ever have been before. . . but you are in denial. Sorry this triggers you and you want to throw up a bunch of rhetorical devices to deny the pot of boiling water you now find yourself in.

Trump's Inauguration;

GTY-trump-oath-crowd-jef-170120_4x3t_992.jpg

Biden's :heehee:

o1-a-3-jpg.449043

I think I know "fascism" when I see it. :auiqs.jpg:

Now you wanna sit here and play "I'm too stupid". Sad.

ROFL

Be careful though, pogo is wondering around making sure that you don't venture off on your own thought and logical conclusions. THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS: GOP AND THE MARKERS OF FASCISM. You're not allowed to have other thoughts.

No, we're not okay with you

That's because facism will not tolerate or allow criticism or disagreement. Democracy will not allow lying, and facists refuse to tell the truth.

Every day in this forum, right wingers wish death on the left. They whine their fake grievances claiming the right to discrimate against, deny service to, and treat as 2nd class citizens, gays, racial minorities, and religions other than the one they profess to believe in.

Furthermore, the demands of the right, that you allow them to send their children to whites only schools, where they are taught Creationism, that the earth is 6000 years old, and science is whack, are creating a generation of young white people who feel entitled to rule the world on the basis of their white exceptionalism.

The entire Ivy League is turning out these condescending a$$hats by the thousands, leading directly to 3 Republican economic crashes as they pursue profits above all else and without consideration of the broader social implications of doing so. Back in the 1970's, when I was applying to the UWO School of Business, modelled on Harvard, and one of the top Business Schools in the world, I read an opinion piece which said that the Harvard School of Business graduates would bring down the American economy, precisely because it was too bottom line focussed.

Ethics, social responsibility, and harm to the community were all secondary to profits. Vulture capitalist bought, dismantled and sold off corporations, piece by piece, making their profits on the sale of the land and buildings, the equipment, and remaining stocks, spinning off profitable subsidiaries, but leaving one industry towns, with no jobs, no income, and no future.

It is time to restore ethics in business and in politics. Stop the lying. Give everyone a fair piece of the pie, instead of giving it all to the wealthy and leaving hard working Americans needing government assistance to feed their families. Nobody working 40 hours a week should need a government handout to pay basic living expenses. Wages should cover basic food and lodgings, at the very least.

Especially when Amazon, which uses millions of dollars worth of public roads, transportation infrastructure, and requires tens of thousands of highly educated workers, pays nothing for all of these services which the government provides. Not to mention IT patent and trademark protections, private property protections, and international trade agreements provide the corporate infratstructure, and business climate to succeed.

Reward working Americans instead of just wealthy Americans. The workers are hurting. The wealthy are not.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." ā€”Giovanni Gentile* ā€œEncyclopedia Italianaā€

Name me one big corporation that hasn't sided with BLM and other social justice movements. Big tech censors all the opinions you don't like and banking cuts off people's access for having right of center views. Who's the fascist?
Sorry to break this to you, impuretrash , and so many others here who think as you do, but ...

... fascist ā€œcorporatismā€ had nothing to do with modern corporations.

See Corporatism - Wikipedia for different definitions of ā€œCORPORATISMā€ ā€” none of which have anything to do with modern economic organizations of stockholders with legally independent personhood and rights.

Italian ā€œcorporatismā€ was a hodgepodge theory put together by Mussolini in a time when Italian economic corporations were especially weak. Feudal cultural remnants and agricultural landowning fiefdoms, however, still had great influence. Mussoliniā€™s ā€œCorporatismā€ was based on earlier theories that dreamed of having all sections of society working ā€œin harmonyā€ for the glory of the Roman state, a much earlier concept that recognized and wanted no independent self-interested economic centers of power. More to do with Catholic religious theory of guilds, estates, ā€œdivineā€ Kings and Crusades, than it did with huge economic corporations that existed primarily outside of Italy in those days.

That's because facism will not tolerate or allow criticism or disagreement.

So you fully agree that democrats are fascist

Democracy will not allow lying, and facists refuse to tell the truth.

That is a moronic claim.

Every day in this forum, right wingers wish death on the left. They whine their fake grievances claiming the right to discrimate against, deny service to, and treat as 2nd class citizens, gays, racial minorities, and religions other than the one they profess to believe in.

If we ignore that you're flat out fucking lying, that in fact it is you Nazis who deny basic civil rights based on color, that it is you Nazis who relegate the white devils you so bitterly hate to an underclass, to be denied employment, admission in education, and the right to speak because of the color of our skin.

For 10 months you have engaged in prolonged violence with your insurgency, murdering 40 people including police officers, raping women and even homeless men, looting billions of dollars, burning thousands of small businesses with your Kristalnacht.

Furthermore, the demands of the right, that you allow them to send their children to whites only schools, where they are taught Creationism, that the earth is 6000 years old, and science is whack, are creating a generation of young white people who feel entitled to rule the world on the basis of their white exceptionalism.

Don't you Nazis demand that schools be free of whites? That colored people be provided an environment where they are safe from the inferior race that you so bitterly hate?

The entire Ivy League is turning out these condescending a$$hats by the thousands, leading directly to 3 Republican economic crashes as they pursue profits above all else and without consideration of the broader social implications of doing so. Back in the 1970's, when I was applying to the UWO School of Business, modelled on Harvard, and one of the top Business Schools in the world, I read an opinion piece which said that the Harvard School of Business graduates would bring down the American economy, precisely because it was too bottom line focussed.

Ethics, social responsibility, and harm to the community were all secondary to profits. Vulture capitalist bought, dismantled and sold off corporations, piece by piece, making their profits on the sale of the land and buildings, the equipment, and remaining stocks, spinning off profitable subsidiaries, but leaving one industry towns, with no jobs, no income, and no future.

It is time to restore ethics in business and in politics. Stop the lying. Give everyone a fair piece of the pie, instead of giving it all to the wealthy and leaving hard working Americans needing government assistance to feed their families. Nobody working 40 hours a week should need a government handout to pay basic living expenses. Wages should cover basic food and lodgings, at the very least.

Especially when Amazon, which uses millions of dollars worth of public roads, transportation infrastructure, and requires tens of thousands of highly educated workers, pays nothing for all of these services which the government provides. Not to mention IT patent and trademark protections, private property protections, and international trade agreements provide the corporate infratstructure, and business climate to succeed.

Reward working Americans instead of just wealthy Americans. The workers are hurting. The wealthy are not.

You rarely tell the truth, and this is no exception.

Virtually nothing in your hate filled bigotry has any relation to reality.
We get it, you hate white people and want to eradicate the entire race. The Reich has taught you that all problems, past and present are because of the inferior race you so bitterly hate. The Reich has you focused on the idea that every wrong, every ill, every injustice, is because of the white race. You are justified in your hatred, and the Reich media confirms it with every TV show you watch. The little Goebbels confirm that the whites, Der Juden, are the enemy you must focus on.

You will certainly devise a final solution to the problem.

That's because facism will not tolerate or allow criticism or disagreement.

So you fully agree that democrats are fascist

Democracy will not allow lying, and facists refuse to tell the truth.

That is a moronic claim.

If we ignore that you're flat out fucking lying, that in fact it is you Nazis who deny basic civil rights based on color, that it is you Nazis who relegate the white devils you so bitterly hate to an underclass, to be denied employment, admission in education, and the right to speak because of the color of our skin.

For 10 months you have engaged in prolonged violence with your insurgency, murdering 40 people including police officers, raping women and even homeless men, looting billions of dollars, burning thousands of small businesses with your Kristalnacht.

Don't you Nazis demand that schools be free of whites? That colored people be provided an environment where they are safe from the inferior race that you so bitterly hate?

You rarely tell the truth, and this is no exception.

Virtually nothing in your hate filled bigotry has any relation to reality.
We get it, you hate white people and want to eradicate the entire race. The Reich has taught you that all problems, past and present are because of the inferior race you so bitterly hate. The Reich has you focused on the idea that every wrong, every ill, every injustice, is because of the white race. You are justified in your hatred, and the Reich media confirms it with every TV show you watch. The little Goebbels confirm that the whites, Der Juden, are the enemy you must focus on.

You will certainly devise a final solution to the problem.
I donā€™t always agree with our Dragonlady , but this comment of yours is just loony paranoia, not even worth discussing.

Forum List

Back